Infant Day Care

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

My first baby is due this October, and I have started to look at day care centers (I prefer centers over home day care). We have three day care centers in my area that offer infant care, ranging from $305/week to $340/week for full-time care (5 days). I've visited them all, and all are licensed but have pros and cons. When I told my husband the prices, he was very surprised, as was I at first, but I needed to explain to him that infant care is going to be more expensive than care for older children because in our state you must have one adult for every three infants and of course infants need to be constantly watched.

I wonder though if I could get a reality check. For any parents who have their infants in a day care center, do these prices seem reasonable to you?

Thanks!!
Dawn

Yes, centers in our area are from around $280-320. Home daycares are in the range of $130-150. We went with a home day care for several reasons (cost being a definite factor), but there are advantages to centers as well. Good luck with the search---it can be such a stressful process!

Last edited:
Those prices seem like a bargain for me! I pay $550/week!
I live in Chicago, so everything costs more here, but those rates seem about right to me.

Thank you so much, ladies! I'm in suburban Maryland and really appreciate having some comparison costs.

Have a great day!
Dawn

We interviewed several day cares in our area (Florida) and the range was $160-210/week for full-time. Teacher/infant ratio here is 4:1. We went with the most expensive one which was also the cleanest/nicest/most education oriented and paid $210/week. I thought it was a lot at the time but now it looks like we're getting quite a bargain!:D

Wowzers! That's another mortgage payment!!!!! I really didn't think it was that much.

When my Justin was an infant, we found a spunky "grandma & grandpa" in the church who watched him for $4/hour. They were full of so much love & gave great care and love to him. They watched him for 8 months until DH took care as stay at home dad! It give a whole new appreciation for all DH does for us (and esp for our upcoming twins). :D

that's about right!

I also live in Maryland and as an infant I paid $1295 per month for my daughter. Now that she is 2 it has dropped to $865 - so your costs are in the normal range

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.