Vegetarian and weight loss

Cbelle

Cathlete
Hi everyone....I've in the past gone veggy and really prefer to eat that way, ideally vegan. However, I find that I tend to put on weight. I assume its from the mostly carb diet. Anyone else have this problem? Is there some way to counteract that?

You might look at the types of carbs you're consuming. Stay away from processed carbs, and favor whole foods (whole grains, vegetables, bean, soy, etc.). Also,avoid flour products and go for the more whole grains (ie: instead of "corn flake" type breakfast cereal that is made from corn flour, choose oatmeal, which is made from rolled oats). The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a couple of books with guidelines for losing weight (or not gaining weight) using vegan foods. I know when I ate this way I was leaner than I am now (but I don't really have the discipline for it at the moment).

Eat plenty of soy: tofu, soymilk, tempeh and soy powder protein drinks to make up for the meatlessness. And not too much starchy stuff: potatoes, flour products and such. Lots of vegetables and soy/bean-heavy choices, fruit, water, herbs. It really works. And don't forget brewer's yeast in juice or soymilk. And spirulina and such. They have protein and lots of nutrients. Lewis Labs makes the best tasting brewers yeast. Also eat ground flax seed for healthy fats you don't get from fish. You can contact me privately for more details or questions.

I gained weight eating vegetarian. I craved protein, and ate lots of cheese, peanut butter and nuts. My sister has done real well, but she does not do any strength training. I know most people can eat beans, rice, etc; to make up for some protein sources, but I have a sensitive stomach and this didnt work for me. I have added fish and some chicken, but no red meat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.