Am I nuts?

melanalyus

Cathlete
I'm maybe pulling at straws here, & I know I shouldn't even do this....but I got this aching feeling of discontentment: What if I was misdiagnosed with my miscarriage?

I only had brown discharge (and couldn't even fill a pantiliner with total discharge loss) & has completely stopped

I ovulated later in my cycle which would have put me at only 4 weeks when I went in (would have been really hard to find on ultrasound,especially older ones they have in town)

If my HCG was only 2.125 and home pg tests can detect as low as 30...why am I still testing strong positives?

Doctor didn't ask me if I had other children, my cervix will be slightly open from having my other children (doesn't close completely)....and I know he's an MD....but he's not an ob/gyn.

I still have morning sickness symptoms (vomiting, dizziness, insomnia, heartburn, crabbiness) & it's getting stronger...not waning at all

You may be grasping at straws and you may not be. I knew someone who had a miscarriage and then later found out she'd been carrying twins and only one had miscarried. The not knowing can be really stressful. Can you see a different doctor? Request an ultrasound? I know I would want to know what was going on.

Melanie--I'd definitely go see an ob/gyn. I don't want you to get your hopes up, but you've been through a mc before and if this seems different, you should go and see why. Please keep us posted. ((Hugs))

melanie-didnt you have a us and there was no yolk sack?? I tested positive for nearly 6 weeks. Your body is just taking longer this time around maybe.

Last edited:
Susan, the technician didn't find anything on the u/s. She went transvaginally,...but seemed to be having problems using it....took her over 1/2 hour and she just kept on probing. Our town doesn't have a good u/s machine, it's ancient. Wouldn't it be challenging to find anything at 4 weeks?

I know, I'm not getting my hopes up,... just as every pg is different, I"m sure every miscarriage is as well. Eventually, shouldn't I have some bloody discharge?

Last edited:
Hi Melanie,
I've never mc'd, so I don't have that experience to reference. But I did spot for an entire week with my DS. I had dark brown discharge that progressively got lighter and then stopped. It happened at 9 and 12 weeks. Today is a healthy 10 month old little man.

So I don't wan't to get your hopes up either, but it's worth a second opinion. I do have a friend that was misdiagnosed with a miscarriage. They wanted to do a D&C on her, and she had that same nagging feeling like you do. Turns out that "miscarriage" is now her 4 year old daughter!

Go with your gut. Maybe you're reaching. But it's worth being 100% sure.
I wish you the best!

Can you go and get another HCG Beta count?? If it is increasing it would be positive news. If it is a true miscarrage it should be lower than 2.

I think I will go ahead & have another HCG drawn tomorrow & take it from there. I can't get in to see an ob/gyn until June. :(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.