Goosebumps and Working-Out...should I be worried?

flygirl38

When I was pregnant with baby #1, I was triathlon training. I completed a sprint triathlon at 12 weeks at a slow to moderate pace and ran until 7.5 months pregnant, stopping due to ankle pain. With baby #2 (pregnant only 6 months after giving birth to #1) I was able to jog at a slow pace (while pushing a jogger stroller) for the entire pregnancy. I has been 5 years since I have been pregnant and though I pass the Air Force Fitness Test without any issues (sit-ups, push-ups and 1.5 mile run) I have not been working out as frequently as I did before the first two. Since I have been pregnant I have begun a more structured workout plan where I slow jog for 5 mins then for 25 more mins I alternate between pregnancy approved calisthenics and one minute of moderate jogging. I perform this workout in an indoor, air conditioned environment, sipping water throughout.

My question concerns a phenomenon that occurs. As soon as I begin to jog I immediately get goose-bumps and appear to be cold while sweating, but I am not cold...nor am I hot. All reading I have done says this may be a sign of heat exhaustion, but that just doesn't make sense to me being in an air conditioned environment and it occurring literally right away. This phenomenon continues throughout the workout, but only when I jog and it lessens as I continue. I have drastically slowed down, to ensure I am not over-doing it, but it still occurs. I mentioned it to my midwife and she thought maybe I wasn't eating enough, but after testing that theory for a few days, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Any ideas? Should I be concerned? My instincts say "no", but I don't want to be that athlete that ignores something important.

Hi,
I just wish I had more information to give. I think you have to soothe yourself by taking time to rest and not to run for few days.
-Rosetta

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.