Need to vent...

Tammyspq

Cathlete
(Fitnik - you can probably relate!)

O.K. - first let me say that I am a certified group exercise instructor and have taught pre/post-natal fitness (on and off) since 1993. All my friends and family know that I have taught exercise classes since 1987. I have run the Chicago marathon twice, with proper training and nutritional considerations. I teach 4 BodyPUMP classes a week and have for over two years. I tend to do cardio on my own as I also have a full-time job. I am by far, the most physically active of all my friends and relatives and am usually the source of support and guidance when they want to start/change exercise programs. I've taught childre up through seniors. I'm very extroverted and opionated but am also in the field of social services full-time = so I am also a compassionate person. I will be your cheerleader/coach and also your conscience - especially if I love you.

So...WHY MUST ALL FRIENDS AND FAMILY FREAK OUT THAT I AM STILL MYSELF WHILE PREGNANT????!!!!!

I have six nieces and nephews. My oldest nephew, who is 5.5 years old, is my buddy. Since he learned to walk, our official greeting is for me to squat down to his level and let him run up to me and jump in my arms. This is then followed by my turning him around, count to three and he jumps up to get on my shoulders. Well, Saturday I did this (I am 22 weeks and showing moderately) and had his mother, my mother, my father, a best-friend, another friend and Lord knows who else see this and start freaking out! "Jeni! (that's my real name)don't do that, you'll hurt yourself." "Andrew, don't let Jeni do that - you're too heavy". Over and over again until he became afraid and said he wanted to get down. Then, I tried to hug him when he left and my sister-in-law (mother of Andrew and two other wild children) made a big to-do about me having a baby (this was the second time). End result? My nephew will not hug me and when I try to talk to him he steps back and puts his hands behind his back.

I am soooo upset about this. FIRST, what hurts most is that they think I'm enough of a spaz and imbecile to do something to hurt my unborn child just to be the cool auntie. SECOND, most people yelling at me are either out of shape, overweight or (in my opinion) lazy. THIRD, I have never seen ANY of these individuals "properly" pick up a child (they always bend at the waist). FOURTH, (and yes I did say this), I told them to shut up and then thanked them for freaking out my nephew.

THEN, they accuse me of being crabby because of my pregnancy hormones!!!! It was all I could do not to swear a blue streak and kick them out of my house (which really would have ruined my husband's grad. school graduation party).

I mean, I would not recommend all do what I do with my nephew (which I won't be able to do much longer because of physiology), but for pete's sake, these people also think I need to stop exercising too! It's not just archaic but they don't even have an educated view point. Just because you've had a child (as some have) doesn't mean you know squat about exercise and pregnancy. I mean, I lift more than my nephews weight 4x's a week for pete's sake and always with proper form.

UUGGHH!! I just had to get this off my chest with people who don't have a romantic relationship with lazy personalities...was what I did so truly bizarre?

I can see why you're so angry!

Not only is this insulting to you (like you don't know your own body well enough to know what you can and can't handle), but with everybody putting up such a fuss, your poor little nephew probably thinks he hurt you. (Also, on my own personal vent, it bothers me no end, as a child who had weight issues, when adults tell children they're too heavy to be picked up, when the truth is that the adult is too weak to pick them up. Ok, didn't mean to hone in on your rant there!). I hope you have a chance to at least talk to the little guy and let him know that he didn't do anything wrong.

Anyway, I don't really have any advice, just commiseration. People are so misinformed, and I haven't seen any evidence that they're interested in rethinking their preconceived notions of what's safe and not safe for a pregnant woman to do. I have a feelig most of these people think physical exertion of any kind is vaguely unsafe anyway. The only thing I know to do is say "Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine really" and go about your business. Anyone who then pursues the issue only risks revealing the depth of their ignorance, at which point you have permission to set them straight!!

LOL -- this is like everyone at my YMCA getting all in a frenzy over my boss still doing the power moves in her step classes at 8 1/2 mos. pregnant. She felt great, she was in shape, so what was the problem? She was doing modified variations in the resistance portion of her class, so why didn't they think she'd listen to her body if she was otherwise uncomfortable?

I'm living in small-town Maine, and it has been tough recruiting moms for my prenatal class -- my OB advertises for me, and she has mentioned that she has the worst time convincing women that it is good for them to move while they are pregnant. The old myth about pregnancy being a delicate condition is alive and well!

susan

Dear Jeni,

I can understand your frustration! I have a lot of people telling me how dangerous teaching step is! Some of these people are truly misguided and wanting to "stir up the pot" and some of them aren't educated about exercise in pregnancy and trying to look out for my well being.

I wonder if you could take a few of them aside and let them know gently that it's your body and even though it may seem amazing to them that you're so athletic, you're the best judge of what's achievable for you and what is not. However, most of the time, in my experience I have just kept quiet, because most people only hear/believe what they want to.

Keep up the bodypump - sounds like you're going really well

Liz n

PS - I did respond to a post you made about BodySTep, did you see it?

Hey Liz! Yes, I got your post! I've convinced my Director at one club to go with me to another club that has it so we can take a class. I can't wait...

Thanks, too, for your suggestions!

Please vent away!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-12-02 AT 04:29AM (Est)[/font][p]People are unbelievably opinionated but I'm finally learning to ignore the comments and silly advice. A case in point - there's a 5km fun run coming up in 2 weeks time. I of course won't be running it but have planned to walk it with a work colleague. It's unbelievable the comments I've had from my mum to my secretary - people just cannot understand that remaining active whilst not over-doing it is good for both mother and baby!

Feel free to vent whenever you want to!

Your friend in fitness, Fitnik

PS
A friend of my sister's who's a physiotherapist told her to tell me not to do sit ups - she said I "might not know" but the abdominal muscles split during pregnancy and ab exercises like sit ups make this worse. I was like, doh, so she really thinks I don't already know this, when I have every exercise book for pregnant women under the sun! But at least this was correct info for once although I was extremely irritated by it....grrrrr

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.