Oh so cute nursing gown

Forgive me for being a total idiot but why do I need a nursing gown? I do plan to nurse but can't I sleep in my regular clothes and just remove my top or whatever? This is my first so I have no clue if I am thinking on the right track or not.

And if it says it is braless, does that mean I will be needing to sleep in a bra?!?!?!?!?!?! I hate bras. I am currently wearing them even when I am home (which is highly unusual) but not sleeping in them.

The gown is lovely but I am cheap for sure and would not spend that much on any one piece of clothing.

I hate to tell you but you will be bound to a nursing bra until the day your babe is totally weaned, unless you are in the shower! You will leak like a faucet and make you, your bed and possibly your husband wet with milk - no joke (especially in the beginning, you probably won't leak quite as much as you have nursed for a while, but you always will leak some). You can sleep in just a bra and that would be fine, but hiking up a shirt in bed is SO impractical and hard to do swiftly - especially at 1:00 am, 3:00 am, 5:00 am and 7:00 am ... I think you get the point, your nursing a TON (and it's like this for a while w/a newborn) and effeciency is KEY. If you have something on, you need it to unbutton, or pull over in the top area to get to the breast- but always have a bra on! I suggest you go to a breastfeeding class at your hospital so you have no surprises about nursing. If your breast haven't started to leak yet, most likely they will before you deliver (mine have - oh the joy), and after you deliver it's like a geiser for a while - unless you have low milk production. You need to invest in good nursing bras and NURSING PADS!!! You never know when your milk will let down, or what will set it off. Oh and to reveal more nursing fun facts - they leak when you have an orgasim. Sorry to break to you, but you might as well know now. I had no clue - I was wet and frustrated!!! Anyway it's not all bad, nursing is one of the most amazing bonding moments you can have with your baby (not to make those who aren't feel bad or less of a great mommy!). I actually cried when I weaned my son! Anyway, a good book on breastfeeding would be a must if you are nursing, so you can grab it if you are having a hard time or think your breasts are having problems.

Goodluck - oh and a cheapy Target top would be fine! :)

I just wanted to chime in here and say that I have been breastfeeding my daughter for 3 months now and I do not wear a bra to sleep. I haven't had many leaking problems and my breast were small to begin with so I'm not really that big.

That said I did by a nightgown very similar to the one on this thread. (got mine from MiMi Maternity). It is really comfortable but I have to admit that I find it easier to just sleep topless. This way I don't have to fumble with clothing when I am half a sleep. Rylee is sleeping in our room (half the night in her cradle and the other half in our bed) . So I don't really get out of bed to feed her either. It has worked very well and I am getting a lot more sleep this way.

I also need to second the recomendation for a breastfeeding book! It's not the easiest thing in the world. It took me and my daughter a good month to get the hang of it. The best advice is to hang in there for at least a month and not give up.

Now I got to get back to packing! We're moving this week and things are so crazy!!!

Imani

Wow, your the first bf mom I know who hasn't had leaking problems! - lucky (not going to tell you HOW jealous I am, as I'm already getting spots on my night shirt! ;) ) So I guess the answer would be - just wait and see. Just keep it in mind for the future.

I've never really gotten much use out of nursing bras/pads/gowns/shirts/etc. They just seemed like a lot of trouble and money. For nursing bras, i just wore softer, but supportive, bras without underwires that could be 'hiked up.' In fact, i wore loose jog bras. i thought the nursing bras out there were a rip off and of poor quality. when i went back to work (parttime), I even went back to underwires so my boobs weren't flopping all over the place. I would put the pump under my shirt, which was usually a stretchy turtlneck.

i never have bought the nursing shirts/tanks/etc. Again, i just hike up whatever shirt i am wearing. And, I still have a box of breastfeeding bra insert pad thingies from child #1 that are still 1/2 full.

as for sleeping, i always wore a tee shirt/no bra. this way, my nipples could 'air out' at night. i leaked a little at first, but it's not like my tee shirts weren't already trashed and headed to the wash due to spit up, dog slobber, kid puke, etc.

that's just my experience. I think i was lucky with breastfeeding- it was pretty easy for me and never a hassle.

kristan, ue 11-1 with #3

Ooh, I have heard all about the leaking. I still think I will just sleep in a top though-I hate bras! I am taking a course in September so hope to learn more.

The baby will not be in our room though so I will be feeding in the glider. DH will still have to work but I will be staying home so I see no need to wake him. I am going to sleep upstairs near the baby and let him rest as well as he can downstairs.

No leaking yet. I did not realize I should be yet, I am only 25 weeks along. I guess I just better enjoy it as long as it lasts!

Oh, I just realized you are right around where I am, Julie. Wow, and you are already leaking? I wonder if that means something is wrong with me? So far I have noticed something on my nipples at night when I bathe (it appears to be yellow) but I was not sure what it was and my tops are not getting wet, as far as I can tell.

I guess I will just be patient until my breastfeeding course in September.

I can not believe we are so close to the same time, too funny:)

No the question should be what is wrong with me! ;) My milk supply was always high - maybe I have a higher level than the norm. I was shocked last week as I walked from the bedroom to the bathroom and was dripping on my belly! Oh well - I'll say it - MOO ! :7 Just like pregnancy every woman is different in nursing. There is no way I could not have a bra on w/out a nursing pad - ever! Guys don't think it's hot to have spots IYKWIM, hard nipples yes, spots no :p

Oh the yellow is probably dried small amounts of colostrum - that's how it starts ;)

I just noticed yesterday after I got out of the shower that I have started leaking already. With my son, I didn't have any leakage until after I delivered.

I didn't leak much at night either and I just wore a t-shirt to bed. I only bought one nursing bra and felt it was more of a hassle to me. I just hiked up my reg bra. Never bought any type of nursing clothes either. Just made sure I always had a blanket with me in case I need to feed him.

In the beginning the bf was rough but I was so determined not to give up. After about a month he had the hang of it.

I never bought nursing apparel either. I slept just in my bra and bottoms. I did buy nursing bras though. But I am thinking of getting on of these, I just heard nothing but praises, so it might be a nice alternative for an outfit. www.glamourmom.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.