I found this neat article....

gidget1978

Cathlete
I was a little nervous about working out until I read this.It is from the babyfit site and its from an author of a book..."workout for dummies...or pregnant dummies"..Not sure! LOL But I thought some of you would enjoy it!

Every time you workout you're essentially helping your baby become stronger and better able to deal with stressors. Research on prenatal fitness has shown that exercise during pregnancy stimulates the placenta to build an increased blood flow (more blood vessels equal increased available oxygen flow to baby) and size compared to non-exercising pregnant women.

In addition, the babies of exercising moms showed less signs of fetal distress (which are: fetal HR higher or lower than normal levels, high level of erythropoitin, a hormone produced when the baby's oxygen supply is diminished, and meconium in amniotic fluid-a sign that the fetus has experienced a drop in oyxgen supply causing a bowel movement) during times of stress, such as labor and delivery.

Your exercise level, as long as it feels comfortable for you and not so hard that you can't carry on a conversation while exercising, is good for you and your baby.

It's normal for your baby's HR to vary during and after exercise and it's not a cause for concern unless you experience signs of problems (lack of weight gain or the baby isn't growing to gestational age at your doctor visits).

During pregnancy your sweat rate increases, as your body becomes more efficient at cooling-causing you to sweat faster and more profusely during exercise. Just remember to keep well hydrated and avoid exercising during hot and humid weather.

Hope this helps to reassure you to continue your healthy exercise program!
Cathy

Edited by: CATHY_CRAM_MS at: 5/1/2006 (10:55)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.