Who's watching Breaking Bad S5?

mini-natty

Cathlete
**for those that have not watched this series or are not up to date with the current Season 5, the following posts may contain spoilers :D**

What do you guys think so far? I was reading that many have disliked this season, calling it slow & cumbersome, as compared to past season's.

What do you think of Skylar's character development? Do you feel bad for her?
What about Walter? Love him or loathe him?

I won't say much in this post just in case I ruin it for others, but I think Jessie is going to end up in a mental institution.
Poor guy :(.

Please chime in :)

Natasha

**for those that have not watched this series or are not up to date with the current Season 5, the following posts may contain spoilers :D**

What do you guys think so far? I was reading that many have disliked this season, calling it slow & cumbersome, as compared to past season's.

What do you think of Skylar's character development? Do you feel bad for her?
What about Walter? Love him or loathe him?

I won't say much in this post just in case I ruin it for others, but I think Jessie is going to end up in a mental institution.
Poor guy :(.

Please chime in :)

Natasha

LOVE Breaking Bad. I can't stand Skylar, but I haven't since season 1. I love Walter.

I do feel sorry for Jesse. I never really thought he was cut out for that type of "business" and everything that goes along with it.

:eek: As you know, Natty, I am a HUGE Breaking Bad fan!! :D

Jesse is my absolute favorite character. Spoilers coming up....

I was so proud of him last night walking away from Walt and the money. The way Walt has pushed his buttons and manipulated him all this time was so painful to watch and to see him finally stand up to him and let the manipulations bounce off was so gratifying. I don't root for Walt anymore but I love watching his moral disintegration. It's so fascinating...like watching a train wreck! lol Can't look away!

Do you guys ever go to the AMC official site and watch the insider videos? Jonathan Banks (Mike) was such a sweetie on this weeks insider video. What a great guy.

Love Breaking Bad, all that moral ambiguity. But I'm still stuck in the middle of season 2 on DVD!

I had to take a break fir a while, things were getting so hairy, for a while, I couldn't bear to watch! I get so nervous for the characters. Wimp!

I'll catch up eventually, no rush. I have never liked Skylar either. Something about her amorphous, detached pregnancy personality leaves me cold. Hard to sympathize. Walter and Jesse are the more convincing "couple."

Clare

How much do I love this show?! The characters aren't supposed to be likable. I saw an interview with Vince Gilligan, and he said he was very upset that there were still some people who "liked" Walt and Jesse. He said before this season aired that they were going to make sure nobody could possibly root for them anymore. Holy crap, did they deliver.

I think Skylar is a more complicated character than we give her credit for. As you see her evolve through the seasons, you see that she is in constant turmoil with her conscience. Even in the first season she is struggling with some of her actions that you don't learn about until later. I think she is emotionally exhausted all the time, and that affects the way she interacts with her family.
I am finding it really interesting to watch her slowly come undone.

The entropy is starting to move faster...I don't understand how they are saying it's slowing down! I will say that I was very impressed with Jesse last night. His is the only character I feel compassion for at this point. He has been dealing with a bad hand from the start.

Love Breaking Bad, all that moral ambiguity. But I'm still stuck in the middle of season 2 on DVD!

I had to take a break fir a while, things were getting so hairy, for a while, I couldn't bear to watch! I get so nervous for the characters. Wimp!

I'll catch up eventually, no rush. I have never liked Skylar either. Something about her amorphous, detached pregnancy personality leaves me cold. Hard to sympathize. Walter and Jesse are the more convincing "couple."

Clare

I totally get the nervous tension! I get a knot in my stomach sometimes watching this show! I've never been so engrossed with something that is so agonizing to watch at times. When I first got into it, it was between seasons 3 and 4. I went out and bought the first two seasons on DVD because I kept hearing how good it was. DH and I inhaled those first two seasons within one week. We'd put the kids to bed and stay up late watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row...every single night staying up past midnight. I was a zombie that week at work! lol:eek: The third season wasn't out yet so I quickly went on Amazon and downloaded it all to my computer so we could watch that, too. Then of course when season 4 started we were all caught up and had to wait each week for the next episode. Excruciating! :eek:

I've always gotten the sense that Vince Gilligan has a pretty big soft spot for the character Jesse but I can totally see his discomfort with people still rooting for Walt at this point. I read David Chase was in a similar situation when the Sopranos were on, people loving Tony despite all the despicable things he did.

I'm really hoping for a redemptive arc for Jesse. I hope (knock on wood, cross my fingers) that he winds up alive and with some sort of redemption by the end of the show. The way Aaron Paul portrays him with so much heart is just amazing. Can you tell I'm a fan?? :p

Interesting and timely question I used to love Breaking Bad, but I am close to giving it up. I could kind of be in Walt's corner when he needed the money for his family, although I was repulsed by how he was earning it. Despite that, the show was incredibly entertaining. And darkly comedic.

This season (well, it really started last season when he poisoned the kid), I find Walt has completely lost his humanity, is so arrogant there's no word to describe it, and I find nothing to like or care about. If he was killed, I'd actually be relieved. I don't find the show entertaining this season...it doesn't keep me on the edge my seat and I don't find myself laughing at things I know I shouldn't. I guess I keep watching because I hope it will become good again, but I'm not going to last much longer. Another reason I keep watching is for Jesse, who could have a good, "normal" life and find love if Walt would quit screwing with him. (yes, I know it's not real...you know what I mean!).

This is just my opinion. Oh, and I've never liked Skyler.

OTOH, I'm anxiously waiting for the new season of Sons of Anarchy Not a show I thought I would like, but a friend turned me on to it a few months ago...I'm all caught up and ready for season 5. Hope they don't make me hate Jax...

Okay, so I was watching this week's episode when typing my earlier message, then I got to the part where Mike tells Walt off and I was thinking "Hey, thats what I think! You tell 'em Mike" and you know what happened next. Sheesh, another one of the few characters I like gone. :-( Or is he? :)

I get the feeling that Jesse is going to eventually turn Walt in. Can't stand Skylar either. I can't wait to see Hank's expression once he figures out that Walt is Heisenberg.

Okay, so I was watching this week's episode when typing my earlier message, then I got to the part where Mike tells Walt off and I was thinking "Hey, thats what I think! You tell 'em Mike" and you know what happened next. Sheesh, another one of the few characters I like gone. :-( Or is he? :)

I AM SO PISSED ABOUT MIKE!!! I really liked him too :(. Still confused if Walter actually killed him or if he ended up killing himself :confused:. But now that you mention it, Mike is way too smart to ask Walter to bring the bag w/a gun and not suspect him to do anything. Perhaps he did "fake" his death! That would be a pretty awesome twist indeed!

YES, I love Sons of Anarchy! I only watched the last season, but I really want to watch the other seasons! Katey Sagal is brilliant! She's is lookin' hotter than ever too!

Last edited:
OMG! Talk about spoilers! I have started viewing again, but I'm still in season 2: just saw tortuga's head crossing the border. Nice! Every time I see that actor I just think "machete don't text!".

My 15 year old watches with me and it apparently doesn't make her as nervous as it does me! Mind you she just watched Pulp Fiction and liked it......

Clare

Say my name.

:eek:

OMG YES! That part was friggin' awesome! Walter is such a bad a$$ it's not even funny. Apart from hating his guts now, I find his attractiveness to have gone up 10-fold since season one :eek:. Not that I've ever been really attracted to the bad boy persona, but there is just something about him ;). Perhaps it's the goatee and bald head. He is even dressing better compared to his geeky teacher clothes from season 1. With that said, if he died, I would be ok with it :D. Now if something dare happen to Jessie, I'm going to have an official b**ch fit in my living room and possibly break something :D.

OMG! Talk about spoilers! I have started viewing again, but I'm still in season 2: just saw tortuga's head crossing the border. Nice! Every time I see that actor I just think "machete don't text!".

My 15 year old watches with me and it apparently doesn't make her as nervous as it does me! Mind you she just watched Pulp Fiction and liked it......

Clare

Ohhh you just wait Clare!!! I was on the edge of my couch throughout most of season's 2-4. I even had to get up a few times and pace around. I was that nervous. Have you "met" Saul yet? Another fantastic character you are going to LOVE.

The series is just brilliant. I'm sad to see it end :(. But I still have Dexter, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Son's of Anarchy to keep me busy for a few more years ;)

Oh Natty (and all you quality t.v. watchers! ;)) you should totally check out Homeland, too on Showtime. Great show also! :D

mini-natty said:
Ohhh you just wait Clare!!! I was on the edge of my couch throughout most of season's 2-4. I even had to get up a few times and pace around. I was that nervous. Have you "met" Saul yet? Another fantastic character you are going to LOVE.

The series is just brilliant. I'm sad to see it end :(. But I still have Dexter, Mad Men, Walking Dead and Son's of Anarchy to keep me busy for a few more years ;)

WHAT???? Is this the last season?!?!? How'd I miss that??? Well, now it all makes sense in terms of what they might be setting up...I for sure will keep watching.

Oh, and I love Saul too!

mini-natty said:
I AM SO PISSED ABOUT MIKE!!! I really liked him too :(. Still confused if Walter actually killed him or if he ended up killing himself :confused:. But now that you mention it, Mike is way too smart to ask Walter to bring the bag w/a gun and not suspect him to do anything. Perhaps he did "fake" his death! That would be a pretty awesome twist indeed!

YES, I love Sons of Anarchy! I only watched the last season, but I really want to watch the other seasons! Katey Sagal is brilliant! She's is lookin' hotter than ever too!

Oh good, we'll have to start an SOA thread. :). You'll love the earlier seasons...they're available on Netflix if you have access to that.

Re: Mike, it would be awesome if he survived and intentionally ratted out Walter. Hee hee, someone's gotta do it!

WHAT???? Is this the last season?!?!? How'd I miss that??? Well, now it all makes sense in terms of what they might be setting up...I for sure will keep watching.

Oh, and I love Saul too!

Well, the show is ending but next week's episode isn't the very last one. They decided to "split" season 5 into two 8 episode mini-seasons. They will show the last 8 episodes next summer...a whole dang year to wait! :mad: Phooey! I hate waiting! I actually don't even mind that they split the season (they did it with Walking Dead too) but I wish they were showing it in winter 2013 or even early spring. :(

cokonkel said:
Well, the show is ending but next week's episode isn't the very last one. They decided to "split" season 5 into two 8 episode mini-seasons. They will show the last 8 episodes next summer...a whole dang year to wait! :mad: Phooey! I hate waiting! I actually don't even mind that they split the season (they did it with Walking Dead too) but I wish they were showing it in winter 2013 or even early spring. :(

I can't believe I didn't know about any of this. I always skip over the promos and commercials, so I guess that's why.

I wonder what the rationale is for making us wait an entire year for the last 8 episodes? Makes no sense to me, but I'm just a viewer.... ;-). Thanks for letting me know!

I can't believe I didn't know about any of this. I always skip over the promos and commercials, so I guess that's why.

I wonder what the rationale is for making us wait an entire year for the last 8 episodes? Makes no sense to me, but I'm just a viewer.... ;-). Thanks for letting me know!

Vince Gilligan said it was to give them time to create and shoot the story the way it needs to be done rather than having to hurry through. It is killing me that I have to wait until next summer for the end! But, I'd rather it be done right than have it be a huge disappointment because of a time crunch.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.