Where do you get great prices on airline tickets?

angie_nrs

Cathlete
I rarely fly but I need to book tickets for a flight to Vegas in November. I've tried the airline sites and they always seem to be higher than the other sites like bookit and orbitz. I also checked the price indicator on bing last night and they posted a 85% probability that prices would go down in the next 7 days, yet today it says with a 65% probability that prices will go up in the next 7 days.??:mad: So, I'm thinking that watching the price of crude oil will be a better indicator to look at. However, since I'm now nearing only 2 months from the travel date, should I book or wait?

Is it true that Tuesday mornings are the best time for airfare rates?

Any insight on the best place to book tickets and the best time would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Angie

We usually use Priceline for a total package, Cheap Tickets or Orbitz. The last two are normally close in price. If you're looking for hotel along with it, you can get great deals on Priceline. My DH and I have taken several trips to Europe very cheaply thanks to that site!

I was an airline reservation agent for 10 years. Here are a few things to keep in mind. Almost all discounted fares require an advance purchase. Anywhere from 7 to 21 days. So, in theory the fares could go way down but if you wait too long you will not qualify for them. Also, airlines offer a limited number of discounted seats on each flight. Once they're gone, even if you still meet the advance purchase requirements, they're gone. This is why the general perception is that weekdays are cheaper, in reality it's just that the discounted fares get snatched up faster on Fri/Sun. Keep in mind that most flights into Vegas sell out no matter what the day. Whatever you do, do not buy a ticket then decide to change it. All savings will be lost in change fees and fare increases. Many airlines have what's called 'the guaranteed airfare rule'. This means if you buy a ticket, and the fare goes down, and it's available on the exact same flight you're booked on, you might get some kind of refund. The rules vary by airline and some don't offer it at all but you can always ask. The trick is the fare must be available on your flight so if it's an advance purchase fare and your flights leaving tomorrow you don't qualify. Also you have to call the airline to get a refund, they will not contact you. One more thing. As res agents we lived by the 'SCWN' rule, subject to change without notice. Airfares, rules, fees, etc. change almost on a daily basis. I haven't been a res agent for over three years so everything I just said may be wrong.:p

In my own experience, whenever I have waited, I've ended up paying more.
disclaimer *** That's not saying this would be your experience, though.

Hi Ange!
wavesmile.gif

I like to use Pinpointtravel (now Kayak) and Farecast (now Bing) as my starting point. If my dates are flexible, I run it through Travelocity. I also usually check the individual airlines, Expedia and Orbitz, although I have been less successful with Orbitz. Typically, I start looking well before I’d need to book, so unless it’s a fantastic fare, I sign up for the farecast alerts through Bing, and I watch the fares through email. I also keep checking the sites from time to time.

I once read advice from one of the travel gurus—I think it was Peter Greenberg—that you shouldn’t book a flight on the weekend because of the way the fare cycle goes. Most of the experts seem to agree that you should look for deals on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

I think it’s still true that mid-week travel is usually the cheapest way to go.

If I’m booking a hotel, I always check Travelocity.com (Edited to correct: I meant Tripadvisor.com, not Travelocity) first for reviews and recommendations through the user forums. I have found some very affordable, hidden gems that are not advertised on the major booking sites.

Good luck! Hope you're goin' someplace spectacular!

Cathy

Last edited:
I usually find better prices a month or two in advance. If I'm more flexible with travel times and dates, I can save more money. I check the prices for different departing/returning flights for every day that will work for my schedule.

When I booked my flight to Thailand this week, I got a better price for a return flight leaving on a Sunday night. Because of the time difference, I will be arriving on a Monday afternoon. I probably would have gotten an even better price had I not wanted to arrive at my destination on the same evening as my mother.

Best of wishes! Have fun!
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.