Question about constipation

Juliakay

Hello all - I don't post frequently but have learned so much from you ladies! I am about 20 weeks along now and for the past week and a half have had trouble with constipation, despite eating plenty of fiber (25-30 grams/day), drinking plenty of water (80-90 oz./day), and exercising 5 days/week. I understand this is pretty common in pregnancy but I have never had these problems before! My doctor said it's okay to use a stool softener called Colace, and I took it twice, several days apart,which was helpful each time I took it. My concern is I seem to be getting in a pattern where I am unable to go unless I take the Colace and this does not seem healthy. Any ideas or suggestions from you moms who have dealt with this problem? Thanks for your input!
Julia

Hi Julia! I tried two different things. I first used Shaklee's herb-lax because I felt better taking a natural (food-based) supplement than a drug-like one. I also use Shaklee's soy protein drink every day as an additional source of nutrition (sometimes 2-3xs a day in addition to meals). I found that for a while when I stopped, the constipation could only be alleviated with Herb-Lax. When I went by on my soy protein I had no problems.

As we all say - "Everyone is different" but I thought I'd let you know what's helpful. You technically have to be a member of Shaklee to purchase their products but I order for friends who aren't yet members all the time - if you're interested.

Hope this helps! If you'd like any information on what I take, you can e-mail me at [email protected].

good luck! jeni

What works for me (like clock work) is Barley Green. If I don't take it even when I'm not pregnant I have trouble. It is just a green drink, I buy it from a distributor, but you can get similar products in health food stores. It is not a laxative, just a food suplement that is full of vitamins and minerals that you would get from green veggies but also works so well for me in this area.

If your prenatal vitamin has extra iron, ask your OB whether you need it... iron pills often cause constipation. It also can be a culprit in morning sickness. There are prenatals that come without it.

Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.