Who has a power tower/pull-up bar, etc.?

workout junkie

Cathlete
I'm wanting one for Christmas and was wondering what kind you all have and if you like it. Edie (aka bestoutwest) recently posted that she got one from Sports Authority with an assisted dip/pull-up mechanism that looks neat, but I'm not sure if the extra expense is worth it.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Melissa

P.S. Is there a difference between chin-ups and pull-ups?

Melissa,

I am truly biased now, because I LOVE my new machine!! It has 2 levels of resistance, so you can make the dips and pullups as hard or easy as you want. Or if you are really ambitious, don't use the assist at all!!:eek: It will be awhile for me to not use the assist! Instead of bench dips for triceps, I now use the machine. I have found it to be very versatile - lots of possibilities with ab work as well.

I hope others will tell you about their equipment. And I don't know the difference between a chin-up and a pullup!:p

Most of all, I hope you get the equipment you want for Christmas! How fun would that be?!?!?:+

I got the Door Gym from gymcor.com. I had to buy the extension bars since the door on which I hook the Door Gym is wider than standard. It works really well for me since I have a very small workout space. I hook it up when I need it and take it down afterwards. I stand on a small bench to reach it and use this bench for assisted reps.

Chin-ups are done with a narrow grip, palms facing you. Pull-ups are done with a slightly wider grip, palms facing away from you. But I've also noticed, in my readings about pull-ups, that these terms are interchangeable. So some people call a pull-up a chin-up, and vice versa. I guess it depends on who you ask.

Here's a link I find helpful:
http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/304391

Pinky

Thanks - I'll have to go to Sports Authority and check it out. I want DH to see how this assisted one might be better for me than the traditional power tower. We are moving into a house where I will have a nice big workout room (I'm so excited) so I have plenty of room for one of these machines.

Pinky,

Did you get the Ab loops accessory with your door gym? I've been looking at those. I used them a lot when I worked out with a personal trainer. Talk about a killer ab work out!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Michele:)

No Michele, I didn't. Insufficient funds and all that.;-) But I do feel my abs worked out a bit when doing unassisted pull-ups. It supplements my Cathe ab workouts. You know, I just might get those loops one day. Thanks for the tip!

Pinky:)

Thanks for the interesting link Pinky. I could never understand why I could do a few (as in very very few) chin-ups unassisted, but not one pull-up (yet ;))....that article really explains it.

Robin ("a work in progress"):)

I have a Door Gym, but it broke a few weeks ago when I was showing my son how to do a negative pull-up. My DH fixed it, but I'm afraid to try again.

We just bought a power tower, but haven't assembled it. It's going to be a family Christmas gift - my 3 boys really want one.

Erica

Let me know how you like it once you get it assembled. Where did you get it? I saw one at Sports Authority and another at Dick's - they looked similar but slightly different. Both were on sale for $99.

I still want one, but told DH I don't need it right now. I've had to take a break from working out the last few weeks and I feel like a weakling. I need to get my strength back before I even attempt a pull-up.

Thanks,
Melissa

I've had a Door Gym for YEARS and never got it put up until this year, and I'm so proud of myself for now being able to do chin-ups! Chin-ups and pull-ups will take your fitness level to places you could only dream of before.
Just Do It! :)

Yay! DH got me the Power Tower from Dick's for Christmas ($99). Now we just have to put it together.

Thanks for the link to that site about pull-ups!

We put our chin up tower together Sunday. And I was really suprised that I could get 3/4 of the way up- that's without any practice or warm up. Yippee!!! I think that means that I may just be able to do one someday and hopefully 5 which is my goal. Let me know how you like yours. Oh and I also tried doing dips- man alot different than doing them on your step :eek: Gotta keep em shallow for now!!

Catherine

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.