Why don't folks have stretch marks??

I have been checking out fitness and figure competitors and noticed nobody has any stretch marks. Is it because most of them have tans? Is there a secret formula I don't know about?:)

I just found it rather interesting you don't see marks on any of them. Yes, I realize many photos are enhanced, but I find this kind of odd? Is it just me? As I sit here with my "badges" of honor all over my stomach and hips, feeling like a box of oatmeal cookies. (LOL!)

Everyone's skin elsticity is different. Some are just blessed with skin that bounces back no matter what. :)

I did not get any stretch marks from pregancy yet have had them for years on the inside of my knees and on my hips from weight gain/loss and I was never anything beyond "chunky" in my life and have NEVER been considered underweight at all either.

A gal I work with used to have lots of stretch marks after having three big babies. She got rid of them with a tummy tuck & it really looks amazing. I wouldn't want to do it because you lose all flexibility.

Oh, believe me! I have plenty of *mommy marks* as my dd's call them! Not fair to the people that don't have them but I'm sure the tanning helps! Maybe someone will share their *secret*.

During my first pregnancy I looked like a purple zebra!!!

So many, many stretch marks from that little sweetie.
Even though I weighed 30 lobs LESS with my 2nd pregnancy I STILL got new stretch marks - not fair!
I'm interested to see if I will get new "stripes" with this pregnancy - even though I'm at my fittest yet for pregnancy.

Wish me luck!

A friend of mine who competed in a figure competition not only tanned but used a bronzing creme that is suppose to be popular for competition ,maybe it offers some coverage?!

I don't have any stretch marks, as I'm in the category of people that have been "blessed" with good skin. (Believe me, there are plenty of other things I would love to change on my body!)

I'm 6mos pregnant at this point, and so far, I'm in the clear. The next few months will be telling.

But genetics plays almost 100% of the role in terms of who is prone to them and who isn't. But tanning does help too. :)

I have had stretch marks on the insides of my thighs since Jr. High. I have always HATED them and have been SO self conscious!!! I think I got them when I went from 4'11" to 5'8" in just a year and 1/2. I had a HUGE growth spurt. I also cheered all during that time and I think all the extensive streching (torture) we went through to get the Russian splits also played a role. Tanning helps hide them a little, but they are still there. In fact, I've read that tanning is actually bad (besides the obvious reasons) because it makes them darker and they tend to stay darker after the surrounding skin has lost its tan.

As for those photos though, it's possible that some of them just have wonderful genes but with all that self tanner and gunk that they grease up with, I would think it would be hard to see stretch marks anyways. And there is always the power of airbrushing! ;)

I'm one of those blessed with good skin, I guess. I gained 60 lbs with my pregnancy and don't have any stretch marks.

I bet the tanning stuff is what covers them up, unless ALL those figure/fitness competitors are blessed with the no stretch marks kind of skin, but that doesn't seem likely, does it?

I've got tons of stretch marks, and I never had a baby! I did have a dramatic weight gain and loss when I was a teen though. I'm with Liann: I think the inner thigh stretch marks are probably the ones that bother me the most. No wonder I don't like to wear swimsuits.

I think if you're relatively young and muscular, you can probably hide them nicely with tanning spray. (If you're older and thinner, well...don't ask x( )

I'm in the same boat as Nancy. Never had a baby, but I have tons of stretch marks. x( They're mostly on my hips and breasts - I filled out very quickly in those areas when I went through puberty. They're faded and not too noticeable now that I'm 29, but I still notice them. I shudder to think what pregnancy will do to my body now that my skin is older and less elastic.

Well, I only had one pregnancy and made sure I moisturized everyday my belly & no stretch marks! Yeh!! I gained 45lbs and have never been overweight.

I moisturize from head to toe every day so maybe that is the secret!

I don't have any stretch marks from my pregnancies either, and I used Palmer's Stretch Mark Cream religiously every day. I swear by it. I also didn't gain a lot of weight (21 pounds for 1st, 27 pounds for 2nd), only because I had morning sickness 24/7.

I do not have one stretch mark just my Cesarean scar. I am 5' 8" I average between 135-145 lbs I am 37 years old I had twins at 30 and my son at almost 34. I am just now starting to battle some cellulite on my rear.

beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

I don't have any kids, but I developed stretch marks on the hips during puberty. My mother had 6 babies and did not get one stretch mark! It's not fair!! My mom said she used cocoa butter religiously during her pregnancy, so that might have helped her.
Lorrie

I've had three babies and not a stretch mark to be seen. I swear by Palmer's Cocoa Butter and would rub my belly like a Buddha with it after every shower.

On the flip side, though, I've worked out religiously since I was in my early 20s and at 38 have cellulite on my butt and upper thighs that won't budge.

Maybe that's the tradeoff?

Very cute smiley bottom.....luv it!!!

I have stretch marks on my hips and lower back from rapid growth growing up. I have had two boys. Gained 42 lbs with the first and 45 lbs with the second. I did not get stretch marks with the pregnancies. I used Cetaphil cream right after I took a shower as well. I would slather that stuff on like crazy.

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.