Worst Christmas Present Ever???

delfin

Cathlete
I thought of doing this post because my father just called me, and he and I really have been getting along great lately. Well, he tells me that my brother got him a.... composter! This is for someone who barely tolerates gardening. My dad tells me he's going to re-gift it for me... LOL. So anyway, what's your worst gift ever??? For me, it's probably when I asked for a cute workout outfit from DH... and he gave me baggy grey shorts with a baggy grey t-shirt to match. I know it's the thought that counts... but still....;)

Just goes to show that you've got to make the gift fit the person you're giving it to (have fun with YOUR new composter, LOL!).

I'm not sure if it was Christmas (might have been birthday, but I think Christmas?), but my Grandma once gave me a bright green sweater (button down) that I looked aweful in (bright green does not compliment my natural paleness). And because it was from Grandma, I had to wear it. (I'm not sure if my distaste for green in clothing dates from then, or if I hated it before!)

Worst Hanukkah present ever was a DVD of the grotesque, disgusting movie "Caligula" given as a gag to DH and me by a now blessedly ex-"friend". He was so enchanted with his own sense of humor about it he couldn't see how dismayed we were that he would think so little of us.

A-Jock

Jerry,
Your comment reminded me that my DH said his Nana would give him a bottle of Brut from the grocery store every Christmas when he was Jr. High and High school age. What teenage boy wants that??? Of course, he had to act thrilled each year when he opened it up.

Gin:)

Old lady Elizabeth Arden perfume "re-gifted" to me by my mother in law, along with a bright blue scarf, and blue would be the one colour I cannot wear, not to mention that it also was made of old lady polyester. I dread presents from my MIL. Ugh!

Clare

I'm going to break away from the worst and tell you that DH just gave me a Cricut machine (for scrapbooking)!!! He's the best!

My DH told me he and the kids are getting me an emergency kit to carry in my Jeep. Complete with flares, jumper cables. I'm soooo excited. He better be bluffing.

Jeanette

Well, I CAN say that certain relatives on my hubby's side have gotten me towels pretty much every year for the past 3-4 years. I love new towels, but it's not something I rave about so I'm thinking "hmmm...are they trying to tell me to bathe more or something?" Then one year I think they got me oven mits. That's it.

HOwever, from my past, I once got a "gift" from my ex mother in law's MOM (so ex grandmother in law?) and it was panties. Panties that were silky huge parachute grandmaw panties that were about 4 sizes too big (even if I would WANT to put those hideous things on my body!) When she called later to see if I liked them, I mentioned they were too big and she said "well, what - do you want them SKIN TIGHT?" I guess she was still thinking of undies as in bloomers or something from the early 1900s ...JEEESH!

Reese,

That is to funny. I got a big pair of undies from an ex mother in law also. They weren't the gradmaw ones, but still way to big. She was a tiny tiny thing and I am tall but thin, I guess she just figured I needed big ones.

Susan

i am usually very thankful for anything i get but i think the worst was when i was meeting dh's family(aunts and all that) and they gave me some very cheap plastic costume jewelery. i am not a jewelery person anyway but this was not like they were even trying.it was horrid orange blues and browns huge chunky bead necklace and bracelets. and i am the weirdo since teens didn't mind getting cool looking socks and all that for christmas(most times asked for that stuff) so i am not hard to please when it comes to gifts but that one stung a bit LOL.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1307/4842454/16585805/276676894.jpg

My Mom traded in some Air Miles to give me gift certificates for car washes, *insert 'game show loser music'*....she's always been cheap but that was the epitome. She did better this year, I got a watch:)

Take Care
Laurie:)

One of the first Christmas's that DH and I were together he got me a radar detector. I don't even speed! I wish we still had it because he has received two speeding tickets in the last couple of months!

Joanne

LOL at the Giant Underpants! :p

Not Christmas but one very difficult year with my kids my DD gave me a rock for Mother's Day and my DS "fired" me. It was a low point for sure. :-(

My grandmother used to give my sibs and I when we were kids some of the most incredibly ugly-itchy-uncomfortable-unfashionable clothes ever manufactured. It seemed like she went out of her way to find this stuff.

That actually got to the point of being funny. My grandmother is actually very cool otherwise.

My gifts are usually what I want. I remember the Worse gift my brothers got.....package of white tube socks and a three pack of planter's peanuts.

Last year I gave my boss BFL book because she was really tring to make changes. This year she told me not to give her anything....

:p

C

Big white cotton granny panties from my M-I-L. The kind where the waist band comes up to the rib cage!

okay...that would have to be this year. a friend at work gave me a wreath made entirely of feathers-nothing else on it, just lots and lots of feathers. the box says "angel wreath." they're different shades of brown. it's just really ugly. i hope i don't offend anyone, it's just not my style.

The meat carving and steak knife set we got from my MIL about two years after we'd stopped eating meat. It wasn't the gift so much, as what it implied. She often let us know that she didn't like the choices we made, from not having kids, not being religious, and not eating meat. It was just a way to let us know that she didn't take us seriously or approve. We tried to make as few waves as possible, but she had nice little manipulative ways of getting at us...like, whenever it was her birthday, and we took her out for dinner, she ALWAYS made a point of ordering VEAL (even at places that served the cheapo frozen breaded kind!!!). I mean, I have friends who, even though they eat meat, would never eat veal! We never said a word, but...well, that's just the kind of person she was.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.