Intensity of exercise while trying to get pregnant

bethanyk

Hi all! I'm new to the forum, this is my first time posting. I am just wondering about exercise intensity while trying to get pregnant. It took me a little while to get pregnant with my first two - not that I had to see a fertility doctor, nothing like that. It just doesn't happen right away for me, either. I was NOT such a hardcore exerciser before I had my tots, I only really got serious about it 2 1/2 years ago. I was taking a judo class, though, when trying to get pregnant with my first, and she took 9 months to get pregnant with. During that time, my cycle was really off (I'm usually like clockwork) and I kept getting pregnancy symptoms, but I'd take a test and it would be negative. As soon as my class was over, I got pregnant.

So, I'm just wondering if exercising too intensely could affect my chances of getting pregnant again? I don't want to come down in intensity just on the chance that I could get pregnant, but I also don't want it to hinder my chances either. Maybe I'm just asking for too much, huh? :) Thanks in advance for any responses!

I wish I knew the answer to your question! We've been trying for 1.5 years but things are unlikely due to my irregular cycles. Like you, I was more regular when I wasn't exercising so much. The other part is body fat - are you too low?

My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage so after that happened, I upped the intensity and was actually just looking forward to working out hard for the mental break and ended up pregnant again a few months later. I don't think the intensity affected me but for some women, lower body fat percentage can hinder your cycle.

Thanks ladies!

Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to know that some of you have gotten pregnant while still doing some pretty intense exercise! I'm pretty sure it's not a body fat issue, I'm at a very healthy/normal weight. And Bethany, I feel your pain! It's a frustrating wait!

Hi!
I think that there are a lot of factors that influence a woman's fertility; genetics too - some people could probably be in their 40's, do a triathalon (sp?), and still get pregnant easily.

For others (including me), I needed to 'cut back' on the exercise to get pregnant. Our first daughter was conceived 1st month we tried (i was 29), but didn't exercise at the time in my life.

After our first daughter(we have 3 other children, plus twins due in May) I really got into cardio and weight training. However, when my husband and I were 'trying' for another baby, and after a year of trying with no luck, I'd cut back significantly on the exercise, and, go figure, I'd conceive...(took @20 months for the twins, but I am 39).

Again, ya never know; can't hurt to cut back on the exercise (if you have been trying for a long time), to see if it helps...

Hey, I have a friend(okay, she doesn't exercise), but her and her husband just had #8, and she is 43!!!(they try for 2-3 months, and get pregnant, every time...quite fortunate!)

sorry this was long; hope it helps....take care!

Thanks Jeanmarie! I have sort of had the feeling like I should cut back, but I'm not wanting to very bad. :) Exercising is my "me" time, and I always feel if I don't work my hardest, that I'm not doing my best, and that frustrates me. I know, kind of silly. It hasn't been too long yet, about 6 months, so I think I will wait a little longer before I cut back. If it doesn't happen within the next few months, I think I'll know what I need to do. :) Thanks so much for your reply!

Book Recommendation

This is random, but I recommend women with irregular cycles (or anyone!) to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health by Toni Weschler.

This book completely opened my eyes to the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), and I now use it to practice natural birth control and will use it for pregnancy achievement in the future. Please look up this book on Amazon.com and read the 1000s of positive reviews. I highly recommend this book.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.