A Few Things I Learned about Pregnancy and Exercise

Dawncharlie

Cathlete
#1 Give yourself a break in the first trimester. You are growing a little person inside. You will be tired! If your exercise schedule slows down, don't worry; your energy will return in the second trimester.
#2 Marching in place worked better for me than jumping or any other high-impact moves.
#3 Lowering my step to just the platform and marching or knee repeaters as modifiers made just about all Cathe step DVDs manageable. (I didn't like any of the pregnancy workouts I tried by other instructors. Too easy. Too boring.)
#4 Kickboxing, for me, was great for pregnancy. These workouts are easily modifed and Kick Max even comes with a low-impact premix.
#5 Water, water, water, water, etc.
#6 I stopped doing STS when I found out I was pregnant, but I wish I had kept up with some strength training. I felt like I lost muscle tone while pregnant.
#7 Eat more protein. It will help keep your blood sugar up for more exercise.
#8 Break long workout DVDs into 30-minute segments. That way you will get exercise, but not get too winded.

Thanks for the advice!! I've already learned some of it, and learning the rest. It's amazing how much more water I need now. And repeaters are working just fine as a modifier.
Thanks for sharing!!

Carrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.