Thought I was doing so well....

jeffsmom

Hi everyone. I haven't posted for awhile because of busyness but I have to get your opinions.

I am in my 26th week of my 2nd pregnancy. (1st was 8 yrs ago!) Anyway, I gained 68 lbs with my first and took it all off!!! This time, I am continuing to work out with Cathe and trying to control my diet...although not doing as well as I would like with my intake.

I went to my OB appt. yesterday and I have a great Dr. who is an avid athlete and very supportive on working out and all. I have gained a total of 14 lbs so far. I was pleased with that, being that I have about 15 weeks to go and I thought I could keep it under 30 lbs. She said to me "oh, oh...it looks like we are gaining a bit of weight now." What was THAT anyway? I did gain 6 lbs in a month, but had only gained 8 in my first 21 weeks. Do you think I am OK? I know you will all say I am doing fine...but really, give me your stories. I need a little motivation to keep feeling good about myself and my little buddy that hangs out with me everywhere I go!

Thanks ladies.

Becky

Hi Becky! I'm not an expert on the subject but am 23 weeks with my fourth child. With my first 3, I gained 45 lbs each time and took it off easily with the first 2, and never did quite lose the last 10 lbs with my third. Therefore, I started out heavier with this baby (hopefully it won't be that much harder to lose :-hmmm ).

It seems to me that only gaining 14 lbs at 26 weeks is excellent! It probably just seems like a big gain all of a sudden because you had only gained 8 lbs in the first 21 weeks. I'm sure your doctor's comment was based on that fact. I've gained 12 lbs so far which my doctor thinks is just fine (keep in mind I started higher than I wanted to, though). The most important thing is to be healthy and don't deprive yourself or your baby in the interest of keeping your weight gain lower. Listen to your body, keep up with your workouts as you can, and let your body grow your little miracle! It sounds like you're doing great. When is your due date?

Take care!
Sandi

You know what? You are!

It's all about what you are doing... NOT what you are seeing on the scale. If you were eating doughnuts 3 meals a day, potato chips in between, and washing it all down with hot cocoa while lying on the couch, I might tell you otherwise, but you are moving your body and taking care with what you are eating, and so you are doing GREAT!

I sometimes wonder about OBs... one of the moms in my prenatal class is in her 3rd trimester. She is on the thin to normal side and is all belly. At one of her last visits, she'd gained a little more than usual, and her OB started telling her that she'd really better be careful... and that she'd really want to work to get her abs back! Luckily this is a 2nd time mom with a good sense of humor who knows that she got if off once and will do it again... but GEEESH! What was that doctor thinking?

As for me... I gained 43 lbs. w/ number one and took it off with exercise & nursing in 4 mos. and 38 lbs. with number 2 and took it off in 3 mos. the same way. Some doctor's visits, I lost a pound... other times, I gained 4 or 5...

Like Sheila always reminds her moms... muscles have memory... and you'll have a much easier time getting back into the swing of exercise afterwards because you are exercising now. :)
Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.