What to eat with Cottage Cheese

lcsavik

Cathlete
Ok so I'm doing pretty good with clean eating but I just can't stomach cottage cheese by itself. Any ideas? How do you eat your cottage cheese?
This morning I mixed it with eggs and oat meal and made "protein pancakes". I still noticed the cottage cheese.

Why do you have to eat cottage cheese if you don't like it?

I like cottage cheese as a snack with Tomato triscuits, but I like cottage cheese. Sometimes. Right now, I'm not fond of it. So I just don't eat it.

April

I don't like the taste of most of the brands of cottage cheese, the only one I eat is Horizon Reduced Fat. You may want to try different brands until you find one that you like. I think there are huge differences in taste.

I eat cottage cheese with tomatoes, green onion, a little bit of herb salt and whole wheat toast. Or with fruit, persimmons and kiwi are my favorites with cottage cheese.

I like my cottage cheese more on the sweet side. I add a small dollop of jam and mix it in. Yum.

I also mix cooked oatmeal and cottage cheese together, which I learned about on one of these fitness boards. It's hard for me to eat oatmeal any other way now (and as far as nutrition for breakfast, it's hard to beat!)

Kristy

I agree about the different brands. Some are creamy and rich and others are watery. I like it with fruit or by itself with just salt and pepper, but then I like buttermilk.

Strawberries, blueberries, a dollop of fat free cool whip, a packet of splenda, some cinnamin and maybe some nuts!!

The cool whip just makes it that more creamy. Num!!!

Can I just say that I eat it w/ everything?? I love it mixed in my oatmeal (1/2 c. cott. cheese & 1/2 scoop cinnamon roll protein powder, to die for!)

I like it mixed w/ yogurt or berries. I add it to my chili instead of sour cream (ok, that one might sound yucky but it's still good!). Protein pancakes are my favorite!! Yum! Did you blend it up in a mixer first?? That really makes them like real pancakes.

But the wierd thing is I won't eat it plain either.

Like many here, I love cottage cheese mixed with fruit. Lately I've been eating a new product called Cottage Cheese Combos. They're individual servings of almost-no-fat cottage cheese and sweetened fruit on the bottom. You know, like yogurt, but with cottage cheese instead. There's 15g of protein in one 5oz (150g) serving, and only 130 calories. Makes a great snack along with an apple or healthy crackers.

Sandra

I definitely prefer the Breakstone 2% cottage cheese. It's not as watery as some others in MHO.

One way to eat it is mix it with some cinnamon and Splenda ( or whatever sweetener you like) and either scoop it with apple slices or on apple Cinnamon Soy Crisps.

BTW, I have never eaten it mixed with Oatmeal and Cinnamon Bun protein powder, but that's going to be breakfast tomorrow! Great idea. Oh, and those protein pancakes with cottage cheese are my new obsession.

I don't like plain cottage cheese but I do mix it with my yogurt (Blue Bunny's Light Superfruit yogurt is my favorite) and it is a really yummy snack.

This is my morning "goop" a YaYa posted the recipe:
.5 cup cottage cheese
.5 cup blueberries
.3 cup oats
6 almonds crushed
cinnamon
splenda

Mix oatmeal cottage cheese and blueberries together. Microwave for about a min or two. Sprinkle in a little cinnamon and splenda, mix. Top with almonds and enjoy!:p :p

I'm all about Breakstone's. I do find that 2% isn't as good as 4%, but that's up to each's taste and what they want to "spend" their fat calories on. My favorite way to eat it, other than just plain, is for lunch or dinner: make either macaroni or no-yolks wide egg noodles, drain and toss with a little Brummel & Brown spread (or whatever you use) and as much cottage cheese as you like, and a little salt/pepper/seasoning, to taste. DELICIOUS!!!! I even it like the cold leftovers the next day. I grew up on this stuff and it makes for a really great, quick and easy dinner.

I can't stomach the consistancy of cottage cheese, but I LOVE my protein pancakes. Here's my recipe that I use:

1 C oats
1 C cottage cheese
6 egg whites
dash of vanilla
dash of cinnamon

Blend it all in a blender, then cook like regular pancakes. I LOVE THESE and I always make a HUGE batch. They freeze well, and to reheat, I pop them in the toaster and YUMMY!

Gayle

I just love it with roasted sweet potatoes or yams, a little salt and pepper. I wish peeling the yams burned more calories though! Maybe I'd eat them more often...

Chocolate chip cookies.

Debbie

"Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice."
-Dave Barry

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.