38 and trying to decide if we should try again

cathykazbar

Cathlete
Hi All,
I've been off the forums for a while and since I've been gone, I've had a little boy who is now almost 10 months old. I had him when I was 37 and I just turned 38 in June. Now we are thinking about the possibility of having another baby but I remember when I had my first born the docs were saying I was more "at risk" because I was over 35. I am a cathe fan and try my best to stay healthy and active. I am in good health. And my little guy is healthy and thriving :). I'd love to hear any advice/support that any of you might be able to share that might help me in my decision.
Thanks so much everyone!
Cath :)

I had my first at 37 and my second at 40. Neither pregnancy was a problem and I opted out of all testing with my second, only had an ultrasound with my first. I never had an OB. A D.O. with my first and a midwife with my second. If you If you have no history of problems or other health problems, there's no reason not to go for it. Honestly, I'm 48 and if I did get pregnant again, I'm confident that my body could handle everything just fine.

A friend of mine is having her second at 40 and she is doing great! She had her twins at 37. If you are healthy and have no issues, than I say go for it!

I'm just a whipper-snapper:p, but I say Go For It! Give that baby a sib!:D Or at least have fun trying!:D

I think age 38 is ok, but just wanted to say that it's not so much the health of the mother that could cause problems, it's the health of your eggs as you age. Older eggs cause more at-risk pregnancies and health problems with babies. I have a good friend who has been trying to bring a pregnancy to term for years and is 41 now, but it's her egg quality that is keeping her from having the baby she so desperately wants.

Good luck!

Erica

Thanks ladies for all the advice! I am thinking we'll wait until the little guy is a year and if we decide to go for it, we will try for a second at that point (only a couple months away! I can't believe how fast it goes!!!):). So I guess this is to be continued! hehehe! Thanks again everyone!

I have found TTC is more difficult as I age. I am going to be 36 in a couple days, and quite honestly have found my current pregnancy much more difficult than my last ones. I contribute it to both age & the fact that I"m having twins. *Note: multiple pregnancies such as twins increase as you age. :D

We do have a loosly knitted TTC (trying to conceive) check-in here on the fourms....

Hi Thanks again everyone!
I had to write back my last post quickly -- the little guy needed me :)!
I wanted to take the time to answer everybody :)...
Cathy -- I had my son at 37 also. I had a combo midwife/MD practice. I also opted out of the testing they offered in the beginning. I think I am leaning towards trying again but I think we'll hold off a little bit until my DS is at least a year--gosh that is right around the corner! ohmy! :)
Jen--lYes I also know of a bunch of people including my Grandmother who had children into their 40's so I guess that gives me hope that maybe it can happen for us too :).
Kate--Thanks for the support! Yup the trying is the fun part! hehehe!:)
Erica--Thank you for your insight. I have heard something similar about your egg quality and I think that is part of what makes me question things. We are moving soon and I am thinking maybe I should make an appointment with my new doc and/or midwife to discuss it some more...:)
Melanie--Yes I didn't become pregnant until I was 36/almost 37 and we had been married for almost 9 years (of course we weren't actively trying for all those years but still I wonder how much my age was a factor). So I guess I I'm looking at it as if it is meant to happen it will happen. So while I'm leaning towards trying, I also have in my mind that it may not happen. So I guess we'll see! If we do I will have to check out the check-in (probably in September I'm thinking...)! thanks for the invite!

Well thanks again very much ladies. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this out!
Have a wonderful Day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.