WW Core Plan

CarenG

Cathlete
Hello,

I started this plan yesterday. So far I really like it! I wonder how everyone else is doing on this plan.

I don't know how familiar you are with Weight Watchers, but with the new Core Plan you don't have to count points or journal - you just eat from a select list of foods. They are all healthy, non-processed foods, pretty much like clean eating. You get 35 WW "Flex Points" you can eat in a week for things that are not on the Core Plan if you choose to.

I have been a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member for years, but I decided to switch to this plan because I don't always make the best choices. A lot of time I was eating processed junk becaues it was low in points instead of choosing a healthier option. I have recently put a few pounds on, so I'm trying this.

No matter how you dress it up, it all comes down to portion control and healty choices, you know?

I used the points system with great success. Unfortunately, I have put most of the weight back on. Sigh.

Portion control and healthy choices. That's what it's all about.

Good luck to you!

Susan L.G.

I started Monday, still trying to tweek it. I'm coming off of Atkins/Southbeach diet. I feel like I'm cheating by eating brown rice, whole wheat pasta and oatmeal. But I'm getting there. I just make sure to eat just what a serving is. I do like this better.

Good luck!!!

Susan

Does anyone have, or can point me in the right direction of what the core plan list is? So i know which foods can be eaten.

Thank you.

Wayne.

The list is huge - there is actually a whole book on it. You really have to either go to a WW meeting or sign up online to get the details on the plan.

This list is for my friend and she goes to weight watchers and no one there has ever mentioned it. Can you please tell me the title of the book so that i can buy it for her.

Thank you.

Wayne.

Anyone at WW will know about The Core Plan - it just came out Aug. 22nd. There is one basic book available for all members at no extra charge explaining it, and the other more detailed book w/ complete food list is called the Food Campanion Guide.

Thanks for posting. My friend, Debbie, just went yesterday and no one told her anything about it. Clearly i/she lives in the UK, but you'd think that would make little difference. I shall pass on this information to her. If you know of, or have, or anyone else a list of the foods i would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Wayne.

Wayne, I can't help you with the list. But I know we were discussing this new plan at work yesterday. (I live in Canada) My understanding is that in some Canadian provinces the Weight Watchers program has introduced the new core progrram but in Manitoba it hasn't been introduced yet. It will be sometime in the fall. My point is that it hasn't been introduced everywhere as of yet. Kim

I only have the hard copy - nothing on the computer to send - but if you go to the WW Boards you will probably be able to find someone who can send it.

Here's a summary from WW online Wayne:

Core Food List
By WeightWatchers.com | 6/1/2004

The Core Foods are nutritious and include all food groups. Use the overview below to help guide your food choices.

The detailed pages that follow will show you the specific food items on the list. To review a particular category, just select it from the navigation on the right side of the page.

VEGETABLES:

What's Included

Fresh, frozen or canned (without added sauce, fat or sugar)Tomato paste, puree and sauce

Details

Vegetables cannot contain ingredients that are not Core Foods (e.g., regular refried beans, pork & beans, corn in butter sauce, dried tomatoes packed in oil, French fries and sweet pickles are not Core Foods)

Vegetable juices are not Core Foods

FRUITS:

What's Included

Fresh, frozen or canned fruits (without added sugar)

Details

Canned fruit must be packed in water or juice (not syrup) and drained before eating

Unsweetened applesauce is a Core Food, but sweetened applesauce is not

Dried fuits are not Core Foods

Fruit juices are not Core Foods

SOUPS:

What's Included

Fresh, canned, frozen or homemade soups made only with Core Foods

Bean soup (e.g., lentil soup, split pea soup)

Bouillon

Broth-based soup

Tomato soup

Details

Cream soups are not Core Foods

FAT-FREE DAIRY PRODUCTS AND DAIRY SUBSTITUTES:

What's Included

Fat-free milk, cheese and sour cream

Soy milk, cheese and yogurt (plain)

Details

Weight Watchers Smoothies or fat-free, sugar-free instant hot cocoa or reduced-calorie dairy shakes is limited to once a day

EGG AND EGG SUBSTITUTES:

What's Included

Whole eggs, egg whites and egg substitutes

READY-TO-EAT COLD CEREAL:

What's Included

Puffed wheat, puffed rice, shredded wheat, and 100% bran cereals that do not contain added sugar

Details

Cold cereals are limited to one meal a day and must be eaten with fat-free milk or fat-free plain yogurt

COOKED (HOT) CEREAL:

What's Included

Cooked (hot) cereal

Details

Any plain variety that does not contain added sugar

GRAINS AND STARCHES:

What's Included

Whole-wheat pasta, brown rice, potatoes, and grains

Starchy vegetables (e.g., peas, corn)

Details

Whole-wheat pasta or brown rice or potatoes is limited to one meal a day

LEAN MEAT, POULTRY, FISH AND MEAT SUBSTITUTES:

What's Included

Beef, lamb, pork and veal:

At the meat case look for cuts from the "loin," "round," and "leg"

Organ meats

Poultry – Chicken and turkey:

Fresh, frozen, or canned.

Organ meats (e.g., chicken livers)

Fish and shellfish:

Fresh, frozen, or canned, any variety

Meat substitutes:

Dried beans and lentils

Tofu, any type

Vegetarian burgers, frozen

Details

Beef, lamb, pork and veal:

Choose visibly lean cuts and trim any excess fat

Ground beef with no more than 7% fat or ground turkey or ground chicken is limited to one meal a day

Processed meals such as deli products and hot dogs are not Core Foods

Poultry – Chicken and turkey:

Trim any visible fat before preparing and remove skin before eating

Fish and shellfish:

Canned varieties must be packed in water, broth, or tomato juice (not packed in oil)

OILS AND CONDIMENTS:

What's Included

Fat-free salad dressings

Fat-free margarine

Fat-free mayonnaise

Nonstick cooking or baking spray

Extracts, flavorings, and herbs

Select other condiments and extras

Details

Include 2 teaspoons of olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, or flaxseed oil each day

BEVERAGES:

What's Included

Coffee (without sugar)

Tea (without sugar)

Diet soft drinks

Club soda

Seltzer (plain or flavored, unsweetened)

Water

Details

Beverages containing alcohol are not Core Foods

Hi Wayne,

This thread is the first I've heard of the Core Plan, but I'm guessing that anything that has been posted at WW is an incomplete list. They want you to pay for their program. What Dani posted is probably an introduction to the plan--here are the basics, now if you want to know quantities you'll have to give us some money and we'll let you in on the secrets!

I don't think this list is saying "eat any amount of any of these foods that you'd like to". That just can't be, since there are different point values for various fruits and vegetables, cuts of meat, etc.

Hope you find what you're looking for, but you might have to pay for it before you can get all the information you need.

:)
Wendy

Thanks for the replies. As i mentioned before this information is for my friend Debbie. I guess whenever you see a program that says "eat all you want, as much as you want" from these foods groups. It's gonna attract attention! Remember Susan Powter? Eat, Breath and Move. Eat all you want as long as its low fat. Yeah, like that worked!

Thanks for your input.

Wayne.

Wendy and Wayne

Hi!

I do pay for the online program and that's the overview that I'm able to view online. You can eat as many eggs as you want, but on the core plan, you don't stuff yourself. You still have to be sensible. You just eat until satisfied and only eat when hungry.

"Core Plan User Guide:

Congratulations on choosing a food plan that fits your lifestyle and will help you succeed at losing weight. As we mentioned before, the Core Plan has three rules:
1. Eat as much of the Core Foods as you need to feel satisfied.
2. If you want to eat foods that are not on the Core Food List, use your weekly POINTS Allowance.
3. Follow the Good Health Guidelines.

How the Core Plan works
The Core Plan controls calories by focusing your eating on a Core Food List of nutritious, wholesome foods without tracking. This list is comprised of foods from all the food groups: fruits and vegetables, grains and starches, lean meats and poultry, eggs and dairy products. The Core Food List has been pre-selected to provide eating satisfaction without empty calories. You can eat as much of the Core Foods as you need to feel satisfied. Soon you’ll learn what’s on the Core Food List.

You can still eat other foods you love
The Core Plan also lets you eat foods that are not on the Core Food List. Your weekly POINTS Allowance makes it easy to work in other foods—like bagels or juice—as well as treats—like chocolate or alcohol—so you don’t feel deprived. Weight Watchers Online gives you lots of tools to help you use your weekly POINTS Allowance in the way that best suits you. Need an incentive to get active? You can also earn more POINTS values by exercising.

The Good Health Guidelines
Losing weight healthfully is important. Weight Watchers makes learning how to eat for good health while losing weight easier with our Good Health Guidelines. Over the next week, Weight Watchers Online will introduce you to these guidelines, with tips on how to incorporate them into your plan."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.