What to do after ten years of stay at home

beth6395

Cathlete
Ok so I wanted to go to nursing school but my hubbys work is between Florida and Michigan so going to nursing school is not practical right now.

My 3 kids are all in school full time right now so I am trying to figure out what to do with myself. I have always worked in doctors offices before I had kids, just billing and front office. Heres the deal I have to be available to pick up kids if sick, days off and summer. School is the most logical, but something that I could be done with in a years time, this way I am in school when they are but what else. I have put in for volunteering at the school, however, I was kind of hoping if there is someplace I could volunteer that would pay for schooling.

I am in Florida, and I think someone mentioned they were volunteering somewhere and they were paying for emt I really like the medical field and want to go towards that. Any tips you can give me would be so appreciated I feel lost at this point is this common? Can you walk into a hospital and sign up for volunteering.

I also like paralegal and police 911 operator/dispatcher anyone have any info on these fields. I am 38 and thinking age for police or do I need to go to a Police Academy?

Sorry for all the rambling I just want to do something I am going to enjoy We will be in Florida for the winter and back to MI in the summer and this could be for some time. We have an apt here and do they have dual drivers license so I could pay residence fee instead of non-residence. How about any kind of scholarships since I have been at home for so long people keep telling me I should get a degree for next to nothing Is this true or hot air.

Ok well I think that about covers it. Thanks for any advice or input.

Hi Beth! I've been a sahm for the past 10 years too and am contemplating doing something part-time now that my youngest will be in preschool a few days/week. What about substitute teaching? It's not in the medical field, but it works out great with your kids' schedule-you can pick the days you want to work, take off when needed-to be room mom, go on field strips, sick days, etc. and have summers off. And in Michigan, where I live too, you only need 90 college credit hours to sub and they don't have to be in education. Just a suggestion, I'm sure you'll get lots more:)

And in Michigan, where I live too, you only need 90 college credit hours to sub and they don't have to be in education. Just a suggestion, I'm sure you'll get lots more:)

In Alabama, you just need a High School Diploma and pass a background check. You do not have to have any formal teaching training to sub. But we only get $50/day. In addition, the teachers in my county were briefed to not take time off unless absolute necessary because the county has no money. Needless to say, there are not many sub positions right now and most of the open positions go to education majors who work for free.

Have you thought about going through a temp agency? Especially since you are only in Fl through the winter and then will be moving again for the summer season. A temp agency will give you work here and there, they may be day-long assignments or a two month assignment somewhere. It will give you flexibility and you can decide when you want to work, etc. And a lot of temp agencies are nationwide so when you move you still might be able to get work through them at the new location. You can let them know what you have experience with and what you are looking for.

Beth I've been in your shoes. I currently work part time from home for a dental office doing insurance billing and collections. It has allowed me the flexibility of being able to pick up kids, and attend school functions with that said I hate my job and what I do.
I also have thought about being a 911 dispactcher, paralegal, or police officer. With that said, . my brother is a cop SFPD and with all the stories he's told me I've pretty much decided that it is not the job for me. I don't know about your area but law enforcement here requires certain time commitments, . .there are times when my brother has to work from 9pm-7am and he doesn't really have a whole lotta say about it. Luckily he does not have kids so he's flexible with time. Being a 911 operator is the same thing, . . you have to understand that these are 24 hour a day every day operations that are open all the time and if you are like me family and family time is really important. I've also thought about being a parlegal and that is the one job that does sound the most appealing to me but I've heard from some ladies here that say that doing paralegal work is pretty tough stuff, time demanding. At any rate maybe you could take a class here or there at your local community college to see what you want to do. They have certifications now in all the areas of work you are considering. The most important thing would be to remember to enjoy what you do. Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us all posted. :)

Hi Beth. I live in NJ and went to my community college and got an AAS in paralegal studies. However, when I graduated and began looking for a paralegal job I realized that all the law firms wanted you to have a BA degree (in any subject) with just a paralegal cert. Things could be different in Florida I just wanted to share my experiance since I was disappointed I was not able to find work with just an associates degree.

Have you thought about going through a temp agency? Especially since you are only in Fl through the winter and then will be moving again for the summer season. A temp agency will give you work here and there, they may be day-long assignments or a two month assignment somewhere. It will give you flexibility and you can decide when you want to work, etc. And a lot of temp agencies are nationwide so when you move you still might be able to get work through them at the new location. You can let them know what you have experience with and what you are looking for.

I agree about considering a temp agency. I've been in the legal profession since I was 19 (I'm now 44). I quit my job in 1989 when my youngest daughter was born. I stayed home for a while and then about a year later I signed up with several legal temp agencies. My first assignment was a week long assignment with a lawfirm -- after the first week, they offered me a job but I told them I only wanted to be part-time. They agreed to let me work part-time so it worked out great (I eventually went to work fulltime with them and stayed there for 6 years). I quit that job when I had my second child. I again signed up with some agencies and found several jobs where they let me work at home. So you just never know. For the past 12 1/2 years, I've been working for an attorney out of my home. It's worth a shot to sign up with several agencies. It might not work out, but it's worth the time to try and see what happens. Good luck!

If the medical profession interests you, go to the American Red Cross and start getting training. If you don't need the money there are so many volunteer things you can do through the Red Cross and you can do those anywhere - the training transfers. I would start with getting your First Responder training - which is between basic First Aid and an EMT. It's usually a 40 hour class - you can go either during the day or at night, and it will give you an idea of whether or not you would like to get schooled further. With that you can volunteer to work the first aid stands at school events, marathons, cycling events, etc. It's a great way to get out there with others who do what you want to do and get their ideas on how to further your education and land a paying job.

Consider taking the classes on Disaster Training. These are the folks who help those who have things happen like house fires, etc. They also go down to disasters like Hurricane Katrina and make a difference there (I was fast tracked through this training because I did Search and Rescue - I was there at Katrina and I know I made a difference in some people's lives - it's an incredible feeling).

The Red Cross also has paying position, so there is another avenue.

Just some thoughts - if I could, this is what I'd be doing.

Consider taking the classes on Disaster Training. These are the folks who help those who have things happen like house fires, etc. They also go down to disasters like Hurricane Katrina and make a difference there (I was fast tracked through this training because I did Search and Rescue - I was there at Katrina and I know I made a difference in some people's lives - it's an incredible feeling).

This is actually something my mom has done over the last couple of years...she is on call sometimes in the event of a fire or something and has had training that would allow her to go to a major disaster area to help out. She really likes it and finds it extremely rewarding.

Hi Beth. I live in NJ and went to my community college and got an AAS in paralegal studies. However, when I graduated and began looking for a paralegal job I realized that all the law firms wanted you to have a BA degree (in any subject) with just a paralegal cert. Things could be different in Florida I just wanted to share my experiance since I was disappointed I was not able to find work with just an associates degree.

My experience is that the Associates Degree is the new High School Diploma. In some areas of studies it is impossible to find employment with anything lower than a Masters just because there are so many Bachelor Degree Holders out there.

Wow! Thanks to all of you. I completely forgot about Temp agencies.

Red Cross is a good avenue as well and I have heard that an Associates Degree doesn't matter either.

These have been wonderful tips and I am going to get right on these and I will keep you all posted.

my brother is a cop SFPD and with all the stories he's told me I've pretty much decided that it is not the job for me. I don't know about your area but law enforcement here requires certain time commitments, . .there are times when my brother has to work from 9pm-7am and he doesn't really have a whole lotta say about it. Luckily he does not have kids so he's flexible with time. Being a 911 operator is the same thing, . . you have to understand that these are 24 hour a day every day operations that are open all the time and if you are like me family and family time is really important.

This is good information to know Thank you! This will not be a path for me my hubby travels within the state and we do not have anyone to look after kids if I am away this long.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.