Do's & Don'ts

L

Liza

Hi everyone! Since this is my first pregnancy ( trying not to sound like an idiot ) Does anyone have advice on what not to do or do? I know after 12 weeks not to do anything lying flat on my back but what about ab work? still do lower abs or no? how about kickboxing? and Cathes higher impact stuff? I want to continue to be as fit as possible without harm to the baby and since this is my first I am a little apprehensive about over doing it. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I have some for you :)

Do...
*drink lots of water
*use a perceived exertion scale or talk test to make sure that you aren't going breathless
*take it easier if your body is telling you to do so
*make sure you get plenty of rest
*ab work on an incline (like head up, not the reverse), on your hands and knees, or in a sitting position with pillows or a stability ball behind your lower back.

Don't...
*twist if your abdominals are split (diastasis recti)
*don't do anything that causes any discomfort on your joints (you'll have lots of the hormone relaxin in your system, and it is easy to over-stretch or to cause joint injury by lifting to much or doing thrusting movements as in kickboxing... you might not have to give up kickboxing, but LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!)
*do anything that hurts.
*go to your maximum intensity, but don't be afraid to sweat a little... moderate is the key during pregnancy.

I'm 32 weeks along now, and I'm still plugging along with my humongous belly. As of this morning, I'm suffering from sciatica, so there will undoubtedly be some things I'll need to modify in my workouts... like I'm definitely going to hit the pool to get some of the weight off of my aching back & rear end!

Hope this helps!
Susan
Healthy Moms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor

Hi Liza! Susan has summed it up for you (thanks Susan) so I am here to say congratulations and feel free to keep posting questions as they come up. Take Care!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.