Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Rolls

elsie3

Cathlete
I made these yesterday and my kids almost passed out when I said they could have them for breakfast. They loved them--I did too!

Quick Cinnamon Rolls
Dough:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour or whole wheat flour (I use all whole wheat)
2 tablespoons dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
1/3 cup oil (I used 1/4 cup Smart Balance Oil and it worked fine)
1/3 cup honey or sugar (I used honey)
2 eggs (I used Omega 3)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Filling:
1 1/2 cups applesauce (I use the 'no sugar added' kind).
2 apples, cored and shredded (I leave the peels on)
1/2 cup raisins (optional--we left these out since not everyone likes them)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Mix ingredients together and spread on rolled-out dough.

Mix whole wheat flour and yeast. Add water, oil, sugar, eggs and salt; mix well. *I have a Kitchen Aid mixer and use the dough hook* Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until dough just cleans the sides of the bowl. Do not add too much flour. Dough should be quite soft. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. (Use the dough hook--it makes better whole wheat bread products than if you knead by hand. Although your triceps don't get a workout).
On lightly oiled surface roll dough into a large rectangle about 14x32 inches and a scant 1/4-inch thick. Spread evenly with apple mixture.
Roll up as for a jelly roll, starting with the long side. Seal the seam by pinching dough together. With seam side down, cut into 1 1/4" slices using dental floss, fishing line, or string. (Slide string under the roll, cross it over the top, and pull down.) Place rolls cut-side up on a nonstick or greased baking sheet. Let rise until very light and double in size.

Bake: 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Note: My kitchen is always too cold for raising yeast doughs, so I put the pan in a warm oven (200 degrees or "keep warm" setting) and let it raise. I raised these for 45 minutes. Then I just turn up the oven to 350 degrees with the pan still in, instead of preheating the oven. This method will add a little to the baking time, but just keep checking after the minimum time.

Enjoy!

Elsie

Other note: I have a wheat grinder and use freshly ground flour--or flour that I've ground and stored in the freezer. It makes a HUGE difference nutritionally and (especially) tastily.

I just used the apples I had in the fridge--whatever was on sale last week (I think they were Cameo). I grated them on the biggest holes of my hand grater. I quartered the apples and cut out the core first and then they were very easy to grate.

My kids think the only thing that would make them better would be cream cheese frosting. I might do that next time, but save some unfrosted ones for me.:9

Elsie

These sound delicous. My daughter will be home for a week starting Saturday (semester break from college) so I will have to give these a try.

Jo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.