What is with my back?

naughtoj

Cathlete
Lately, my back has gotten significantly tighter. I wake up in the am with my back feeling "stuck" in various parts. When I wake up I have to tilt my head and upper back to the side to "pop" all the vertebrae back into place. You can hear all this cracking. It is really gross. It is the first thing I am aware of in the morning when I wake up. The stiffness and tightness remains, getting looser after a few hours, but if I get upset later in the day my back starts to ache in my old problem area.

I know back issue can be stress related and I do have enough of that lately, lol. Also, I have mild scoliosis. But is it normal to have suck tightness and stifness om the AM to the extent that you feel like if you move wrong you are going to pull/break something? I am only 29 years old!!! I wonder if I should go to the doc and get an MRI or something??? Anyone else have this? I have asked my friends and none seem to sympathize. I seem to young for this???.............

Thanks!!

Hmmmm....Janice, your post is very interesting! I've been having the same problems for the past six months. It started in my upper back, and now has migrated to my lower back and even my neck. I've exercised, stretched, sat in the jacuzzi etc. It will feel better as the day goes on, but then I go to bed, have a terrible nights sleep and I'll wake up with it just as bad as before. I've been baffled by it, trying all the de-stressing techniques I could think of without success. I'll be glad to hear if anyone has any experience with this and was able to get rid of it. Like you said, we are WAY too young to feel like this!

I have been thinking though that maybe we just need a new mattress. Recently my husband has been starting to have some of the same complaints with his back and not sleeping. Has anyone found this to be the case? I'm guessing our bed is just too soft? I've never had back problems before so it just seems so strange.

Hopefully Janice someone will help us

:) Nicole

Very timely, as I too have had upper body "kinks" lately. They've been getting better but I've decided that for 2006, I will start incorporating yoga into my rotations. I did Bryan Kest's beginner power yoga video yesterday and it was heavenly!. Another thing is my hamstrings feel way too tight and I know that will cause discomfort in the back too so I'm going to focus on lots of "downward dog" stretches, etc.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.