Why...WHY won't my no-bake cookies harden??

Clarissa

Cathlete
Please help me! I have made three bad batches. They just won't harden. They sit on the counter like gobs of sh!$! Any suggestions!? :)
TIA, Clarissa

Did you boil them long enough? I think under-boiling will cause them to not harden.

Have you tried chilling them?

Gayle - no, but I will put this 3rd batch in the fridge to see if it helps. Thanks. I read on the recipe that it should harden instantly however. I am so discouraged. I am practicing for Christmas, and I just can't get them right. I am using real butter too (not margarine which will ruin the recipe for sure, according to the recipe) so that isn't it either. ??

I can never get these to turn out either! They are either too mushy, or hard as rocks... My mom said they are undercooked if they are not setting and are runny, like Gayle said.... depending on how your stove is set (gas or electric) my mom cooks at rolling boil for 5 minutes with her electric...

:) Yummy though! good luck with the next batch...

Altitude and humidity will make a difference too. You need to adjust boiling time for altitude and don't try to make candies (which no-bakes are) on a day with high humidity.

Good luck!

Some Tips for no-bake cookies

Are you making the kind with oatmeal, peanut butter, and cocoa?

1) make sure you are using "quick-cooking oats"
2)You need to bring the mixture to a boil over med-high heat
3) Once it comes to a full (rolling boil), boil for 1 1/2 minutes OR using a candy themometer bring the temp up to 235-240 degrees (soft ball stage). If you do use a candy themometer make sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the pan :)

That should solve the "non setting" issues.

HTH!!
Lisa

Thanks for the posts! I truly feel as though I followed everything to the "T" but I will try yet again - do you think it is b/c I used reduced fat PB by chance?

Yep, that could be it for sure, to replace the fat, they use other crap, so that might be it!

Thanks for the posts! I truly feel as though I followed everything to the "T" but I will try yet again - do you think it is b/c I used reduced fat PB by chance?

I always use a bit more oatmeal than called for. I think it's 1 stick of butter, 2 c. sugar, 1 c. PB, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 3 c. oats (but I usually use 4). I'll have to double check, but these are a family fav!

Close Jess, but the recipe I have calls for 3 TBS only of peanut butter, not a whole cup. I wonder if my recipe is just bad. I got it online.

My recipe calls for a half cup of peanut butter.

I always use margarine and they almost always turn out. But if I can tell that it's not as thick as it should be, I add in extra oats also.

Ironically, no bake cookies are the only kind of cookies I can make. :p

OK, I was close.

Here's my MIL's recipe that I always use.

2 c. sugar
1 stick butter
2/3 c. milk

Mix together in saucepan and heat til boiling, stirring constantly. Let boil for 3 minutes, and keep stirring.

Remove from heat.

Add:
1/2 c. crunchy PB
1 tsp. vanilla
3 c. oatmeal (but might need a little more if still seems soupy)

Drop by spoonful onto waxed paper. Let stand until firm.

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.