Another question for moms

jenmgo

Cathlete
Hi all...again i have another question in regards to my baby :(

My baby is breastfed exclusively and usually has no problem breastfeeding
Hoever twice in the last two days, while nursing she has thrwon up ALOT of my milk.
Now my baby never even spits up so to see the large amounts coming out of her is quite alarming. There is so much she soaks her onesie, my shorts, the couch etc. I catch it by the handfuls.

She does not have a temp and the only other thing different from her is she has been a little fussier than normal. Noone in the house is sick either. I called the dr's office and they were no help. Said elevate her when she feeds...but i feed her the same way i always do and this has never been an issue.

any thoughts?

while it is normal for a baby to spit up that does sound excessive...

maybe a reflux issue???

she could be responding to YOURdiet....eat anything out of the norm lately??

That's what I was going to suggest -- have you changed your diet at all?

I've heard of babies developing reflux, or it could be that she is a little under the weather. How about teething? Could it be that (I don't know how old she is)?

I'd call the pediatrician, just to be safe. I was always a bit of a worrier -- especially with my first one, who gave me plenty of reason to worry! Good luck!

I would think reflux or allergy. I'm surprised your ped didn't find that a little concerning because that is a lot. She could have gotten a little bug also, but watch her for the next feedings and make note of your diet. If she still spits up a lot, call the dr. again and explain this is out of the norm for her.

Lisa

The baby is 7 weeks old..i think thats too early for teething
About my diet..i've pretty much been eating the same old things all the time. My diet doesnt usually vary too much out of the norm :(

I did call the pediatrician but found them to be unhelpful. They said its becuase she is lying down instead of being elevated. I did mention it was a large amount. So far, she is fine today..im just not sure what is going on. She has her regular appt at the end of this month with the dr

If it was just a couple times and she hasn't done it again, she may just have had an upset tummy. Allergies can start at any time, so it if continues you might want to work on that as a possibility. You said you were eating the same things, were they the same brands? Sometimes a brand may slip in an ingredient that others don't contain.

I am just curious -although I have no idea if this matters - is it right after you workout? I know you just started back up again w/ your workouts. I mean, is the milk too warm? I thought I read about that a few years ago about not feeding right after a workout or within a designated amount of time afterwards?? What do you think? I only bottle feed this 3rd baby of mine so I have no issues and cannot relate but that was an issue in the back of my mind w/ my other 2...although I can't remember if my workouts ever affected anything.
Good luck...

Clarissa

I agree with Clarissa. If you are feeding too soon after your workout, the milk may taste more sour due to lactic acid buildup (like what makes muscles hurt and gives us DOMS).

I'm glad baby's doing better today though!

Hmm...i had to really think about that and i think the answer is no..

the first time she got sick it was 230am. If i did work out it would have been around 6 or so
The second time was in the afternoon and i hadnt worked out at all

At 630 tonite i did IMAX 2 and Lower Body Squeeze. I showred and as i was nursing after I read this post. I hope she doesnt get sick now!

Do you guys know how long after working out you are supposed to wait to breastfeed? I had not even thought of that

Last edited:
I hope you get it figured out. I really don't know. I hadn't had that particular issue. do you have a lactation consultant to talk to? maybe shes gulping air when nursing and gets too much gas and that causes her to loose her whole meal instead of just burping. I dunno just a guess that hasn't been tossed out in the possible problems yet.
I heard milk after working out could taste strange but never heard of it causing trouble like that. So I really don't know. I'd contact a LC.

I've nursed many times after working out and my babies never spit up, but each baby is different. Just see how your baby reacts and make a mental note of it for the future. How is baby doing so far?

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.