Questions for mom's with c-sections -- need advice

cyclinggirl

Cathlete
Hi,

I had an emergency c-section on Nov 24th, Sunday will be 3 weeks. I'm feeling pretty good and my incision is healing well. I'm just wondering about a few things and hoping that some of you who've been through this can give me advice and answer a few questions. I've done some research online of course, but would love some personal stories/insight.

1) How soon after your surgery did you see your OB-GYN for them to check your recovery? And how many times did they want to see you?

2) I haven't seen my OB-GYN yet, seems strange to me but it looks like I'm supposed to have a 6 week appt. I plan to call and verify this Monday. What did they tell you to absolutely avoid doing in terms of physical activity? (other than sex)

3) My back is killing me from nursing and carrying the baby. I think my core is rotten at this point but I'm wary of doing any core/ab work due to the surgery. I've been trying to stretch out on the floor and exercise ball. What did you do to ease into exercising and strengthening again?

4) Any other tips or advice on recovering and getting fit?

Thanks in advance for your help!!! :)

Best,
Steph

1. I think my doctors saw me at 4 weeks for the 2 c/s that I had. Not sure if I returned after that.

2. my doctors let me get back into activity as soon as I thought I could. At about 2-3 weeks I took short walks, then advanced slowly as I thought was ok. I dug out a lot of the old cathe "steady state" videos.

I did wait for 6 weeks until I tried ANYTHING core related- that was the only "rule" my dr. gave me. I know I was running again and doing step by 10 weeks. I probably didn't start with long runs or interval stuff until 3 months.

3. See Above.

4. Ignore all the people who'd rather you sit on your a$$ just because you had a c/s. Move at your pace. Most drs. I've had/known have urged me to get moving again at my comfort level. Remember you were probably in MUCH better shape than most women before they gave birth.

That's just my opinion. FWIW, I had a c/s, then a VBAC, then a C/s. My core could use a lot of improvement.

Hi Steph! Glad you are recovering well from your c-section. I will try to answer some of your questions from what I remember (a little over 2 yrs. ago) from my "emergency" c-section.

1. After I left the hospital, I was there for 4 days, I didn't see my OB-GYN until my 6 wk. appointment. I think that is pretty standard, unless you are having problems.

2. Not lifting anything heavier than the baby (around 10 lbs.). They also told me no driving for several weeks either.

3. I really didn't do much formal exercising (just some walking) until I got the all clear at the 6 wk. check-up. I was just too paranoid about ripping something open accidentally.

4. After the 6 wk. point, I slowly eased back into exercising and didn't over-do it. I recovered (I think) pretty quickly and ran my 1st 1/2 marathon before my son was even a year old. So don't worry, you'll get back into shape! I just think it's really important not to over-do it, like when you are recovering from an injury. The setback can be alot worse than the initial event.

Hope that helps! :)

BTW, did you think the hypnobabies training you did helped you at all? I am still listening to my CD's and hoping for the best! Not much longer (hopefully).

Marsha

Hi Kristan & Marsha, Thank you!

I'm glad you both chimed in, it helps to get the personal side of cs recovery...sounds like both of you recovered well too -- that's good news for me. I plan to take it easy & mostly walk and use some light hand weights for my arms. Sienna is teeny, not a big workout, still under 6lbs so I want to tone my arms a bit...since it's one body part that's safe!

Marsha, hypnobabies did help me to reduce my pain during the 12 hours I spent prior to the C. I was induced and they told me that my contractions were longer than normal (no real rests in between) and they were very strong. Since this was my first labor I had nothing to compare them to but I was pleased to know that my hypnobabies techniques were helping. I felt discomfort but focused on breathing and creating natural anesthesia. It also helped me deal with my fear of the spinal block -- my biggest fear was permanent lower paralysis.") yikes!!!

Honestly, adjusting to the idea of a c-section after so much prep with Hypnobabies and focusing on a naural birth was the hardest part of it. I got really angry w/myself for not learning more about c-sections and not being more open to the idea, just in case. That can do anumber on you mentally, so I totally understand why so many women get depressed after a c-section!

In my case I think the section saved my baby's life...she was in distress and not doing well w/the contractions AND I was barely dilated & not progressing. I was already past 42 weeks so they really needed to get her OUT. During the surgery they found very low amniotic fluid, so she wasn't getting enough oxygen all along. I'm sure that all of these things have made me less regretful than many women who are forced to have c-sections. But...on some level I still feel like a hypnobabies failure and have not posted my story to the HB list. ") Gotta step over that...

Marsha, I soooo hope you have a wonderful labor and take it in stride too. I guess it's best to be gentle w/yourself and use the HB tools as much as you can given whatever circunstances unfold. Since you've had a c-section already you have a huge advantage in terms of awareness.

I'll say some prayers for a super smooth and fast natural delivery for you! :) When are you due?

All my best,

Steph

Steph-

I does sound like your c-section was medically necessary, you shouldn't feel bad about that! I'd go ahead and post your birth story, after all the hypnobabies stuff did help. I always love hearing that, as the time is close. I'm 38 wks this weekend. I was 3 cm. dialted and 70% effaced at my appointment yesterday, so far so good. Now if I and the entire family could get over this nasty cold we've had all week I'd be happy!

Congrats again and have a great holiday!

Hey Marsha,

Thanks for the encouragement and BIG congrats on your progress! ...you're rapidly moving in the right direction. I'll send natural birth vibes your way. Sounds like you could easily have a nice "gift" on Christmas day -- so cool. Though I'm sure your family might rather you deliver on another day. :)

Hope you all feel better soon. Sienna has her first cold too -- 'tis the season.

Enjoy the holiday and keep us posted.

Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.