What's up with girl's underwear?

Katerchen

Cathlete
Have you noticed that they are selling satin, lacy underwear in pre-teen sizes?

Here we have a country that is 'officially' very prude (no sex education, no kissing in public pools, calling scenes in Van Helsing 'sexual', prohibiting sex toys (Alabama) etc.) but it's ok to have underwear for little girls that is sexier than mine? And what's the deal with PADDED training-bras? And some of the nighties out there are closer to lingerie than nighties!

I haven't seen any of this stuff. It's most unwelcome. Let's keep our kids as kids, I say.

Where are you shopping?

I go straight to Lands End Overstocks, selling kids' clothes for real kids, and get the best cotton underwear for my girls at half the price at the end of each season.

I rarely take them to the mall, they have no interest in underwear shopping and Victoria's Secret embarrasses them!! I went there last week to get some stuff for "me," for my husband's 40th birthday, and they were both so embarrased they refused to stand with me.

I reckon they are safe from the lacy stuff for a while yet!

Clare ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

I have not looked for it for my daughter but I saw something that really disgusted me to all ends, In Wal-Mart was a 12 year old girl shopping with her mother and she was wearing the normal hip hugger jeans but was aweful was she had her Thong underwear pulled up so high, ( three inches or more) over the top of her jeans. I think girls are way to young to be showing off their underwear in public.

I have a 17 year old who is a modest dresser. I've told her that, right or wrong, people form their first impression on how we look. I told her that I didn't want (and I know she doesn't want) people to form the wrong impression about her by her attire. What's really wrong is that the mother of the 12 year old you saw in WalMart is failing to teach her daughter the same. Some mom's just don't care. How sad....

It was in WALMART!!!! I am so angry with that superstore.

But I've also seen the same kind of stuff at the mall, McRae's I think. Kid's grow up fast enough, we don't have to make them older than they are.

In the UK there are some stores that sell thongs and g-strings for pre-teens - I think it's disgusting and totally unnecessary personally. I recall that there was a bit of an outrage at the time and some stores did withdraw these clothing lines at the request of concerned parents and children's welfare groups, but not all stores withdrew them.

Mind you, the UK is also a place where you can see topless women in some of the national newspapers, the f-word frequently used on regular tv channels after 9pm and "previews" of some of the adult satellite channels that you can't block your kids from watching if they happen to be surfing with the remote control after 8pm or 9pm!

Josie

>I have not looked for it for my daughter but I saw something
>that really disgusted me to all ends, In Wal-Mart was a 12
>year old girl shopping with her mother and she was wearing the
>normal hip hugger jeans but was aweful was she had her Thong
>underwear pulled up so high, ( three inches or more) over the
>top of her jeans. I think girls are way to young to be showing
>off their underwear in public.

That's just gross! x(

Katerchan: I don't know if you have kids, but to call our culture officially "prude" is quite shocking to me. There is very little that I would consider "prude" and actually a better word would be "modest."

Sorry, but I have to constantly censor the antics of Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, the Olsen twins, etc., who are aiming right at my 9 year old girl. Check out the tv channels aimed at kids, namely Disney and Nickelodeon, if you doubt me.

Yes, many parents think I am foolish and naive to want to defend my children's innocence. The only rebuttal I have is that they only have 10-12 years to be innocent (actually, I am aiming for more like 18-20) and the whole rest of their lives to be depraved like the rest of us. I usually say that with a smile, because it is not meant to start a flame war. It saddens me to see our culture no longer values childhood innocence.

Plus, as a public service, you will never see any of my kids (both boys and girl) out in public with their underwear hanging out;-) !

This is something I have personally complained about for years...this isn't something that has just hit the store hangers. Wait until you find thongs for little girls...that pretty much floored me. We did manage to get Calvin Klein to stop using scrawny girls in scrawnier underpants in their advertising but the 'problem' has far from gone away. Look at all the hip-hugger pants and shorts made in size 5 and 6x...who really puts these clothes on their young daughter's is what I'd like to know...but yet you see 6 and 7 year old girls wearing hig-hugger jeans with a belly shirt or worse...a belly halter top and they look like little hookers.

We have enough child molester's in this world...we don't need to feed their mentality by dressing young girls to fit their fantasy's. It is disgusting and just plain outrageous.

I called America prude because they don't even show all of the statues of Michael Angelo on the History Channel - they blurr the private parts out. But then at the same time you can turn on a channel where there is esplicit violence at 5 pm. Could you imagine a water fountain in a public market square which has a little boy (statue) pee? Women get in trouble because they breastfeed in public but it's o.k. to have little girls dress like hookers? My daughter is tall for her age so I am able to buy her clothes in the adult Petite section which is a lot more modest than the Junior section.

America wants to believe that Teenagers do not have sex - just don't do it is NOT a message I want my daughter to rely on. I'd have to do the formal sex education, STD, Pregnancies, Birthcontrol etc. myself. But boys are a lot more tempted to have sex with girls that are dressed seductively.

I have two kids, a girl and a boy. I don't let them watch any Britney Spears or similar shows. They do watch Nickeloden and I hate the Amanda Show.

Again, I live in the South, it might be different in the Northern States, but here we get special editions of Math, Biology books etc. and if your State allows sex education or the evolution it's great.

walmart is bad anyway- they come into a town and drive all the mom and pop businesses away. we should all stop going- i never go. i'd rather pay a little more somewhere else and keep jobs and the cool locally owned shops in businness

Luxx:

Kudos to you. I totally stand by your political and economic boycott of Walmart. I have been doing the same for the last 8 years.

And I was so gratified to see them lose the recent lawsuits filed against them by their female employees whom they have outrageously discriminated against for years.

An additional reason for a political boyccott of this company if ever you needed one.

Serves them bl**dy right!

Clare

My first impression of Walmart was 1989. They had commercials running all the time with Barbara Mandrell pointing out that Walmart means "Made in the USA". Back then there were signs in the stores everywhere, especially for the clothes "Made in the USA" and I thought it was great that they supported their own nation like that.

Well, now we have it 15 years later and there is hardly anything made in the US anymore, especially the clothes. If Walmart would have kept buying their clothes in the USA there wouldn't have been all those factory closures. They were and are big enough that they could have made a difference but this is not how it goes.

I don't buy much from Walmart, mainly dog food because they have the only kind my dogs eat (dinner rounds). I like to support the little stores in our community and it's not always easy to do because Walmart already closed a lot of them. Hence, Walmart has a better fabric department than Hancock Fabrics which is probably the next store to go.

I knew it!! Walmart is trying to bring America down! Knew I'd find the answer!
I buy where I can get the best bang for my buck quality - wise. If it's Walmart, so be it. If it's Mom and Pop, so be it. It's called free market economy.
If the Deutsch Bank is correct in its predictions, we'll be paying 100 dollars for a barrel of oil someday soon. That's 5 dollars for a gallon of gas in the US people. And I bet then you won't be as willing to pay more for alot of your other items.
T.

I guess that I go to Walmart because of time constraints - I can get clothing, toiletries, and other essentials in one spot. There aren't any Wal-Mart Superstores near me - the lobby from the supermarkets was too great. Also, many of the local stores that I would shop are CVS and other chains. There is a huge Mills mall in my town, and it has attracted a lot of chain stores. There is a small historic town that caters to tourists that has mom and pop places, but they are priced for tourists.

I have a big problem with "sexy" underwear for kids. My friend's 10 year old wears lacey bras and panties (matching sets), and make-up! My friend says that letting her do that keeps her quiet. I say that the parent should be the parent. I think that she should buy much more modest underwear. And she is concerned about her daughter's interest in boys!!

As usual, you are barking up the wrong tree. I agree petrol (gas) should be way more expensive over here than it is. Here it is immorally cheap. I am European and I loathe US gas guzzling, particularly of SUVs.

Clare

Clare- don't understand where you are coming from. I never said gas should be more expensive for the UK. My point is that if we see major increases in gas prices here in the US I suspect the people who said they'd be willing to pay more for goods if they had to in order to avoid stores like WalMart may find themselves re-thinking that strategy to suit their individual budgets. Just my opinion.
While I am at it I may as well go O.T.:
Do Europeans really loathe the US for as many things as it seems they do? It's my opinion the rest of the world should be pretty thankful the US is around when the going gets tough. And if gas hits 5 bucks a gallon, effectively wrecking our economy, I would think the UK would be very concerned because you all would go down with us.
Also perhaps you should be more pissed at Singapore. They are the top oil consuming country per capita in the world. The US is fourth.
Source = nationmaster.com
T.

America's biggest problem is it's arrogance. Have you read about the media leak, if you haven't, I've attached the link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-08-10-pakistan-intel_x.htm

I feel very fortunate to have been born an American and very happy to call America home....but we are not perfect. What about the American soldiers who took those abusive sex pictures of themselves with the Iraqi prisoners a couple of months ago? What kind of picture does that paint of Americans? If we continue to think we are perfect, we won't think we have things to fix.

And to ask questions about Europeans loathing Americans just perpetuates a hateful attitude.

It's not hateful Candi. I asked a simple question about Europeans loathing Americans. I was wondering because it seems like alot of the world loathes us, so I asked Clare. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think I am spreading hate by asking a question.
You are right, we are not perfect. I found the pics and behavior to be quite bad. However, not as bad as having your head cut off, like a few Americans, and other nationalities, have had happen to them. I don't see too many people upset about that. We just seem to accentuate the prison pics when other worse things are going on, like beheadings for instance. Perhaps the media needs to shows those pics as well?
Anyway we are getting way off topic...
T.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.