Strength Training in Early Pregnancy

Why hello everyone! I guess I'm transitioning into this forum now. I found out last week that I am (finally) pregnant after being on and off of clomid for several months. Ironically, I conceived without the clomid so this is truly a blessing! However, because the pregnancy is still so early my doctor wants me to really take it easy on the exercise for a little bit. Of course I freaked because I am so active. My question to you all is - as far as strength training, is there a particular Cathe program that's better for my situation at this point? Before I found out about the preggers, I was doing pyramid upper on Monday and then Muscle Endurance upper on Saturday and have been very pleased with my results. My nurse told me I might want to reduce my weight by half at this point (??!!) but I'd like to hear what others have done to modify. Thanks so much!

Congrats on your pregnancy! We have a weekly check-in, if you'd like to join us. Like you, many of us had a long, difficult TTC life. But you've made it! Yahoo!!!
I can't offer any strength training advice b/c I'm more of a cardio junkie. ;) I've had some bledding/spotting since conception, so working out is off limits to me as of yet. In the past though, I've continued my workouts,...careful not to become anaerobic. With weight training, your balance is what may become an issue later on.
Congrats again!

I reduced the weight I use. The heaviest barbell weight I will use for squats is 18 pounds (some days I reduce it 10 or 12), and I use dumbbells up to 10 pounds. I wasn't a "heavy" lifter before; actually, I had just purchased my 20 and 25 lb dumbbells when I found I was pregnant LOL

Sometimes I do the exercises without any weight, because some days I just feel too winded.

Listen to your body, and modify as necessary. I have taken a riser out of my high step when doing leg presses (from 5 to 4) because 5 leaves me breathless now!

Check out Cathe's sticky post at the top of this forum. She also recommends the book Fit to Deliver, which I have but seems a bit disorganizes to me so I haven't really looked at it carefully.

Thanks :) Yeah, I've waited a long time for this pregnancy but this 30 minutes on the treadmill stuff is nonsense. haha! I'm waiting for the green light to kick it up a notch but I really don't want to stop lifting - even if it's a little lighter than what I've been used to.

The important thing is not to become out of breath when working out (or breathing heavy). Your goal should be to maintain, not excel these next couple of months. You just have to listen to your body.

How far along are you? I've never been able to ditch the strong fatigue that hits my first trimester, beginning around 6th week. For me it holds on until week 13-14. Second trimester is good, then it gets difficult again in 3rd trimsester. With that said, I worked out with Cathe my entire pregnancies,...just did 1/2 videos at a time if needed,....many times just the 45 minute premixes. I did KPC in it's entirity the day OF delivery of our 2nd & 3rd babies. I did those with all the jumps & kicks,...in hopes of delivering! LOL

I've always continued my workouts and we did very invasive medical help. However, I would consider the knowledge of your doctor/nurse in terms of fitness. When all else fails, defer to the doctors. That's always the best option. I did a lot of cardio and weight training all through my pregnancy and we did IVF.

Thanks everyone. I'm very early in the pregnancy. So early that the sonogram didn't pick up the sac yet so I'm trying to keep it cool. Last night I opted to do LIS from 4DS and can you believe I was thisclose to not being able to finish?!!!! I was absolutely wiped out! I find myself becoming very tired around 2 - 3pm. Anyways...thanks for your support. This is my second pregnancy but I feel like I'm brand new at it!

How far along are you? My dr did not find a sac in week 4, but in week 6 found 2 heartbeats!!! Are they monitoring your HCG levels?

I stopped STS when i got to week 7. I just felt like I was stretching my core muscles too much. My doctor recommends pregnant women lifting no more than 10 lbs, and when I heard that, I thought what's the point!?

Now, in my 22nd week, I still strength train but with much lighter weights and modifications. I did Super Sets this weekend, eliminating all the core work except the obliques. Any time I felt I was stretching my core--and baby!--too much I stopped the exercise. For example, I no longer do pull-overs for back or even tricept extensions lying on my back.

Anyway, all doctors are different and some more fearful than others, but I did purchase Cathe's Low Impact Step and I find the strength training on that DVD very doable now. And I do the strength training in Body Fusion; I even do the strength training from Cathe's older wedding video. However, I have put aside my heavy weight routines like STS, Maximum Intensity Strength, and Muscle Max. I'm thinking I'll reach for these immediately to get back in shape after the baby.

take care,
Dawn

Hey Melanie! Sorry about the delayed response. Well, my doctor is still unsure about how far exactly but approximates around 4 - 5 weeks. I had another sonogram today and she found a small sac and what looks like is the fetal pole (that sounds gross, haha) so I go back next week for another one. Yes, they're monitoring my HCG levels like crazy. I went in twice last week and had it done today. So far they're rising as they should. I was on clomid for quite some time and went off for a few months. Ironically, I conceived without the use of the clomid but since my periods are few and far between and I ovulate so irregularly, a date of conception is impossible to get from me. I can't believe you were doing KPC on the day you delivered!! Just *typing* this makes me exhausted, haha! I've got a wicked case of exhaustion. My doctor has advised against any kind of exercise besides an "agressive" walk and that really threw me for a loop. But all the feedback I get from you wonderful ladies really puts me at ease, thanks so much :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.