Xtrain Legs

Tmg4612

Hi! In Week 2 of the Xtrain 90 day. I feel like Disc 5 Legs isn't tough enough. Cathe uses ankle weights in similar moves on Legs and Glutes, why doesn't she use them here. I realize I can add the weights, but wondering why Cathe does not. I don't want to overtrain if there is some "science" to the overall program. Maybe I am just used to lifting heavier for a shorter period of time. In the past, I've constantly gone back to L&G and Upper Body Pyramid to blast my body. Xtrain just not doing it for me. Anyone experience this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had the same concerns about XTrain Legs at first. As you said, you can always choose to go heavier. I stuck with it for the 90 days and was happy with the results I had with the combination of Legs and Cardio Leg Blast. I was also happy with Great Glutes and Lean Legs and Abs which both use light weights. Maybe give it a longer try? Good luck!

Barbara

I felt the same way and still do to some extent. The first time i did the workout and the standing leg portion was over I literally stared at the television and waited for Cathe to say, just kidding now go get your barbell. Then I realized she wasn't and onto the floor. I went ahead and did it a couple more times but with the longer premixes. Then I started subbing a different standing lrg workout and finished with the floorwork from Xtrain. I never felt challenged when i did this workout as is. I do think its a welcome change when I don't feel like using as much equipment but for the most part I prefer STD Meso 2 Legs and other heavier leg work, even the LIS trisets fpr lower body made me feel like I worked my legs very well. JMO, still love Cathe and have almost all of her DVDs, actually in the middle of my first go around with STS after having it from the presale in 2009, can't believe it took me so long to just do it.

I agree. I've only done Cathe's workouts for a couple of years. I started out with XTrain. Once I started doing her other leg workouts, like Butts & Guts, Gym Styles, and especially STS Squat Rack legs, I felt like I was getting a better leg workout than with XTrain Legs.

As I've gotten older I'm finding I prefer XTrain legs to the hard core workouts like meso 2 legs and Butts and Guts. I have a nice burn the next day but at least I can get on and off the toilet with Xtrain!
So yes, disc 5 is definitely easier than Cathe's older workouts. Just commenting for anyone who'd like a less intense but still one hour legs workout.
Beth

Oh, this is timely! I just did this workout tonight and it fried my legs. I did the 80 min premix called for in the Xtrain undulating rotation. I almost exclusively lift heavy for lower body, so this high reps workout had me shaking...especially the barre portion. I do, however, lift the weights that work well for me versus what Cathe's lifting, so, for example while Cathe had 10s for the single leg deadlifts, I had 40s. But I couldn't do all the barre reps...that's just not my strength given what I've been focusing on lately...but I'll be able to do them before long (I hope).

Personally, I say if this isn't working for you, just sub another LB workout. No need to spend your time feeling frustrated!

I think the point is that, while continually delivering weights workouts, Cathe has tried here to deliver in a different way. We already have so many DVDs where the emphasis is on barbell squats, lunges, plie squats, deadlifts, i.e., traditional exercises. We all know it so well, we could all go to our exercise rooms right now and reproduce this workout without slotting in any DVD.

Xtrain legs does something different. Its focus is on endurance rather than heavy weights and on hitting the muscles of the legs and glutes from different angles, working all the while on increased stability. In this way, if you do Xtrain legs and also Legs & Glutes, or your other fave leg workout, you will have a more rounded program and be better protected against injury. For example, the traditional Cathe heavy weights leg workout emphasizes the gluteus maximus repeatedly, but not the gluteus minimus or medius. As a runner, a couple of years back I suffered an injury and pain in my hips and knees, even though I had been doing Cathe leg workouts religiously, simply because the other gluteal muscles had been neglected. The sorts of exercises they gave me to do in physiotherapy, hello! are reminiscent of the work Cathe includes on XTrain with the gliding discs. Yes, these use no weight, because no weight is needed. The gluteus medius and minimus do not need heavy weights to train and strengthen them, they are smaller muscles.

Likewise, the barre work and gliding disc work continue to work the inner and outer thigh, areas all women want to train to have shapely legs. But, again, these areas don't need supremely heavy weights, just lighter weights and more repetitions. As with the gluteus medius and minimus, training these areas specifically will help protect you against injury in any sport or other physical activity you choose to do.

Not every leg workout should look and feel the same. Not every leg workout should use heavy weights. Not every leg workout should finish making you feel completely wiped out and unable to get up from your chair the next day! Also, I don't want to buy the same leg workout in every series Cathe releases: I already have GS Legs, S&H legs, B&G, Legs & Glutes, why would I pay again foe the leg workout in Xtrain to be exactly the same again?!!!

Then, there's the boredom and lack of motivation factor: we lose motivation when we do the same activity over and over again. Sometimes, changing the focus of how you train is exactly what the brain needs, is exactly what keeps you interested and coming back to workout, and exactly what provides the stimulus needed to produce results in leg strength, endurance and overall conditioning. Cathe is always telling us: change it up, change produces the stimulus for growth.

Wasn't that the whole point of Xtrain?

Clare

Funny that this should come up. I can understand the feeling that XTrain legs doesn't seem to be enough, but I have had the absolute BEST results from the combination of CLB and disc 5. While I don't feel like my legs are fried, they look the best they have ever looked. I have always worked very hard for lower body, during STS I used the squat rack legs.My legs are very strong, but now they are strong and shapely. For me , sometimes less is more.

I was thinking the exact same thing as Clare, only she said it far better than I would have. I love X Train Legs because of the variety and because it's different, and because with all of the huge variety of moves, it leaves me feeling thoroughly worked out - not just fatigued from heavy lifting, but feeling good because I stretched and bended and reached my legs in all directions and planes.

I also love it because, as Beth said, I'm getting older. I'd still love to do heavy weight work, but when I do for too long, the bod protests rather emphatically. :confused: I admire the heck out of you older ladies who can keep up the heavy work. Not this girl!

So I'm incredibly grateful to Cathe, who is able and willing to give us the best of both worlds. Just like with her Low Impact Series, she listens to her audience and gives us very effective workouts that allow those of us who need to back off a little bit to still stay in excellent shape.

I think you need to give this program some time, I had amazing results from this w/o, Lean legs and abs and great glutes. I alternate between the three, sometimes I do one a week, or if I have time I will squeeze in two. My legs are toned, my butt never looked better and there was zero dread factor.

Then, there's the boredom and lack of motivation factor: we lose motivation when we do the same activity over and over again. Sometimes, changing the focus of how you train is exactly what the brain needs, is exactly what keeps you interested and coming back to workout, and exactly what provides the stimulus needed to produce results in leg strength, endurance and overall conditioning. Cathe is always telling us: change it up, change produces the stimulus for growth.

There are days (or weeks) where I don't feel like lifting or squatting heavy. This is one of those weeks. So today I decided to do the 60 minute Lean Legs & Abs w/the Barre Bonus premix because it was leg day for me and this just sounded fun! And it was! I'm now looking forward to Saturday, where I intend to do the Great Glutes 63 minute premix to round out my routine and target every aspect of my legs/butt. I really really feel these workouts when I focus on my range of motion, going as deep and powerful as possible with the moves and really nailing it with my form.

To the OP, Tmg4612, I personally see and feel a benefit from the variety that XTrain Legs provides. I'd say give the XTrain rotation a few more weeks to see how it works for you because you never know unless you try. BUT if the thought of that makes you crazy or causes dread-factor for your leg days, then just sub in other workouts as you have been doing. Life is too short.

I forgot to mention that I got more of a butt lift out of XTrain than anything else. I always did the premix with the barre added in. I didn't really get DOMS much, but I think results without DOMS is a win-win! Reading all of this is making me think I need to revisit XTrain and lift my booty back up again :p

Barbara

Funny that this should come up. I can understand the feeling that XTrain legs doesn't seem to be enough, but I have had the absolute BEST results from the combination of CLB and disc 5. While I don't feel like my legs are fried, they look the best they have ever looked. I have always worked very hard for lower body, during STS I used the squat rack legs.My legs are very strong, but now they are strong and shapely. For me , sometimes less is more.

I agree with this post. Personally I always thought Cardio Leg Blast was more for strength and XTrain Legs was for shaping and defining the legs muscles.

Hi,

Have you guys looked at the length of these workouts? I often wonder what Amazons can regularly do this much leg work and still complain that it's not enough? 70 to 90 minutes on just butt and legs? I can see splitting them up into different sessions. How do you guys do that much work?

Last edited:
Lower Body Tri sets

Ditto to what Clare said. I was doing Cathe's heavier leg wo's and running, but ended up with ITB problems due to weak hips and unbalanced legs. XT Legs has many exercises similar to what I was doing in PT, so it's a great way to get variety and hit all the muscles.

I had right hip pain for over a year and a half. Had to do swimming and modify a lot. The range of motion was off by so much it was visibly noticeable. Lower body tri sets somehow fixed it.
After doing it consistently for 2-3 months the ROM was restored. I just kept doing it because the hip flexor felt better after each session.

What other people find works for legs makes interesting reading!
I always thought I had really strong legs - until I was humbled by Turbo Barre. And anything with low end lunges still kills me. Slide and Glide is another one - really 'gets' my inner thigh. Weirdly, I find the heavier LB weights workouts much, much easier.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.