Postpartum Depression

Sheila

Cathlete
Since we've had a post on this subject I thought I'd take the opportunity to do some "educating." Here is an excerpt from my Healthy Moms(R) Perinatal Fitness Instructor Training Manual. Our training course contains an entire section titled "Psychological Changes of Pregnancy and Postpartum." I am passionate about training my instructors to recognize the signs and symptoms of PPD because in 1992 I had a mom in my perinatal fitness class who suffered true "postpartum psychosis." She was almost to the point of killing her baby when she ran out of her apartment and came to MY CLASS. Long story short, mom underwent intense inpatient psychiatric therapy and baby is now a healthy 10 year old.

“Postpartum Depression” (PPD)

This all encompassing term actually includes three separate categories. These categories include “baby blues,” true postpartum depression and postpartum psychosis. We will discuss each category separately below.

“Baby Blues”

· Incidence: ~80% of all new moms experience “baby blues.”
· Symptoms: Mom may cry easily and for no reason. She may have mood swings, be forgetful, irritable, and in some cases feel unworthy
· Duration: “Baby blues” usually lasts only a few days.
· Treatment: There is no formal treatment for “baby blues.” Rest, good nutrition, and help with babycare will usually help diminish or alleviate the symptoms

Postpartum Depression

“True” Postpartum Depression is an actual physical illness, which affects the brain.

· Incidence: ~10-20% of all new moms experience true postpartum depression
· Symptoms: Interference with activities of daily living, lingering sadness, feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, insomnia, guilt, appetite changes, and anxiety
· Duration: 2 or more weeks
· Treatment: Medications and counseling
· Postpartum depression may be triggered by the major hormone fluctuations occurring during the early postpartum period. It may also be triggered by weaning, another time of major hormonal fluctuation.
· Non-hormonal factors may also have a part. Cases of postpartum depression have been seen in fathers as well as adoptive parents.

Postpartum Psychosis

Postpartum psychosis is very serious in that there is a very good chance that mom will inflict harm on herself and/or her baby.

· Incidence: ~1-2 per 1000 new moms
· Symptoms: Hallucinations, hearing voices, severe depression, mania or both, paranoia, etc.
· Duration: Variable
· Treatment: Inpatient psychiatric treatment

How we can help as prenatal fitness instructors:

· Allow moms to talk about their feelings. Remember your class is a support group as well as a fitness class. Personal trainers should encourage new moms to get involved with other new moms.
· Promote exercise and good nutrition.
· Know where to refer your clients if you see a potential problem.
· DEPRESSION AFTER DELIVERY
PO Box 1282
Morrisville, PA 19067
(800) 944-4PPD or (215) 295-3994

Sheila,
We are so lucky to have you here on this forum. It is very obvious that you love your job and your clients. Just wanted you to know that we are thankful for you.

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.