baby's lack of movement is freaking me out

goldenrun358

Cathlete
Did/does anyone else notice your baby is sometimes really quiet? I am 30 weeks and this week alone there have been two times she has been really quiet: Sunday and last night into today. I haven't felt her move much at all. It is really freaking me out. She has done this in the past, so I guess it's not completely out of the ordinary, but there have been no big movements either. Has anyone else experienced this? I've eaten, poked my belly, and changed positions without a response. Of course everything I read says decreased movement should equal a call to the doc. What have you ladies noticed?

I think babies have different time that they are "quieter" than others. Butif it makes you feel better (and that is VERY important? call your dr to get in for a quick hb check and overall checkup. You don't need the stress and they should be able to fit you in. Keep us posted!

My baby near the end had very long periods of being very still. it freaked me out also. the dr said as long as there ARE periods in the day where there is enough movement (10 movements within an hour?) that he was ok. I agree that if you are really worried go try to get fit in and they will monitor the baby for a while. It's better to be safe than sorry. but I'd try not to worry too much as babies can sleep ALOT in the womb esp during the day when your moving around.

This happened to me the day before I had my daughter. Since I was already at the dr they did a non-stress test and another sonogram. Her back and butt were facing out so when she did move I couldn't feel it. If it makes you feel better please call the doctor.

Jadon't movements were much more gentle and mild than my other pregnancies. He ended up being more on the "petite" side (just under 6 lbs) when born & very mild mannered. :D

However, if you are concerned,.....don't hesitate to contact your ob/gyn,...it's their job to hear us whine!!!!!!

Thanks ladies. Hearing this does make me feel better. I was just at the OB on Wednesday and everything was fine. So my practical side says "Stop worrying". However, at this point I seem to be worrying about anything and everything! It probably won't stop until she's born. I did feel her move yesterday pretty good, I actually think I felt hiccups for the first time! She's quiet again this morning, but I'm trying to not get anxious. I would feel better if she just did kart-wheels in there all the time ;)

I have three kids, and I freaked out with EACH pregnancy about fetal movement. Sometimes I'd get sidetracked and not notice until at night and I'd try to rack my brain about the entire day's fetal movement... If I was uncertain, I'd just drink a nice sugary soda and relax on the sofa. That usually did the trick. (My boys all responded well to rootbeer, FYI.) Hope this helps.

Remember too that the bigger they get the less room there is to wiggle around. I was like Stephenie and would get busy during the day then come home from work and have a little freak out cause I didn't count the movements. Call your doc anyway even if you feel silly; it's better than feeling stressed out, they always say our babies can feel that too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.