Whatcha Got Cooking For Turkey Day??

tneah

Cathlete
What is everyone cooking (or not) for Thanksgiving this year? I love this holiday!:9 Even though I am trying to "melt" some "love chunk" bodyfat right now *waves to the 10-pound melters*:7 I have got turkey and gravy on the brain. I have been eating far too much broccoli lately!

Every year my DH cooks a 30 pound turkey. I make that stuffing right out of the box-I do use homemade chicken broth though, and the gray is homemade,so don't be too hard on me! We have those gross jellied and whole Ocean Spray cranberry sauces mixed together, and my DH's favorite-sweet potatoes.

Are you ready for this? I bake them, then mash in a stick of butter, a can of marshmallow fluff, spices and a little cream, and then smear this lo-cal mixture into a pan and cover with little marshmallows.:eek: Last year I caught this dish on fire under the broiler!:7 Actually it really wasn't funny until afterwards....my stepdaughter is from the south and makes an interesting casserole that involves lots of mayo and Ritz crackers. Oh and then I try and cook a veggie to make the meal "healthy", which no one eats of course. Then there are the white, squishy rolls with butter, followed by both pecan and pumpkin pies.

What are you all cooking? :9

LMBO @ "melting" some "love chunk" bodyfat !!!!!!

tneah, I have a SIMPLE and YUMMY cranberry sauce recipe that uses real cranberries, let me know if you want it!

I am traveling to Greensboro, NC to have dinner with my father and stepmother. My mom, brother, sister-in-law, all three stepbrothers, their spouses and kids, etc. I think it's about 20 people!

My stepmother has this amazing kitchen, so I told her I would cook whatever she wanted me to!

Not sure what I will contribute to the feast just yet!

I am worried about my inability to work out that day, though. I think I am going to get up early and go for a run (I am NOT a runner). Then I won't feel (as) bad about what I eat!

I'm working Thanksgiving day, so a good friend is cooking the turkey. I'm in charge of dessert - apple pie, pecan pie and pumpkin roll. Oh, and cranberry bread to go with dinner.

We're having Thanksgiving this Sunday so the whole family can be together (various SO's and other places to be). I'll cook a turkey (brined and soaked in Apple Juice - yum!) stuffed with a family recipe for sausage stuffing. I'll add sweet potatoes, browned rice, green beans, and cresent rolls.

Then, on Thanksgiving we'll go to a friend's house and have another huge meal. Oh joy... :p

Katie - I'd love your recipe for cranberries!

I just made my menu yesterday, going shopping today.:)

Turkey- 25lb. we like leftovers, then I make a stuffing to go in the bird. Then an apple sausage stuffing. Sweet potatoes- I have a recipe that uses pineapple in it, with brown sugar and very little butter. Turkey gravy, mashed potatos, deviled eggs, green beans, steamed brussels sprouts, whole wheat yeast rolls. And of course pies- apple, pumpkin and chocolate lush.

I can taste it already:p

Oh, I'm so jealous of all of you who are having "traditional" Thanksgivings. This year my entire family is going to my Grandfather's Country Club. Yep. We're going to a RESTAURANT. I'm so sad.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a fun, warm, drawn out holiday where you wear comfy clothes and hang out at someone's house and they kids all play. Not a holiday where you eat and run and have to get dressed up. Plus, I used to waitress at restaurants on Thanksgiving and was always so bitter about having to serve people who should be home cooking!!! I don't know. The whole holiday has gone down the tubes this year for me. And get this--my SO's family is doing the same thing at different country club at the same time as mine!!!!!!!! UGH! So we're splitting up to eat and then I'll go to his parent's house. This just sucks. My grandmother is in a nursing home and so my grandfather always comes to my parent's house for holidays and this year he wanted to have us to his Country Club to kind of "pay my parents back" for all the meals they've had him to. It's really nice of him, but it still is sad to me.

Allison
1.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Hey Allison- Sorry about your Thanksgiving. Maybe next year you could volunteer to cook/host? Just a suggestion. :)

We are having a non-traditional Thanksgiving. It's only going to be about 7 of us..my family, one family friend and a woman that works with my sister and has no family here. We are having all appetizers. My favorite is Charleston Cheese. It has mayo, cream cheese and cheddar cheese but it's all melted in the oven. It sounds really gross but it's fantastic! I'm not a big mayo or cream cheese fan but somehow it all works. I'm not sure what else is on the menu but there is no turkey, stuffing, etc. I'm not a big turkey eater and this is the first holiday without my aunt (who passed away in July) so I'm sure we will all be a little sad.

I probably won't workout on Thanksgiving but I have a fun workout planned for the next day...it involves kettlebells and about 110 burpees. Yikes!!

Oh, Allison, I'm sad for your restaurant Turkey Day.

I firmly believe in doing it at home, in pajamas as long as possible until you change into your Elastic Waist Pants For the Feasting.

Can you do up a little mini-meal of your own at home on a different day of the weekend?

I'm cooking at the BF's this year and the plan isn't settled yet. Trying to remain calm!

We'll have turkey 18 pounds probably, classic bread stuffing in the bird with some baked separately, butternut squash, green beans, my BF's to-die-for mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce (I'm making some for the first time this year and I also got a can in case mine sucks), various pies, couple bottles of nice vino.

Hoping for plenty of leftovers!

Tofu and Brussels Sprouts - just kidding!!

We'll have a turkey with pear and chestnut stuffing baked separately, garlic mashed potatoes, cranberry-orange sauce, sweet potatoes, green beans, salad and pumpkin spice bread. Apple pie with homemade vanilla icecream.

Getting out the elastic Waist Pants already, maybe I should buy a larger size just in case x(

>Oh, Allison, I'm sad for your restaurant Turkey Day.
>
>I firmly believe in doing it at home, in pajamas as long as
>possible until you change into your Elastic Waist Pants For
>the Feasting.
>
>Can you do up a little mini-meal of your own at home on a
>different day of the weekend?
>

I firmly believe in the jammies/elastic waist pants too!!!

My sisters and I have planned to do a Thanksgiving like that on Saturday (two days after Thanksgiving). The whole family will come, the kids can run around and play, there'll be lots of homemade food, and you can bet your arse I'll be in my pajamas!!!! :)

Allison
1.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

Katie,

Thanks so much, your cranberries sound yummy, but my DH actually LOVES those Ocean Spray "cranberries". Its the same with my famous "fluff" sweet potatoes, it wouldn't be Thanksgiving for him without his two faves!:)

I love turning on the Thanksgiving Macy's parade as soon as I get up! Then, I bought the boxed set of Mr.Bean to watch after dinner, the one that you all were talking about with the Christmas episode:D

Ahhh, I can smell the cooking already!

All the traditional fattening good stuff. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, pie oh and green beans:9 We were supposed to have about 15 of my DH's family here to spend the weekend but different medical emergencies and my BIL who is a pilot got called to work. So we will be alone:-( But that is OK. I can cook in my PJ's and relax. My kids will help cook and then DH cleans up:7

I am going to St. Louis to have Thanksgiving with my friend's daughter and in-laws.

I will be too self conscious to eat a lot.

;-)

I'm on the opposite side of those who love Thanksgiving at home or at relatives. DH and I don't have relatives in the area, and we usually try a new restaurant every holiday - this year we are going to a restaurant in L.A. that we've always wanted to try - their Thanksgiving menu looks amazing to me. So we just roll out of bed whenever, hang out, put on something nice, go and eat a wonderful meal, come home and Netflix. No shopping, no planning, no cooking, no dishes, no grease in the kitchen, no quibbling or one-too-many-cocktail guests. It's my idea of heaven! About 20 years ago when we were first married we did cook the whole meal and often had guests, or sometimes went to friends' houses or flew back east to visit relatives, but just now I'm really enjoying having no responsibilities and no obligations :)

My Thanksgiving this year will be a Vacation Day instead of a Holiday. A friend of mine and I are going to the movies out by her house. It's a lot cheaper except for the popcorn. I will workout Wed. night, go the movies on Thurs., and workout again on Thurs night or just workout Thurs AM..depending on work.
For turkey, it will be a smaller portion and somewhat healthier.
My family is all out of town and I must work on Friday. My sister in law every year invites me to her parents, that live two hours away and I always say "No thank you".

Yes, I love Holidays like this.

I love reading what ya'll are gonna eat!

Okay here's the menu:

appetizers--haven't decided

turkey
mashed potatoes
regular stuffing
oyster stuffing
sweet potatoes and baked apples layered with butter, sugar and spices
cranberry ambrosia
green salad with walnuts, mandarin oranges, craisins, and rasberry vinaigrette
cranberry/orange sauce made with fresh cranberries
rolls and butter

Desserts!
pumpkin pie
apple pie-I don't want this because it's too "everyday", but DH insists
cranberry/walnut pie
something chocolate--haven't decided, but no holiday meal is complete without a chocolate dessert
sugar cookies shaped like fall leaves and decorated with royal icing-this is fun and easy to do.

See my two main hobbies are food and working out. I can't fully enjoy the one because I can't fully enjoy the results of the other. Why me?

and now I'm off to recipezaar and epicurious for appetizer and chocolate dessert ideas

Maggie:9 :9 :9

We are vegetarian and adore Indian food so I always make a selction of vegetarian Indian dishes for all festive days. Since we are British and Thanksgiving has little traditional meaning for us, I expect we will have "business-as-usual" food for this occasion! Lentil soup, yoghurt, chocolate, toast, chocolate, fruit, jacket spuds, chocolate....:7

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.