What is Hummus???

Is this like rice? Is it good? How do you cook it?

I really need help with my eating. I have to confess I am a BAD BAD eater. Every morning I tell myself I'm going to eat healthy, but it doesn't happen. I plan to go to the health food store (which is across town) next week. I need help with my grocery list and meal ideas.

Thanks,
Shirley

It's a mixture of chick peas, tahini, a little olive oil and lemon juice adding spices that you like. I love adding sour cream (but you don't want the calories do you). I sometimes add garlic, chillies, onion, grated cheese, it depends on what's in the house. I throw all ingredients in my blender and it's ready to eat in under 5 minutes.

You can use it as a dip with veggies to nibble on, or as a spread on a sandwhich or as a side dish with tortilla's instead of guacamole.

You can use all sorts of beans to make a hummus, but originally I think it's supposed to be chick peas.

Dutchie:)

I eat Hummus almost everyday! I buy it already made from the supermarket. It's usually in the international section. I think you can buy it in health stores too. The one that I get is mixed with chick peas,pine nuts,olive oil and hot sauce. I usually use it as a spread or dip veggies in it.

Aila:)

Do they make hummus without tons of garlic? I breathe that stuff for days! Guess I should make mine own without the garlic.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

HI Debbie,

I guess it depends on the brand. I buy the brand called "Sabra". It is an Israeli brand. They have all different kinds of flavors. My BIL is greek and his mom puts so much garlic in hers! I can't eat it with too much garlic. The one I buy at the store is nothing like that. I am sure you can find one to fit your taste buds.

HTH
Aila

edited for typos

Thanks Aila! I love garlic...people just don't like me after I have eaten it! ;-) My MIL POURS it on everything to the point of almost stomach upset! Whew! I'll keep looking for one to "fit" my needs.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hummus is wonderful!!!!! Roll it up in a whole-wheat tortilla with veggies and you have a yummy lunch.

So, basically, there are few calories in Hummus...am I correct?
I may get some next week and try it out.

Thank you everyone.

Shirley

Hummus is a blend of pureed chickpeas, lemon, sesame tahini, oil, and spices with added flavors such as roasted garlic, roasted red peppers, scallion and dill. It's great as a dip for fresh vegetables or my favorite ~ salty crackers. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches.It contains no saturated fat, no cholesterol or sugars and is high in protein and fiber.
Susan C.M.

The calories in hummus come mostly from the tahini (about 80% fat). You can easily make your own hummus by mashing up some canned garbanzo beans, adding some lemon juice, garlic powder (if you want), and tahini (if you want). Parsley is also often added. You can make it lower fat by saving some of the bean liquid and using that instead of all or some of the tahini to make it smoother. There are probably some good hummus recipes at www.vegsource.com . or maybe that's www.vegsource.org ?

In addition to what others have posted, I also add a couple of tablespoons of flaxseed oil into my hummus!

I eat hummous A LOT! Usually I put it on a spinach or whole wheat lavash with tons of greens, fresh cilantro, green onion, cucumber ... whatever I'm in the mood for.

I love the roasted red pepper variety. It's so yummy!

Marla G.

I threwout the mayo !!! And we use hummus instead. My boys pitched a fit at first but Now thanks to Hummus we are a Mayo free houshold LOL Its yummy comes in differant flavors .. I gotta get a homemade reciepe fromm my hubby .... Will post it when I remember to get it !! Remind me ladies !!!:) :) :) :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.