What are you buying for summer???

Spinin28

Cathlete
What are your summer staple clothes for this season??

Edited to add:

How much do you spend on clothing in the spring?? How often do you buy new clothes, not including workout clothes.

:)

I don't buy clothes. I'm useless at shopping. I have no idea what I'll do when the ones I have wear out or go completely out of style.:(

I know what you mean...I have so much old stuff laying around..I am so OUT of fashion!!! I am so bad about wearing sweats, and pink tops. I am just not a person that can pick out an outfit and look great...I am always missing some key element.

I am a fashion mishap! I need Stacy and Clinton from "What not to wear"..LOL!!!

if a store I was shopping at had a stylist on staff that could help me, I would buy a lot more clothes.

Not to mention that trying on clothes is kind of depressing if you have gained any weight. Or you fit into a larger size...

I am going shopping tomorrow. Another bikini, shorts, dress, shoes, etc. I go to an outlet store. I can find high fashion name brands there for $1 or more. I don't like to pay full price.

Tank tops!!!! I am a tank top junkie!!! I used to work for J Crew and while I had that discount I bought every color tank top known to man!!! You can layer them, put them under a jacket, wear them with a skirt...I'm getting all misty eyed just thinking about it!

>Tank tops!!!! I am a tank top junkie!!! I used to work for J
>Crew and while I had that discount I bought every color tank
>top known to man!!! You can layer them, put them under a
>jacket, wear them with a skirt...I'm getting all misty eyed
>just thinking about it!

I did buy 2 tank tops with beads from Old Navy last year..I do wear them with a lot of things.

I like that longer tops are coming back into style, I hate my belly sticking out, makes me feel fat! It just makes me uncomfortable!

Hey, you might have the store where you live....Gabriel Brother's. Some of the stuff is damaged, but some isn't. I always go to the racks in the back of the store where everything is marked down $1.00-$6.00, etc. You have to ask them too when the day is that they start marking down the stuff because as soon as it gets marked down, it doesn't stay around long as you may guess. If you know the day, then you get there first thing and go WILD!

Another good choice for tops is t-shirts from the Gap. They last FOREVER (seriously, they have loads of spandex so they retain the shape without being uber-form fitting) and you can get them in a bunch of colors.

The best-fitting shorts I've ever found are Tommy Hilfiger. You have to watch the lengths, though, as he markets to little girls who like their butt cheeks to hang out, lol. :)

Marie

Shopping for ready-to-wear is one of the most difficult tasks in the world if you ask me. Few people know what really looks good on them and what really flatters their shape and coloring. But when you do, it's even harder.

Shopping casually when you don't really need anything is fine, but if you wait until you really need stuff, it is SOO hard.

Mandarin collars may be all the rage, but I have learned that they are one of the worst necklines I can wear, so I have to pass them up. Most tops are crew-necks, but crew necks make me look matronly. I have to steer clear of beiges and pastels, which is a very difficult thing to do in the spring.

Someday, when I'm wealthy enough, I'm going to have a tailor who makes clothes just for me, and stop wasting hours and hours trying to make a wardrobe out of ready-to-wear. x(

But until then, see ya in the fitting room!

-Nancy

Charlotte, we should all send you lists and you can go on a Catheite shopping spree! :p

In the summer I pretty much live in low-rise cut-off jeans, tank tops and/or vintage tees and flip flops. Gotta have my flip flops. For dressier days I do anything linen.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I really like clothes from Aeropostale. It seems like a little kid store, but as long as you don't buy anything with a monkey on it, you are okay. The reason I like this store is becuase they sell the same types of clothes as Hollister and Abercrombie. I love these stores, but they are too expensive. Aeropostale is much cheaper with better quality. I also like American Eagle. If you wait until June or so, you can get some really good sales at AE. Oh, and hollister clothes fall apart pretty quickly.

As for what types of clothes, I want some new demin, khaki, and sweat capris. I want some silver, flat, flip flops. I already bought nike flip flips, which I love!!! I try to keep my style simple...cute shorts, plain tops, cute belt, and flip flops.

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

>I really like clothes from Aeropostale. It seems like a
>little kid store, but as long as you don't buy anything with a
>monkey on it, you are okay. The reason I like this store is
>becuase they sell the same types of clothes as Hollister and
>Abercrombie. I love these stores, but they are too expensive.
>Aeropostale is much cheaper with better quality. I also like
>American Eagle. If you wait until June or so, you can get some
>really good sales at AE. Oh, and hollister clothes fall apart
>pretty quickly.
>As for what types of clothes, I want some new demin, khaki,
>and sweat capris. I want some silver, flat, flip flops. I
>already bought nike flip flips, which I love!!! I try to keep
>my style simple...cute shorts, plain tops, cute belt, and flip
>flops.
>Sara
>http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

Sara,

Yes, Aeropostale is one of my favorite stores!!! I bought a great fitting pair of jeans and some super cute khaki pants. I have a a horrible tendency to buy ultra casual clothing "lounge wear" and then I have nothing to wear "Out"

Are the roll up button on the leg pants still in style this year????

*SIGH*

I have never enjoyed shopping for summer clothes. Am I the only person in the world that finds shorts to be the MOST uncomfortable piece of apparel? I think they're fine as long as you don't sit down. I don't care what the size, they always ride up on me and I HATE that. I've tried buying them a couple sizes too large and having them altered but that just annoys me. I don't care for short shorts and I can never find them long enough.

I think the quality of summer clothes is poor across the board. Most of my summer things are so fadded by the end of the season and they tend to lose their shape after a few washings. I buy a lot of Jones New York and Ralph Lauren and I expect them to hold up better than that. I wash them in cold water and lay them flat to dry so I expect them to last for a couple of summers at least.

*SIGH*

Michele

It's worse when you have to go to the office! We have "rules" about what you can wear, including the lengths of sleeves and such (besides, it's just good taste, you should see some of the stuff the younger set shows up in - I call those "anti-promotional clothes," lol). Everything in summer is LINEN which might look beautiful until it's been on your body for two minutes, after which it is a wrinkled mess. Like Michele pointed out, most stuff looks like crap after you wash it a few times, which convinces me that manufacturers don't try too hard for this season.

Last year I was dependent on dressier capri-style pants which tend to work well, for the most part, but they get tiring. I love wrap dresses but they tend to have a very high waist for some reason and it's hard to find ones that look flattering.

And I am with Nancy on the "in-style" collar lines. I can't wear crew necks at all and the bohemian craze is, I think, very wearing and I hope ends soon!

Style? What is this word, style? I pretty much live in jeans or denim shorts and tee shirts or tank tops in the summer. Capris or crop slacks if dressier is called for. I have a couple long, jersey "sun-dresses" I found a Kmart about 10 years ago that I still get compliments on. Flip flops, tevas or running shoes for footwear. I dislike shopping too. Especially for something specific. As has been discussed before, you have to sneak up on clothing. You'll never find what you want otherwise.

>It's worse when you have to go to the office! We have "rules"
>about what you can wear, including the lengths of sleeves and
>such (besides, it's just good taste, you should see some of
>the stuff the younger set shows up in - I call those
>"anti-promotional clothes," lol). Everything in summer is
>LINEN which might look beautiful until it's been on your body
>for two minutes, after which it is a wrinkled mess. Like
>Michele pointed out, most stuff looks like crap after you wash
>it a few times, which convinces me that manufacturers don't
>try too hard for this season.
>
>Last year I was dependent on dressier capri-style pants which
>tend to work well, for the most part, but they get tiring. I
>love wrap dresses but they tend to have a very high waist for
>some reason and it's hard to find ones that look flattering.
>
>And I am with Nancy on the "in-style" collar lines. I can't
>wear crew necks at all and the bohemian craze is, I think,
>very wearing and I hope ends soon!

I just have a hard time dealing with rules like that! I am going to work for my hubby to help with some sales next month and I can wear what I want, but everyone else can't. LOL! I will be modest though, but I am definitely wearing my jeans.

Michele, I agree with you, which is why I have the fall back position of tshirts and tanks and flip flops! :)

In response to the additional questions, I spend as little as possible on clothes and like to shop discount and second-hand. As long as the clothes are neat and clean, I can't see paying full price. Besides, the clothes I really like, such as Sundance and J. Jill, etc. tend to be beyond my price range at this point, so I try to keep it simple and go with a more classic style that I don't have to change every season.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Feminine, "springy" tops like the ones at The Limited & Express. I also like classic clothing at the Gap. I'll probably get a few shorts & another pair of flip flops for the season. I am so ready for spring clothing. BRING IT ON!!!!!

One store I really like is Ann Taylor Loft. If I want to get something trendy that may not be in style next year (so don't want to spend a lot on it) but would be cute to go out and meet people (something other than just jeans and a tank top) I go there. Everything fits pretty well and is really well priced. I am also style challenged, so I like to look at their website where they have whole outfits put together already.

http://www.anntaylorloft.com/atlShowCategory.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=15

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.