Newly pregnant--have question

Beets

Cathlete
I just took a pregnancy test last week and it came out positive. I was playing around on ahealthyme.com and they have due date calculators, conception calculators,etc. Anway, if I am indeed pregnant (I go for the blood test tomorrow), the website said I am in my 6th week approximately. My question is: should I be feeling anything different? It is so early but I have been feeling very crampy for the past few weeks. Is it because things are changing in "there" or is it all in my head? It just seems to early to be feeling anything. Also, if any of you got morning sickness, when did that kick in? So far, nothing for me and I hope it stays that way--but, again, probably too early in the game. I KNOW NOTHING about what I should be going through! Any comments will help the newbie! Thanks in advance!

Welcome Beets!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations! I'm pregnant with my first too. Many women get cramps like the ones they get before and sometime during their periods. I found that my initial physical "signs" were similar to my menstrual cycle signs. You'll find lots of support and advice here. One of my favorite suggestions was to check out storknet.com. It gives you a week-by-week play of what (generally) is happening in "there" and to mom.

Congratulations again and keep us posted as to your progress!!!

Thanks for the quick reply! The cramps I am getting are just like the ones I get before my period so I am glad to hear that this is normal. I had read somewhere that cramping can be a sign of miscarriage so that is the first thing that popped into my head. How far along are you? When did you start to tell people? I am DYING to tell people! We are going to a big party with all of our college friends (friends of over 19 years who ALL have children!) and I REALLY want to tell them while we are all together but I am afraid to jinx myself. Everyone says you should wait until after the third month--I think I will burst if I have to wait that long!

Hi Beets!
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am 30 weeks pregnant with my 4th child (3rd pregnancy because of twins). With my first, I got morning sickness at 6 weeks, my twin pregnancy I got it at 5 1/2 weeks and this one I was just over 5 weeks - in fact, the morning sickness was how I figured out that I was pregnant since I have crazy cycles and didn't know that I was late. Hopefully, you won't get morning sickness - if you do, it's miserable, but worth it! The crampy feeling is normal - a lot of women have it and it is kind of scary because it is a natural reaction to automatically think something is going wrong. Every pregnancy is different - many women experience a lot of fatigue in their first trimester, breast tenderness, morning sickness, etc. and other women have no symptoms at all.
Best wishes for a wonderful pregnancy!! :)
Erica

The earliest I ever felt morning sickness was around 3 days post-conception. Yep, before the little sweetie even implanted. I can't explain it, but since it was a surprise pregnancy and I had no reason to think I might be preggers, it couldn't have been in my head. In fact I put off doing a test, assuming I had ovulated late ( and thus wasn't actually late for my period yet ) because I had been so sick for so long. DUH! ;-)

Out of the 4 pregnancies that "took", I had 2 where I was sick before I missed my period, one where it hit me around 6 weeks, and one where my only pregnancy symptom was fatigue ( that hit before I was late for my period ). The crampiness is totally normal. I experienced it with all of my pregnancies. Oh, my strangest pregnancy synptom was when peanut butter tasted so bitter to me ( just shortly after we found out I was preggers ) that I almost threw it out. Then my husband tasted it, and it was fine. :)

Good luck and congratulations!!

Erin

Congratulations :) If you have a positive hpt, then you can pretty much bank on the fact that you are pregnant...

With both of my pregnancies, at 6 weeks pregnant, I was feeling exhausted & queasy, and my boobs were swollen... but morning sickness can kick in at any time during the pregnancy. All of that being said, pregnancy is a very individual thing. Some women have every symptom you can imagine... others have none at all. Crampiness isn't unheard of in the early stages, but mention it to your OB just the same...
susan

I'm terrible at keeping my pregnancies to myself... but I once got good advice on this topic... before the 3rd month, tell only the people that you would seek consolation from in the event that something would happen...
susan

I am just finishing up 26 weeks with my first. I was horribly sick the first trimester so keeping it a secret was challenging. Because of my phsyical symptoms, I had to tell my place of employment and my two best friends (I went on a "girls weekend out" and had to explain why Jeni the party girl was puking and sleeping all day!!). We told me in-laws and parents two weeks before the third trimester was up because I had been avoiding my family for two and a half months and it was getting a little hard to keep blowing them off!!:)

Anyhoo, I teach exercise classes in addition to a full-time job and finally got so fed up with my sickness, nauseau, headache, spaciness, fatigue, breast tenderness...I could go on. So, I sent out an e-mail here and got such great replies that I can hope for things to change somewhere between weeks 10-14. Sure enough, at week 12 I started to feel like my old self again.

While you should DEFINITELY use your practitioner for any concerns, this is also a great place to "second guess", gain support and empathy or just vent.

Welcome and congratulations again!!

Congrat's Beets! Aren't those websites fun? Remember, too, that toward the bottom of our "links" page, we have a whole section for pregnancy websites. As for cramps, during the times that we were trying, it always felt like I was just about to have my period and I would go in and out of this feeling. Many months I did actually get my period but then that one special month I didn't ;-)! I never got sick but I just experienced bouts of nausea throughout a given day at around three weeks to about 11 or 12 weeks. Keep us posted!

Thank you all again for your support, replies, etc. I feel truly honored that the infamous Cathe Friedrich replied to little ole me!!! Anyway, just got back from my appointment with my primary. I fully expected a blood test but she said no need--the home pregnancy tests are enough. I did have to do a urine sample though. I have my first prenatal appointments set up and I have an "early pregnancy" class that my health care provider offers next week. My god, I guess it is official! Now, if I can just not spill the beans! I'll keep you all posted!

Hey, good luck to you, Miz Beets! I hardly ever look at these pregnancy threads, but just happened to glance at them today.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.