Increased frequency of Braxton Hicks - is it a problem?

LizN

Cathlete
Hi all

Just wondered if Braxton Hicks contractions became stronger with each subsequent pregnancy? I'm just over 28 weeks and feel like all I do all day is have these contractions (tightening and hardening of the belly) which is really starting to get uncomfortable. Sometimes I wonder if the constancy of these contractions means imminent labor.

I'm not getting them when I exercise and my water intake is good (doesn't dehydration exacerbate them?)

Just wondered what other Moms' experience was with this! (I am seeing my doc next week and will mention it)

Thanks in advance
Liz N

Definitely mention it to your doctor, but yes, the Braxton Hicks contractions are stronger in 2nd plus pregnancies than in the 1st. I know that in my last couple of pregnancies I felt like most of my 3rd trimester was spent having almost constant BH contractions. I didn't dilate at all prior to labor ( never do ), but I have wondered if that's why my later labors went so much faster than my 1st ( 5 hours as compared to 24 hours ). My uterus was very "fit" and ready to get to work. :)

Erin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.