What am I doing wrong?

LizC7

Cathlete
Hi Everyone
I workout 5-6 days a week between 40 mins to an hour or slightly longer. I've been using Dasha Libin, Art of Strength Kettlebell workouts, Body Beast twice a week and then something from Cathe (either leg focus or HIIT/cardio of some kind). I'm not losing weight at all. In fact, it seems sometimes I gain. I'm 5'4 and can go up to 130 pounds! I'm a size 2 or 4 depending on the clothes. I'm trying hard to lean/tone but not seeing the results. I never really look at myself and think wow, there's some definition.
Should I be doing more cardio? I thought kettle bells were a serious cardio burn?
I'm eating better than ever - low (not no) carb, healthy carbs, plenty of vegetables and really only splurge once a week and even then not too crazy. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Everyone
I workout 5-6 days a week between 40 mins to an hour or slightly longer. I've been using Dasha Libin, Art of Strength Kettlebell workouts, Body Beast twice a week and then something from Cathe (either leg focus or HIIT/cardio of some kind). I'm not losing weight at all. In fact, it seems sometimes I gain. I'm 5'4 and can go up to 130 pounds! I'm a size 2 or 4 depending on the clothes. I'm trying hard to lean/tone but not seeing the results. I never really look at myself and think wow, there's some definition.
Should I be doing more cardio? I thought kettle bells were a serious cardio burn?
I'm eating better than ever - low (not no) carb, healthy carbs, plenty of vegetables and really only splurge once a week and even then not too crazy. What am I doing wrong?

Liz:

first off, I guess I don't understand why you think a size 2 or 4 is excessive, as you seem to do. They sound excellent to me!

KBs are more like circuit training/metabolic conditioning, rather than strict cardio. Sounds remarkably similar to Dasha's workouts also, from what I have seen online. Then with Body beast, you have even more weights work. So, it could just be that you are busy building way more muscular a torso that you had expected. Everyone's body is different in how they react to different types of workouts. Circuits and metabolic training make me wider/thicker in the torso with more muscle that I was expecting too, so I am cutting down on that type of training and instead increasing regular cardio (step, Imaxes, HiiT, etc) and heavy weights to see what effect that will have. I seems to me that you have a lot of "similar type of training" going on in your regimen at the moment too, so: time to change it up!

Clare

Thanks, Clare

Thank you so much! I guess it's just that number that's bothering me. I'm used to being 115. I don't feel like I'm a lot more muscular but my legs and butt have developed a bit. So if I want to keep the kettlebell workouts, should I add more HIIT training? Is Cathe's shock cardio series a good balance with them?

Wow! Size 2 or 3 and 130? That is lean and muscular!!!
I would love to get there! You are doing something right. I was 103 at a size 2 or 3 when I was younger that was no lifting and I looked kind of sick.
Now I am older and I gained 50 over the years!!! I am trying to lose fat and weight but I have lost a couple sizes so I'm happy with that and I look better then I did a year ago I only lost 13 pounds but I went down two sizes and I can't wait to lose more fat. I may never get to a 2 again but man I'm hoping to have a 5 or 6 become lose! But I'm happy with my definition now and I'm hoping I can get more definition. I'm only 5 foot 1 and I am 143 pounds !! I am in a size 6 and 8 meaning depends on the brand. So you are taller and weigh less and are in smaller cloths so wow you are doing great! I bet you look very good

I might be in the minority, but I prefer myself "heavier," i.e., with more muscle. I can no longer wear size 00 but I look 100% better. Easier to find clothes that fit now, too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.