Work Related Issue-Your Advice

Madonna

Cathlete
My manager hired a new salesperson for our office. This person does not have any experience in our field. I am really not sure what he does all day.

He doesnt carry his weight (he doesnt know what he is doing) and it all falls on my shoulders. He outranks me and cannont give any guidance on any projects.

I do not think it is my responsibility to train him since he makes twice what I make.

How you would handle this situation?

Seriously? I would look at this as an opportunity to take the reins and show your manager just what you are capable of. Every time you have to do something, sit down with this new guy and show him what you are doing and why. Also make a list of the people he should be talking to to learn what it is that he should be doing. I'm sure he doesn't want to sit around confused all day. If you help him out, he will remember you kindly to your manager and your manager will know that you are a team player who is willing to step up to the plate and do what needs to be done. If I were your manager, and you showed that kind of intiative, I would reward you in any way I could.

Yeah, this is one of those situations in which there's nothing much you can do but suck it up or find another job. I can guarantee you anything he does under your supervision he will get credit for.

I've been through similar circumstances & it's annoying, frustrating & demoralizing. If there's someone other than your boss but in a high enough position to at least recognize your efforts, I would have a friendly conversation with him/her--not complaining, maybe just a "review of the day" to make sure those in charge are aware of your hard work.

Other than that my only suggestion is to go home & do KPC at the end of the day.

I have thought about that but by the time December, 2006 rolls around and it is annual reveiw time, all my efforts will be forgotten.

I have found that it just doesnt do much good to go above and beyond the call of duty. All I have to do is one thing to make the new sales guy mad and all my help will be for naught.

Besides, he makes twice what I make and it is the principal.

LauraMax:

How would you handle the situation with training? Would you remain slippery and let him find the training on his own? Or would you go ahead and teach him what you know?

I dont want to quit my job.

Well, I personally would swallow my pride and help him find out what he needs to know. Reason being, you never know who your next boss may be. (Seriously.) I would also, however, start compiling a monthly or weekly activity report which detailed the tasks you're undertaking and how you are going beyond your job description. Send them to your boss each month, but save a copy so that when review time comes around, you can print another set to review your yearly accomplishments.

The person responsible for your career is you, so maybe you can use this as a launching pad for something else, like he teaches you what he knows (he has to have some qualifications to get hired, even if they aren't in your industry), or maybe you can talk to your boss about how to get to the next level.

My biggest complaint with the folks who work for me is that they are all talk and no action. They tell me they want something more but I don't see any follow-up. I want to see someone taking risks and stepping outside their comfort zone to get where they want to go.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you!
Marie

Madonna:

While I completely understand your frustration regarding the fact that he is untrained and makes more I also agree that you could totally use this for good!

As one person said, help him out... teach him what he needs to know and help him where you can.

Remember one thing. As an employee you should have no idea that this person makes more than you do and if you even break wind that you do then your job is so on the line and you'll be looking for a new job and not on your terms.

The fact is that you can look at it as a way to make the situation positive or negative and the way you handle it is up to you.

Good luck! ;-)

Marie has an interesting answer by creating a weekly activity report. Since you don't want to quit your job, you have to assist him. If you refuse, you'll be labeled as difficult and insubordinate. I wouldn't bend over backwards to help him, but I would provide minimal assistance/help.

Before he came onboard, who did you get guidance from?

I think Madonna and Marie have given you some very sage advice. I would just add that I wouldn't want to be thought of by my boss as someone that is NOT a team player.

Michele

I've been there, & I've just done the training. Got absolutely no credit for it to this day.

I'm in a unique situation in that I work for local govmt in the town in which I live. So what that means is every single thing I or my coworkers do actually effect me as a resident. I also take great pride in my work, whether I'm recognized for it or not--I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't.

So I try to view it as a job well done & feel good about it on my own. Of course the problem is the more you do, the more you're expected to do. It really is a sticky situation.

The daily activity report is a great idea. Even if it's a diary type thing you do on your own, at least you'll have something to show when you ask for your raise (which I hope you do after this guy is fully trained & on his own). Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to use this to your advantage rather than end up getting walked all over.

Madonna, believe me I know what you mean about helping others and watching THEM getting the credit and you nothing. In fact, it seems where I work, that poor performance is rewarded, esp. laziness and shoving work off on others, while good work is either ignored or punished! Go figure.

Still I agree you should do all you can to help this new person and keep detailed records on what you do. Save that info for your annual reviews, and to help write up a new resume (which you should do even if you don't want to change jobs!). I TRY always to do my best, because even though my boss doesn't appreciate it (neither do the supers), I don't who might be watching me and does like my work! And you don't know who else might be aware of your situation and watching to see how you handle it! You might be surprised (pleasantly I hope!) what others see!

And never, ever, breathe a word about this person's paycheck!!! Kisten is so right...it could cost you your job!

Good luck, and let us know how things work out for you...and do KP&C when you get home:)

Thanks to everyone, you have given some good advice.

I decided to so something completely different from what any of you suggested. I called my boss and left him a message. When he returns my call, I am going to speak with him about the situation and see what he expects my responsibilities to be where this person is concerned. That will open a dialog and instead of sitting here fuming and getting a bad attitude, I will know what is expected of me.

Maybe I can use the situation to my advantage. But at least I will know how to govern myself and can act accordingly.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.