Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Why...WHY won't my no-bake cookies harden??

This is a discussion on Why...WHY won't my no-bake cookies harden?? within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Please help me! I have made three bad batches. They just won't harden. They sit on the counter like gobs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Cathlete
Clarissa's Profile Fields

Angry Why...WHY won't my no-bake cookies harden??

Please help me! I have made three bad batches. They just won't harden. They sit on the counter like gobs of sh!$! Any suggestions!?
TIA, Clarissa
Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Cathlete

Did you boil them long enough? I think under-boiling will cause them to not harden.

Have you tried chilling them?

Old 12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Cathlete

Gayle - no, but I will put this 3rd batch in the fridge to see if it helps. Thanks. I read on the recipe that it should harden instantly however. I am so discouraged. I am practicing for Christmas, and I just can't get them right. I am using real butter too (not margarine which will ruin the recipe for sure, according to the recipe) so that isn't it either. ??
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Cathlete
dbelden1's Profile Fields

I can never get these to turn out either! They are either too mushy, or hard as rocks... My mom said they are undercooked if they are not setting and are runny, like Gayle said.... depending on how your stove is set (gas or electric) my mom cooks at rolling boil for 5 minutes with her electric...

Yummy though! good luck with the next batch...

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... brilliantly disguised as impossible situations!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Cathlete
lrayburn's Profile Fields

Altitude and humidity will make a difference too. You need to adjust boiling time for altitude and don't try to make candies (which no-bakes are) on a day with high humidity.

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Cathlete
upnorthchick's Profile Fields

Default Some Tips for no-bake cookies

Are you making the kind with oatmeal, peanut butter, and cocoa?

1) make sure you are using "quick-cooking oats"
2)You need to bring the mixture to a boil over med-high heat
3) Once it comes to a full (rolling boil), boil for 1 1/2 minutes OR using a candy themometer bring the temp up to 235-240 degrees (soft ball stage). If you do use a candy themometer make sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the pan

That should solve the "non setting" issues.

HTH!!
Lisa
Old 12-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Cathlete

Thanks for the posts! I truly feel as though I followed everything to the "T" but I will try yet again - do you think it is b/c I used reduced fat PB by chance?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Cathlete

Yep, that could be it for sure, to replace the fat, they use other crap, so that might be it!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Cathlete
Jess_jugs's Profile Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa View Post
Thanks for the posts! I truly feel as though I followed everything to the "T" but I will try yet again - do you think it is b/c I used reduced fat PB by chance?
I always use a bit more oatmeal than called for. I think it's 1 stick of butter, 2 c. sugar, 1 c. PB, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 3 c. oats (but I usually use 4). I'll have to double check, but these are a family fav!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Cathlete

Close Jess, but the recipe I have calls for 3 TBS only of peanut butter, not a whole cup. I wonder if my recipe is just bad. I got it online.