miscarriage and high impact aerobics

gina

Cathlete
I have read some information on miscarriages that I can not make sense of. Are high impact aerobic moves likely to cause a miscarriage? Some things I've read seem to indicate that it will, but some things seem to indicate that the associate between high impact and miscarriage is that you may fall with high impact and it is the fall that is dangerous.

Should I or should I not be dong jumping jacks? How about in differet trimesters?

Is it possible to some how shake the fetus lose and loose it? (I know that sounds really dumb.)

Don't believe the scare tactics

If a baby is implanted in a healthy way, those jumping jacks will NOT shake him/her loose. If the pregnancy is in trouble, then even not exercising at all won't prevent the miscarriage. I was pregnant last December. The week before Christmas we had a house full of company and tons of holiday activities so I didn't get in a single workout in the 8 days prior to Christmas. I miscarried Christmas morning. THIS pregnancy I continued my workouts as normal, impact and all, just minus the intervals. Here I am at 17 weeks and counting. I STRONGLY encourage you to get Dr. James Clapp's book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy. He dispells a lot of the common myths about pregnancy, including the one about high impact exercise causing miscarriage. Yes, we should avoid those sports in which a fall could be dangerous, but normal high impact aerobics is not among them. It also has compelling evidence of why we SHOULD continue our normal exercise programs during our pregnancies, including promoting the development of a large, efficient placenta. :) Birgitta Gallo's Expecting Fitness is another excellent book. It actually has an entire chapter devoted to the various possible fitness activities, which should be avoided, and which should be modified ( and how ) during what part of your pregnancy. I would consider both to be absolutely essential reading for the fit preggo. :)

Hi Gina,
I asked my doctor about that very thing when I saw her a couple of weeks ago. She said not to worry about high impact aerobics, that a healthy placenta should be able to handle it just fine. I'm not sure she's ever seen BodyMax though ;-).

I've cut out jacks (doing wimpy little half-jacks now) and am modifying a lot but I'm not cutting out high impact completely, not yet anyway. I've heard other people say that lots of really high impact all then time isn't good for the kid so I'm just trying to go a bit easier while still challenging myself.

Thanks guys. Just when I was starting to feel more comfortable working out (i.e. less anxious) my in-laws --who we just told last night--got concerend about my exercising and warned me to lighten up. (So early I know, but they have been so eager...)They believe the impact could cause a miscarriage. While this is mostly my baby, it is also theirs. And I don't want them to think I was careless if heaven forbid something happens. And indeed I don't want to be careless and cause a miscarraige if I can prevent it. I think I will get that book about Exercising through Your Pregnancy. Thanks again. Gina

RE: Don't believe the scare tactics

I am also very sorry to hear about your Dec. miscarriage. I am hapy things are going better this time. Gina

For most women, the reasons for not doing high impact activities are, like you said, more because the mother may either hurt herself or fall. In a normal pregnancy, the baby is pretty safe in his bubble of amniotic fluid, and if you are paying attentionto how your body feels while also heeding the ACOG guidelines for prenatal exercise, you are probably fine.

That being said, most women find high impact activities uncomfortable at some point... you've got a lot of extra weight pulling at muscles, joints, and ligaments that are already more lax due to the hormone relaxin... relaxin also makes you more prone to sprains.

Finally, all of the extra weight of your growing uterus, baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, etc., is bearing down on your pelvic floor, so if you have even the slightest bit of incontinence while doing impact activities, you'll want to take it down a notch until after you've had the baby AND have rehabilitated your pelvic floor (kegels).

Some women can continue doing high impact throughout their pregnancies with no problem, but most cannot. The good news for low impact activities is that you have a growing "weight plate"... will find that you'll still be able to get a decent workout doing low impact activities. There are tons of low impact activities you can do to get a good workout with risking your joints all of the extra weight combined with high impact. I've run into a couple of women who felt that they'd "done in" their knees by doing too much impact during their pregnancies.

A good plan of attack is to have a bunch of different workout activities in mind so that, if one becomes uncomfortable, you can go on to another. In my most recent pregnancy, for instance, I did light jogging through my first trimester (lots of water!!)... taught low impact prenatal/postpartum classes through almost all of my pregnancy... did resistance exercises throughout my entire pregnancy... did some step aerobics until 6-7 mos... did the elliptical trainer until about 8 mos... and swam laps through my entire 3rd trimester (until the last week or two when I quit altogether...). If I ever get pregnant again, I'll begin the swimming earlier... it was an awesome workout, and it felt great to get the weight off of my feet and back!

Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

For most women, the reasons for not doing high impact activities are, like you said, more because the mother may either hurt herself or fall. In a normal pregnancy, the baby is pretty safe in his bubble of amniotic fluid, and if you are paying attentionto how your body feels while also heeding the ACOG guidelines for prenatal exercise, you are probably fine.

That being said, most women find high impact activities uncomfortable at some point... you've got a lot of extra weight pulling at muscles, joints, and ligaments that are already more lax due to the hormone relaxin... relaxin also makes you more prone to sprains.

Finally, all of the extra weight of your growing uterus, baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, etc., is bearing down on your pelvic floor, so if you have even the slightest bit of incontinence while doing impact activities, you'll want to take it down a notch until after you've had the baby AND have rehabilitated your pelvic floor (kegels).

Some women can continue doing high impact throughout their pregnancies with no problem, but most cannot. The good news for low impact activities is that you have a growing "weight plate"... will find that you'll still be able to get a decent workout doing low impact activities. There are tons of low impact activities you can do to get a good workout with risking your joints all of the extra weight combined with high impact. I've run into a couple of women who felt that they'd "done in" their knees by doing too much impact during their pregnancies.

A good plan of attack is to have a bunch of different workout activities in mind so that, if one becomes uncomfortable, you can go on to another. In my most recent pregnancy, for instance, I did light jogging through my first trimester (lots of water!!)... taught low impact prenatal/postpartum classes through almost all of my pregnancy... did resistance exercises throughout my entire pregnancy... did some step aerobics until 6-7 mos... did the elliptical trainer until about 8 mos... and swam laps through my entire 3rd trimester (until the last week or two when I quit altogether...). If I ever get pregnant again, I'll begin the swimming earlier... it was an awesome workout, and it felt great to get the weight off of my feet and back!

BTW, in teaching postpartum women, I've found that high impact jacks are the #1 move that causes women to experience urinary incontinence... this leads me to believe that this particular move puts more strain on the pelvic floor than most others.
Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.