Breastfeeding and Exercise?

Heidisue

Cathlete
I have heard that if you exercise too hard it can make your milk sour because of the lactic acid? I want to continue BF but I want to start Cathe's workouts also. Any tips or info?

I personally didn't have an issue with this. After my 3rd baby was born, I exercised close to 1.5--2 hrs/day to lose weight before going back to work. I exclusively breastfed with no issues. I did 2 workouts per day, rather than one long workout,...I don't know if that helped?

If you notice that your milk supply isn't as heavy as it once was, you can always scale back. Remember that baby goes thru spurts too...where milk demand is higher: 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks are some spurts. Just listen to your body!

Congrats!

I have nursed 3 and never noticed them being bothered by it.

What DOES hurt is any impact aerobics when it's time to nurse! OWCH!!! :p:p:p Those poor boobs feel like boulders! :p

My two boys never seemed to bothered by it either. I have heard of some babies who don't like the taste, but the milk won't hurt them in any way it just may have a different flavor.

I am so glad to hear that it hasn't affected any of you. I have been worrying about this ever since I hit 6 weeks. I know that my supply might go down which I'm sure my LO will cluster feed to get it back up and like you said, I can just back off a bit.

Melanyus, that's funny that you mentioned when they cluster feed (3,6, and 12 weeks). Cause I feel like today and last night I've been glued to the rocking chair feeding her. These days are so hard!

I am thinking of starting off with the Cross train express (slowly ease into it). What do you think? I seriously didn't do anything the last trimester because of a few worries during my pregnancy but my doc says I look great and can start back into things (with a great support bra!!!!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.