Wearing spandex? A personal question...

dmlys

Hi guys!

I'm in desperate need of a bit of advice. I started an adult rowing class today and we're required to wear spandex shorts for future sessions (which makes a lot of sense, loose shorts can get stuck in the seat and cause all sorts of havoc). I am not at all comfortable wearing tight clothes, even after getting below my goal weight. To give you an idea how uncomfortable, the spandex shorts I just bought are size XL and I normally wear a slightly loose 8. Yes, the shorts are a bit baggy but I don't feel as "on display". Now, on to my important question: What in the world do I wear under these darn things?!? Do all the normal rules on VPL apply to workout gear? Do I run out and buy Spanx?? The thought of attempting to work out in a thong makes me slightly queasy (and I don't think my rear is all that attractive). I know a lot of you work out in public and I'm sure you must have opinions on what is appropriate... PLEASE help me!!!

Cheers,
Dorie

I always go commando.
Spanx would be very hot and uncomfortable!
You could wear a second. smaller pair of spandex shorts underneath, if they are combined with a wicking fabric and not cotton, which retains moisture.

I usually wear nothing underneath, but on a few ocassions I do wear thongs. I thought I would hate it, but I don't even notice the (oversized)thongs underneath. Luckily, I can wear shorts(loose around the thighs), so most times I wear boy shorts underneath.

I usually wear 2/4's and smalls on top, but I always buy larger sizes. I also don't like the extremely tight look, either.

OK, this post might be a little personal, so consider yourself warned.

I love spandex but personally I hate thongs. They make me feel like I constantly want to pick my butt.

Here's something a little crazy--I read an article a few years ago that actually said spandex helps you slim down for some weird reason like your skin adjusts when it's being compressed. I'm still skeptical, seems a little strange to me.

Anyway, some spandex shorts have that little cotton spot in the crotch (Hot Skins for example), & in that case I'm comfortable going commando. When they don't have anything like that I wear the thongs & suffer.

If going commando means no undies, that's what I wear (don't wear) under my exercise clothes. My mother would absolutely die but that falls within MY comfort zone.

But, on other occasions, I wear thongs. I don't feel them under my clothes at all if I'm not wearing tight ones. I can't stand panty lines....

I *always* wear cotton undies under anything I work out in. I know TMI... but I like to prevent getting a yeast infection at all costs! Maybe get something seamless like another poster mentioned.

When I rowed back in college in the UK (for Cambridge university), we used ike shorts made of a stretchy cotton/lycra fabric because it helped your butt grip the seat to ensure you would not fall from it or lose balance mid stroke, especially when rushing up the slide to begin the next stroke.

I would have thought spandex to be a bad fabric to wear for rowing grip-wise. Spandex is shiny, slippy fabric that does not promote good grip.

See what else you can find, what other materials in the bike shorts. The title 9 shorts look so much better and would erase the question of what to wear underneath. A thong for rowing could be seriously uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend it.

Clare

Thank you SO much for all of the help! I'm a cotton-undies-under-everything kind of gal so going commando (especially in a public workout situation) falls out of my comfort zone. I was afraid that was going to be the answer...
Thank you for the rowing-specific tips, Clare! I suspected that a thong would be especially uncomfortable while sliding but it never occured to me that the shorts need some "grip". And, wow, Jcrew, thank you for all of those links! I think I'm going to run over to Title 9 this morning to try on those shorts--they look absolutely perfect. I KNEW you guys would have the answers!!

I can't imagine a thong could be comfortable! But a lot of women wear them at my gym. I guess the fact that I know that, means they're not as invisible as they're supposed to be.

I'm uninhibited about going commando with fitted shorts or tights. My physique is far from flawless but I really don't think many people are looking at my attire. One doesn't wear underpants with cycling shorts either. Shorts or tights with a breathable gusset (think built-in panty) are best if going commando. They used to be easy to find, now Adidas seems to be one of the few.

Another great resource, besides Title 9, is activasports.com. Some of their fitted shorts have gussets. Activa carrys an Underarmour boy cut under short that looks like it might work or at least it claims to be the thong free choice for no panty lines!

I second the advice about chosing a non-slick fabric. Some bike shorts & tights are a bit too slippery which is quite irritating.

Dorie, some of my friends are rowers. Can't believe what it does for their physiques. Have fun!

Debra

Ahhh...I'm glad someone asked this question :)

I, too, have often wondered what the "appropriate" thing is with regard to tight-fitting shorts/pants. I just do the commando thing since anything else (I can't stand thongs) is very uncomfortable.

Okay...but here comes another slightly personal question...how to prevent the "riding up in the front" thing? You know what I'm talking about, right(hello...toe of camel)? Is it a matter of clothing size (ie, too small and this will happen)? Does it just depend on how the pants are made? Or is it just that some of us women have freakish front areas that tend to grab onto whatever fabric comes near?

Please...educate me here :)

Shonie

As far as I know, there's no way to prevent it. All I can say is I'm pretty sure people are not looking that closely at that particular area--I mean, who would have the nerve to stare at someone's crotch in public?

Hi Shonie,

IMHO, it is mostly a matter of wearing the wrong size. If you wear form fitting pants that are too small, you are going to have all sorts of issues- front and back.

Gina

>Another great resource, besides Title 9, is activasports.com.
>Some of their fitted shorts have gussets. Activa carrys an
>Underarmour boy cut under short that looks like it might work
>or at least it claims to be the thong free choice for no panty
>lines!
>

The Underarmour boy shorts are quite nice -- you may get lines but they are not in such obvious places (I don't know for sure as I wear them with loose shorts to prevent any accidental flashes). The fit is quite snug, so be sure to try them on before picking a size! A lot of sports shops have them in stock.

I've also found some cotton boy-short style underwear by Hanes and Fruit of the Loom at places like WalMart. They work well if you prefer all cotton. I personally prefer the Underarmour ones because they wick moisture away quite well, so I don't have a damp crotch area.

Eileen

Regarding thong comfort....I used to tease my daughter for wearing thongs when she was a teenager. I used to ask her, "Why bother?". She swore they were very comfortable. Yeah right!

Well a few years later I bought a pair, just to try them out and I love the way they feel (dont' feel) under my clothes. I have learned that they cannot be too small or it will be painful.

I don't think I'll ever go back to regular underwear. I used to hate the way my panty lines would crawl up under my jeans and I really think it's unattractive seeing panty lines under other women's clothing.

I could definitely see a problem wearing them when rowing!!! OUCH:7

This thong talk if kind of funny. My mom always used to tease me about wearing a thong. She would always compain about her underware being up her butt and having to pick it out. I told her she should get a thong and try it. SHe would always say "how can you stand to have that up your butt all the time?" I told her there would be less there than when hers would go up her butt and that after awhile she would forget about it. She has been wearing them for a few years now.

if my workout shorts/pants have the little crotch area.. i don't wear anything... if they don't, i wear panties...

however, the only shorts that don't have it are my loose fit lycra shorts from target.. that may be an idea if you have a target near you! they are the jacque moret brand and they are called loose fit bike shorts. they are really cute too!

Well, it looks like my problem has been solved! My favorite fitness wear company, Fit Couture, has just released a new short. They're the perfect shape and fabric for my rowing classes (which I am LOVING, btw) and they look like I'll be able to wear seamless undies underneath. It's like the nice folks at Fit Couture were reading my mind!! If you've been looking for something similar, you can find them at: http://www.fitcouture.com/item4014_santafe_shorts.php#

Cheers,
Dorie :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.