Work your butt!

kathryn

Cathlete
Just thought I'd share some info from the latest issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers that I thought was interesting.

According to the short article, moving backward engages the glutes more than moving forward. So they recommend BACKWARD walking lunges and doing step ups, but starting on top of the step and lowering slowly.

I would recommend, however, doing the backward walking lunges in a safe location!:D

Here's a little blurb...my sons wrestling coach always has the boys do laps forwards and backwards. He was also ahead of the game with spinning...when the boys worked out on the exericse bikes they were not allowed to sit on the seat. All peddling had to be done while standing on the pedals.

AND....interesting enough...this same guy has been working with these boys since they were all 6-7-8 yo's...now they're all in high school and the wrestling team is tough-tough-tough. He is just a dad who has volunteered all his time with these boys over the years but he certainly knows/understands how to train them to be athlete's.

I've heard moving your legs backwards not forward on the Elipical will work you butt more. Also, walking backwards on the treadmill works the butt. Hmmmm, I wonder if I'm coordinated enough to try that. LOL!

Now, to freak out the neighbors by doing backward lunges down the street sounds like a blast!}(

I have a first generation Precor elliptical trainer at home, and the graphics that show the muscle involvement show glutes primarily on backward motion and quads on forward motion. Also, on some of the FIRM workouts, they do step ups on the high step, some starting stepping up, and some start at the top of the step stepping down.

I have gone backwards on the elliptical and while walking outside but have never tried it on a treadmill.

>Now, to freak out the neighbors by doing backward lunges down
>the street sounds like a blast!}(

Especially, perhaps, if they're sitting down, and they only see your head bobbing up and down while going backwards!

I did some combo forward walking lunges/backward walking lunges when I did P90 Masters "Plyo Legs" last night. Another bonus, you don't have to turn around at the end of the length of your space.

>>Now, to freak out the neighbors by doing backward lunges
>down
>>the street sounds like a blast!}(
>

Gawd, my neighbors already talk about me.....hehehe. Lets just give them one more thing;)

Thanks for the info Kathryn!

Robin:)

>>Now, to freak out the neighbors by doing backward lunges
>down
>>the street sounds like a blast!}(
>

Gawd, my neighbors already talk about me.....hehehe. Lets just give them one more thing;)

Thanks for the info Kathryn!

Robin:)

>the street sounds like a blast!

>>>Especially, perhaps, if they're sitting down, and they only see your head bobbing up and down while going backwards!
Kathryn >^. .^<
<<<<<<

I can just hear them saying. "OMG! What a psyco! That neighbor needs a special little white jacket with looooong arms and a padded room! LOL!"

>>>>>>I did some combo forward walking lunges/backward walking lunges when I did P90 Masters "Plyo Legs" last night. Another bonus, you don't have to turn around at the end of the length of your space. Kathryn >^. .^< <<<<<<<

That's a great idea! I'll try that next time.

>>>>>Gawd, my neighbors already talk about me.....hehehe. Lets just give them one more thing
Robin <<<<<<<<<<

Okay, you try it first and let us know how it goes. LOL!

>the street sounds like a blast!

>>>Especially, perhaps, if they're sitting down, and they only see your head bobbing up and down while going backwards!
Kathryn >^. .^<
<<<<<<

I can just hear them saying. "OMG! What a psyco! That neighbor needs a special little white jacket with looooong arms and a padded room! LOL!"

>>>>>>I did some combo forward walking lunges/backward walking lunges when I did P90 Masters "Plyo Legs" last night. Another bonus, you don't have to turn around at the end of the length of your space. Kathryn >^. .^< <<<<<<<

That's a great idea! I'll try that next time.

>>>>>Gawd, my neighbors already talk about me.....hehehe. Lets just give them one more thing
Robin <<<<<<<<<<

Okay, you try it first and let us know how it goes. LOL!

I can barely manage FORWARD walking lunges! (balance issues which I am working on with my new TLTs) but I'm so glad you posted this, I've been wanting to know more about your "Butt Building" rotation if you don't mind sharing. Are you using any DVDs or doing your own routine? Also how do you like your Rockit? Do you feel the work is comparable to doing standing squats?

I can barely manage FORWARD walking lunges! (balance issues which I am working on with my new TLTs) but I'm so glad you posted this, I've been wanting to know more about your "Butt Building" rotation if you don't mind sharing. Are you using any DVDs or doing your own routine? Also how do you like your Rockit? Do you feel the work is comparable to doing standing squats?

I did find that works more on the glutes when I do backward lunges on Cathe's Legs & Glutes.

Thanks!;)

I did find that works more on the glutes when I do backward lunges on Cathe's Legs & Glutes.

Thanks!;)

I'm so glad you
>posted this, I've been wanting to know more about your "Butt
>Building" rotation if you don't mind sharing. Are you using
>any DVDs or doing your own routine? Also how do you like your
>Rockit? Do you feel the work is comparable to doing standing
>squats?

I'm still kind of figuring out my BB rotation, but as the base, I'm using P90 Masters workouts, doing 2 P90 Masters "Plyo Legs" with 4 sets of heavy Rockit squats intervaled in per week (trying to increase my poundage on the Rockit every workout), 1 day (weekend) of a combo of P90 Masters Sculpt 5-6 followed after a break by Cardio 5-6 (as a metabolism booter, good upper body workout, and cardio that hits the lower body with some plyo again), then 1 day of kickboxing (good upper body workout as well as lower body toner and calorie burner) and 1 interval workout per week.

I fill in the other days with stretch or core work or some more cardio (but I don't want to overdo the cardio, because I want to build muscle back there).

I also make sure to have a good recovery drink (I use something called "raw power" mixed with a bit of juice and some soy milk) after my weight workouts.

>Also how do you like your
>Rockit? Do you feel the work is comparable to doing standing
>squats?

Forgot about this part of your question!

I like it because it allows me to go heavy at home without worrying about safety. It supposedly has the same erogonomics as doing a squat, but seeing that one is lying down and supported, it's more like a cross between a squat and a leg press. I am able to go heavier than I could with a squat.

I think it will work quite well for what I want, but it's spent a lot of time as a dust gatherer! If I use it, it will work! (One reason I haven't used it much is that I just recently figured out how to hold on to the back support so that I get a bit of upper body stabilization and don't slide. The hand grips that are on the machine seem made for someone with longer arms (like a guy!), but now that I've figured out what works for me, I hope to use it a lot more. (I've also used it as an incline bench for bicep curls, rear shoulder flyes, etc.

>Do you mean that dips are better than lunges? I always
>thought they were more difficult.

Firm calls them 'dips,' but most everyone else calls them 'rear lunges.'

They hit the glutes and hams more than forward lunges do.

I've always found forward lunges more challenging (perhaps not necessarily 'more difficult') because it's harder to keep forward pressure off the front knee. Though traveling lunges work better for me as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.