Vegetables

gina

Cathlete
How in the world do you all manage to get in your vegetables? Do you eat fresh, frozen, canned? Cooked, raw? Any special preparation tips? Any you especially like? I am way behind on vegetables! Do those in canned soup count in your book? Gina

I try to cram a serving or two of vegetables into my sandwich for lunch each day: a little bit of ham and cheese and a LOT of fresh spinach and tomato. Also, stir fry is an easy way to get some more vegetables into your diet. I use frozen or fresh vegetables. I've been reading up a little and a "serving" was much smaller than I expected, so this may not be as impossible as it looked on paper! Gina, we are on the same fetal week! Good luck!

Add cooked vegetables to a salad, add raw ones to burritos. Vegetable juices. Big piles of vegetables as a side dish.

Vegetable juices! That is another really good idea. I am in the habit of not drinking calories (excpet protein powder with water) so it never occurred to me. Since getting pregnant, I have replaced by protein drink with skim milk. \

Thanks, Gina

Here is how I am taking control of meeting my nutritional needs. Maybe many of you have already been eating well, but my diet has been lacking in vegetables and calcium. Thanks goodness my protein powder was supplemented heavily!

From "What to Expect When you are Expecting", I found a list of 7 food groups you should each day. It included (1)protein, (2)calcium, (3)vit.c, (4)green leafy & yellow fruits and vegetables, (5)other fruits and vegetables, (6)carbs, and (7)iron. It listed foods that fall into each group and how much of that food is a serving. It also tells how many servings a day you need from each group. And I too was surprised how small a serving is!

From that entire list, I chose those that I am likely to eat or at least try. I figured out stuff like 8 oz. of milk = 1 cup and that it takes 2 slices of my fat free cheese to be one serving. Then I laid it an excel page with the foods down the left and the days of the week across the top. I will put it on my fridge and count off what I eat. This way I can also see visually where I am falling short each day /week and in which category. Also, over time I will be able to see if I just keep eating the same things and need to choose some others for variety.

I suspect that for a while I am going to find myself just eating a bowl of broccoli by itslef until I can figure out how to put all of this together into a meal.

Gina

Oh yea--calcium fortified V8 is on my list and I have already eaten raw spincah on a sandwich!

(For the record, I really didn't bother to list protein and carbs since I will absolutely eat the protein and I think the carbs will take care of themselves. If I added them, then it wouldn't have all fit on one page.)

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.