Venting Update:

janiejoey

Cathlete
Hi all,

Today was Joe's (my husband) court date. The court lifted the "no contact" order. Since this was an abuse case, he can't come home until all the weapons (guns) are out of the house and no longer under his control. His son will be coming to collect them in a day or two. The court asked me if there was any statement that I would like the court to consider in making their sentencing decision. I made up a couple of paragraphs and read this to the court:

"It will do no good to sentence Joseph to jail. We as married partners need to work through these circumstances. I'm requesting that Joseph attend an alcoholic program and an anger management program. For myself, a program that can guide me through this trauma.

In our sixteen years of marriage he never physically abused me. I'm asking to allow him to come home so we can learn from the appropriate programs and heal together. Since I wasn't able to contact him or anyone surrounding him, I don't know how he feels about coming back home. I do know that whatever he decides to do concerning him and myself, I will respect that decision.

I believe our love for one another would warrant him to choose to come home and put this experience behind us so we can move on with our lives."

You know, he told the court that he believes that he is not an alcoholic and that if and when we drinks it will be sociable. He is giving me the key to give him permission to drink.

That really made me cringe. He is taking the responsibility off his shoulders and giving it up to me and therefore making me out to be the bad guy.

We still aren't able to sit down and talk yet. But I have to tell you, that there is a list of non-negotiable, negotiable and also a list of the things that will make me happy. On the non-negotiable list is that he goes into an alcoholic and anger management program. If there is any drinking at all for the rest of his life, me present or not, I will leave immediately and will never ever return to his life. I know it might sound horrid, but for my safety it truly has to be that way. Joe gave me no alternative.

There's a lot of fines that happened today. We won't be able to go for our Fall trip this year because of him. Also it is a learning process in progress. There will be more things that I will add or delete from my list for a long time to come.

I'm now going to go to a group gathering on Tuesdays for information about my trauma and on Thursdays meeting for other people like myself who have gone through what I have endured. Each meeting will take 6 weeks to complete. I'm putting in place a plan of escape for if and when I need it. So now for healing and learning.

Thanks for your ears, everyone, I truly needed to vent and you all were there. Thank you beyond words.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

{{{{Hugs}}} Janie. Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll pray Joe recognizes your demands as important and agrees to the therapy. Stay strong and please keep us posted.

(((((Janie)))) not much advise that I can give. Just do what is right for YOU. I hope things work out for you and Joe.

And please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Janie, you are a strong, strong woman. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Thanks for letting us know where you are in your process. Please continue to take good care of yourself.

Thank you for sharing your update. Your post sounds like you are coming from a very strong and centered place. You are being very wise about the situation and making sure your relationship will continue to be a healthy place for you. So sorry for all that you are going through right now. My thoughts are with you and I hope you get the healing and reconciliation that you hope for and surely deserve. Take care of yourself and keep us posted.

Thanks for the update, I've been worried about you!

I think the substance abuse program and anger management programs are great ideas. I only hope that he will realize that his family is at stake, and that he will get the help he needs to heal himself and heal your marriage.

Please continue to keep us updated -- if you feel comfortable. We are all here for you!!

Janie.

You're strong woman. And, very wise as well.
Hang in there and Don't Give In!!

Thanks for the update.

Janie, I admire your courage and convictions. It sounds like you are doing the right things to advance healing and reconcilation. Here's hope and prayers that Joe decides to join you fully in this effort. Deb

Janie,

Thanks for sharing. You are an amazing woman! I admire your strength, honesty and courage. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Jane

I admire you too Janie...and I know what you are going through, trust me...
Have been thinking about you each day, wondering the outcome of this. Sending prayers...

Clarissa

Janie,

Hi. A little while ago "anon" posted realting to similar situation. Wasn't a one off and there were other differences, e.g police involvement and assault charges).

However, I was wondering if you'd be good enough to explain to anon what was the process being able to go to those counselling groups. Are you only able to do that due to the fact that the police were involved and they made the application for the restraining order? Or does everyone who makes applications for restraining orders get the opportunity to the counselling (I am NOT AT ALL REFERRING TO THE PERPETRATOR IN THESE MATTERS).

I hope I am not placing any undue pressure on you as you sound like you are well and truly headed on the right path. But I just thought it might be a good to use your situation to maybe help out another?

Thanks, you will get through this.

Andrea

Janie,

You are a compasionate and loving woman.

Many people tend to confuse love - thinking it should embrace absence of survival and self-preservation. Letting someone abuse you whether emotionally or physically is not a healthy form of love. It is bad for both sides.

Change is a struggle and when addiction is mixed in, rationality can be really hard to find. Joe may not even realize at times that he is manipulating you (like he did by giving you the reins on his drinking). I have noticed that if people are sincere, their immediate reactions may still be outbursts (but not violent ones) or irrational arguments. When they cool down, they are able to accept the truth.

I pray that you have the strength to hold firm on the non-negotiables through Joe's journey. The support group and escape plan are wonderful ideas.

Blessings.

~* Vrinda *~

Andrea and Anon,

The reason I posted this is so it might help someone who is having these kinds of problems.

Anon got a lot of great phone numbers for her situation. And a lot of great advice. It's now up to her to be courages and save herself and her children (pets too) from harms way.

In my case, because I was punched and called 911, and Joe was arrested there is a support group out there called Turning Point.
They are in many states. Usually they go to the court house everyday and obtain the names from the courts for anyone that has been abused by domestic violence. Then they send out support in a form of a letter. All you have to do, is go there or call them and they set you up with these support groups. This is free.

They also help people that want information of what to do if they are frightened and need help with an escape route and information on how to get out. They can provide you with a dwelling place and perhaps a car to go to work, and protect you any way they can. It costs them money so there are volunteers and people who donate for this cause. It's a place to go to as soon as possible to find out what you can do for yourself and your loved ones if something like this happens.

Most importantly they give you information on what is abusive, verbally or physically. A lot of people don't even know when they are being abused. They give you lots of info on that.

It happens in a blink of an eye. You won't be prepared for what may come, unless you get the information you need. And you have to find it in yourself to be brave and do the right thing for everyone involved.

If you think you are in danger get help, before it happens, even if it is only information you need. Prevention and Information is powerful.

Be safe everyone,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Jainie,im so glad that your going to group meetings with people who have had similar trauma. I hope it helps to heal the hurt all of this has caused!

as for your husband-not really sure what to say? I just hope it never happens agian...

Janie, although I have no advice for you, I will keep you and your family in our prayers. Hugs to you!

Janie, you are a strong and brave woman. I admire how you have handled this problem, and how you are so willing to help others in similar situations. Stick to your guns, girl.

Janie,

Wow. I want to join all the others here who are telling you that you're just amazing. I know this is so hard, but it sounds like there is a lot of love guiding your decisions: love for him, your family, people here who are going through similar situations, and, most importantly, for yourself.

I wish I could give you a really big flesh and blood hug. Lots of good, warm thoughts coming your way, girlfriend.

janie,

i can not tell you how many times i have wanted to send you a PM and see how you are doing but I knew you'd post when you were ready for us to know. you sound like you are doing well and handling everything well.

one thing, have you thought about couple's therapy with joey? sometimes, it's hard to hear the ultimatums and truth from the person you love but easier from an outsider. it's just a suggestion but i have known it to help. anger management issues are difficult (especially when coupled with alcohol), but i have found that if the person REALLY wants to change it can happen (it is very difficult but it can). my ex went to therapy twice. when the therapist said the problem was with him (not sure how physically and mentally abusing me was MY problem), he quit. he really believed that i "made him" do what he did. bull$hit!

anyway, it's just a suggestion. it already sounds like you are doing all the right things.

i do think that if the drinking is a trigger, it needs to stop. maybe alcoholics anonymous can help. he can hear other people's stories and how they hit rock bottom before they realized they had a problem. as a therapist, i am not a promoter of AA or against it. i am for ANYTHING that works. i do know that AA has "open meetings" where others can go as well. maybe you could find an open meeting and go with him.

once again, just a suggestion.

you are a strong woman and you will do what you need to. just rememeber one thing: you can love someone unconditionally but you DO NOT need to stay with someone unconditionally.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.