Are you a fitness snob?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I'm curious b/c I realize more & more that I definitely am. I was thinking about this yesterday b/c I work w/this guy who's got to weigh at least 280, probably he tops 300. He's supposedly extremely intelligent but I just can't get past the fact that when he's sitting down & his pants ride up over his socks his legs look like over-stuffed sausages. I just have no respect for the guy. And my boss isn't any better--sometimes I feel like I'm working with a couple of clowns.

I hate to admit this about myself but I really do look down on obese people. Not for being obese, but for not doing anything about it. I have asolutely no sympathy for obese people or for illnesses related to obesity.

I can't help thinking to myself "why don't you just get up off your fat a$$ & walk a mile a day, & stay the heck away from McDonald's & Dunkin Donuts for pete's sake."

I'm a horrible person aren't I? :eek:

No, you're not a horrible person. However, you're going to get BLASTED to pieces on here for voicing your opinion.;)

Hey Laura.

I can see your point. Yes, I agree that they SHOULD do something about it. I don't know how people can be comfortable in thier own skin when they are that big....maybe they are not but just have no clue how to go about losing the weight? Then again, maybe there are obese folks out there trying DESPERATELY to lose the weight but can't because they lack the know-how or simply because the approach(es) they are taking are failing...

ETA: No blasting here!;)

Hey Laura, I do see your point and I've often wonder myself how people can not want to do anthing about being that overweight. But then I look at myself and wonder if I will go to burn in hell when I die and have a gasloine suit given to me.

No blasting here. :D

LOL Shelley! Ah well, blast away. I'm just one of those people who is honest to a fault I guess. I suppose I could lie & say I think it's OK to be overweight, but I just don't have it in me.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I actually have the utmost respect for obese people who DO try to do something about it. I can't begin to tell you how much I admire obese people in my gym, which is really upscale & snotty. It's easy to go to a gym when you're already thin. It takes a lot of courage & determination to take that leap when you don't feel good about your appearance, & I am in awe of those who do.

>Hey Laura, I do see your point and I've often wonder myself
>how people can not want to do anthing about being that
>overweight. But then I look at myself and wonder if I will go
>to burn in hell when I die and have a gasloine suit given to
>me.
>
>No blasting here. :D

Gasoline suit, that's funny. My daughter always says, "you're going to hell with gasoline underwear".......lol.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/haydee1

Haydee

I don't think you're a horrible person, maybe just single-minded. The interesting thing is, I quit going to the gym because I absolutely hate that environment, and as I surveyed the people there I couldn't help but think that if some of them would spend half as much time expanding their minds as they do building their muscles, then maybe we wouldn't have so many stupid people in the world. I have always preferred a sharp mind to a hard body.

ETA Sparrow's remarks really struck a chord with me. I try to look upon people with kindness, understanding, and patience. Sometimes that's really hard to do and I fail miserably. I have so many personal failings and shortcomings--mine just aren't as visible.

Michele

Uh oh!!!! I feel it comming on...someone going to get blasted!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: But you can handle it, right?

Sometimes when I see overweight people I wonder if they have tried to lose weight and I know in some people it can be a family thing.
The lady who lives next door to me as some issues I think.She doesn't think anyone likes her and apparently her DH doesn't even sleep in the same bed with her anymore b/c she as gotten bigger.She must be 350 lbs.She is a really nice person but I feel bad for her when I talk to her b/c she sounds like us after a cathe workout.She is out of breath and pauses to catch it.
I can't say I look down on obese people b/c I don't want to look down on anyone.I try not to be that kind of person. But do I pity these people and wish I could help them? Yes.
Lori:)

No blasting from me either! As far as I am concerned, there's no shame in opening a topic for discussion.

As to that topic, I am of two minds. My first reaction is repulsion, not at the obesity per se but at what I perceive to be a lack of discipline, self-control and responsibility, three things that this Yankee abhors in people, including herself! On the other hand, I've been big (though not obese). I've been lonely and angry and depressed. I know that sometimes the night is too long and a couple of brownies can make it pass a little more easily. When I remeber those days I want to go up to fat people and hug them. It's too bad those of us who have gone from heavy to fit can't bottle the knowledge we've gained and pass it out to those who need it! I would love to be able to show people how much better it feels to go for the long-term goal (fitness) over the short-term gratification (brownies!).

I will say the one thing that does bug me is when heavy people try to make fitness/health out to be more complicated than it really is or blame it on their genes. No healthy person is genetically predisposed to be 350 pounds.

Sorry so long. I'm very chatty these days! :p

Sparrow

True! Someone can be on the "thicker" side b/c of genetics but I don't think they need to let that reason get them to 350 lbs either.

No blasting from me either. It's not so much that I look down on obese people, but I almost feel sorry for them. Not because they're heavy, but because they are utterly clueless. At least the ones I come in contact with on a daily basis - my coworkers. They want to lose weight, but they don't know how to do it properly. They feel like they can't possibly change the habits they've had for years, or decades even. They try drastic crash diets, or exercising too hard too soon.... and then they end up right back where they started because they couldn't keep it up. *sigh* I think they just feel really hopeless, and have given up.

I agree Lori, Emily, Sparrow. There are reasons for obesity and those I completely understand (my mother was over weight for a long period of time due to certain thyroid issues) but once things are solved, if they can be, then there is no reason for laziness.

Sometimes it just boils down to "how important it this to me." Oprah with all her money and personal resources and guru trainers and personal chefs and on and on STILL has constant struggles with her weight. She's obviously smart and obviously knows what to do, but it just comes down to DOING IT!!! I can't look down my nose at her because it's a never ending struggle. She was looking really good last year, but sadly, it appears that she's put on some weight, although not a lot. There but by the the grace of God go I - what would I look like if I couldn't work out for 6 months because I broke my leg and couldn't work out?

Even smart people who KNOW better don't do what they know they need to do all the time. I guess that's what makes me stop when I want to criticize them. I'm VERY lucky that I can keep my weight in check right now, because it would be very easy to gain 50 pounds without blinking an eye.
Just Do It! :)

I don't think you're a horrible person either. Although I don't look down on obsese people, sometimes I just don't get it. I myself need to lose about 30lbs so I am in no position to judge someone b/c of their size. I used to work with this girl that was extremely obese and I had no sympathy for her whatsoever. At the time she was probably about 34ish and I'm guessing 400+lbs. All she did was EAT. Every break we had, she ate, her lunches were huge too and all she talked about was food. She could barely fit on the benches of our tables in the breakroom, she could hardly walk and you could tell she had a extremely hard time breathing. People like that I have no pity for. She was just slowly killing herself. But her brother and her mom were like that as well. And another thing that really gets me is have you ever noticed those motorized shopping carts? If Wal-Mart has 5 of em, I'm guessing only 1 is used by an elderly person and the rest are used by an obese person. I think it would be an eye opener to do something if I was so overweight that I had to ride around a store on a motorized cart b/c I was so out of shape that I couldn't walk.

When I see someone that is considered obsese do something and lose weight I feel so much pride for them. This might sound corny but when I see those people on the Biggest Loser weigh in and they have lost weight I get teary eyed b/c I am so happy for them. Two of my co-workers have lost a combined weight of almost 200lbs and I couldn't be happier for them.

I have been a fitness snob the first time I managed to lose about 65 pounds. I kept it off for over a decade. Then I was in a car accident and could not work out and gained it all back again. I told myself the first time that I would never get that large again but it happened.

It is hard to lose and harder to maintain it. When someone is extremely overweight, it hurts their feet to walk or just move or stand for long periods of time. Yes they should do something about it. Do I think it is because they eat poorly - NO, not necessarily. I have always had to watch my weight and intake since I can remember. Alot of other, thinner, friends did not have that same problem or genetics and could eat anything. We are all different.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I encourage over weight people to come to my classes and do what they can do or want to do so that they are doing something healthy for themselves. I do not look down on anyone any more cause I don't know their situations. It is always a battle for me and I am there to help anyone out if I can.

>Hey Laura.
>
>Then again, maybe there are obese folks out there
>trying DESPERATELY to lose the weight but can't because they
>lack the know-how or simply because the approach(es) they are
>taking are failing...
>
>ETA: No blasting here!;)

Ok no blasting here either BUT, it doesn't take unusual integellence to eat less and move more. Any average person can figure out how to get up from the table and increase their activity. They just have to WANT to do it and commit to a routine.

Educated people should know better. When I hear people say they don't understand how they can't lose weight, I wonder if they are really being HONEST with themselves about their food intake.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce9426d089240c00000015108AatHLZo3buN

I am also put off by obese people. Not by people who are overweight by 20-30 lbs, but people that are extremely heavy. I believe that lower socioeconomic groups are more prone to being obese because they are uneducated merely trying to get by the best they can. I have more of a problem with people who are educated, know the health risks, make a decent living but continue to eat foods high in fat and complain they are too tired to exercise.

I don't subscribe to the theory that some people just can't lose weight. Yes, some people have health issues but many of those issues are due to poor diet and lack of exercise. I lost 50 lbs in high school by eating properly and exercising so I know it can be done.

i won't blast you, b/c you do make a good point. however for me i try to get to know the person. i know and am related to a few obese folks. some try hard and its just genetics that they be a little thicker(although as long as they are healthy i don't see it as obese) and then there are a few that do nothing but COMPLAIN but still continue with the habits like eating to much,drinking calories(sodas,high frustose juices, BEER)and do NOTHING in the way of activities. those are the ones i show NO pity for.

the ones i do show compassion for are those that do have medical conditions(i.e. thryroid conditions that cause weight flactuations{sp?} or who are confined to their beds for whatever reason,like my uncle).

but your last comment i do think often to those that complain. i see the gals in the stores trying on clothes get ticked about not finding anything that fits but have no problem going into mcdonald's and engouring themselves. in a way i feel bad but on the other hand some of them ARE smart enough to pick up a magazine and read it, and i don't mean the national enquirer or tv guide.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I bought a fitness magazine the other day that I hadn't ever seen before. It's called OnFitness. This excerpt from a commentary sums it up pretty well for me:

"Another motivator for training regularly is the answer to the question, "What happens if we don't?" Look around, and without being cruel, how do you describe your neighbor walking down the street? Apart from the rare exception and unless he or she is a lively youngster (and this is no longer a dependable criterion), he or she is probably under-muscled, underpowered, unhealthy, malfunctioning and neglectful. He's dreadfully unaware of his body's needs; he's undisciplined, lazy and conforming. Sounds cruel, I agree, but his condition is a reflection of his motives, values and deeds. And he's not unlike those around him. He's got a job, aspirations and friends, but he's ignoring his greatest treasures and
gifts - his health, long life, vitality, physical might and ability,
personal power and creative thinking. He's alive, yet limited by apathy; doing, yet winding down. He's disregarding his body, an intricate and miraculous system of flesh, bones and muscles, electricity, brain waves, glands, hormones and pulsing life. That's a shame, a loss, a crime and a sin."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.