Ummm, I'm kinda like, "done" with the FIRM for now...

Govtgirl

Cathlete
No this isn't a FIRM-bashing thread at ALL, and if it's inappropriate someone tell me, and I'll pull it. And I feel kind of guilty, because I started with the FIRM years ago and had good results, then after a lapse went back to them. Til I found these workouts.

But, I'm just amazed at the difference in the two. Now I see how "stiff" the FIRM is, the instructors don't seem real....I never noticed it before. And Cathe's workouts are just *killers*, and I love it!! All I know is, I've got a renewed enthusiasm for working out, and I wish I had checked back into Cathe years ago.

Is the FIRM mostly seen as being for beginners? I'm not saying I'm advanced (...yet. I'm 46, give me time to catch up!) but I like being challenged on an advanced level. For anyone that's used FIRM, do you incorporate them with Cathe, or have you stopped them altogether? Just curious...

RE: Ummm, I'm kinda like,

I used the Firm years ago, and don't remember enough to comment on the instructors. One thing, though, is that these were the some of the first vids I used for weight work and they were really good to start with. I think that the form pointers are good, but once I discovered Cathe I never went back. It seems, though, that some of the split series were good.

I think, for me, Cathe and crew are more personable and friendly...the Blog giving their bio helps you get to know them more and you just feel comfortable, like working out with your buddies...

Stephanie

The Firm hasn't been The Firm (the original workout that put woman in weights) since Anna Benson lost control years ago.Now its just a lame imitation.

I started with the Firm too, way back when, and credit that for getting me into working out. But until Cathe I didn't even know what the muscles in my shoulders even looked like!

I too am not bashing the FIRM. They are how I got my home workout started 16 yrs ago. With all of the newer releases I would really have to up my weight from what they looked to be using. Even the new Anna Benson releases are not a tough workout. All of my Firm is collecting dust in the closet. I have tried to sell with no success.

I think the FIRM is an excellent choice for beginners. There are no tricky or dancy moves. Yes, Cathe's workouts are *killer*.

I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you completely discount The Firm. I love Cathe, and do her regularly, but I also add in The Firm Classics. I get my best results by mixing up the instructors I use, and the type of workouts.

Doing the Classics with heavy weights will remove any doubt from your mind that The Firm is for beginners! :D

I agree with Jeannie.
The classics rock. I don't like or ever do the Janet G. one though. I know it's a good workout but she just bothers me????
I shouldn't be that way, but on this one, I can't help it :p

I also feel there ain't NOBODY like Cathe.

I still use my Firms, but I do have to heavy up the weights and ramp up the cardio. I am currently more focused on the 4 day split, so I have less time for the Firm. I think the Firm is intermediate and can be made low advanced. All in all, I still think they have a place in my rotation. I personally enjoy the MI's, and think they do a good job. I'm not really fond of their latest system, though. Now that one is easy.

By all means the classic FIRM is a terrific workout. My favorite is Vol. 1. Maybe I'll pull that out today. I was mostly referring to all the newer releases under the new marketing company as not being tough workouts.

Christie

I think the classic Firms and--even moreso--the 'post-classic'/'pre-Goodtimes' Firms (from "Tortoise/Hare" through before the Body Sculpting system) can be very effective workouts, and they especially work the glutes really well (better than Cathe did for me, until she started incorporating step-ups and some other moves) but the newer Firms--with very few exceptions--just aren't the Firm anymore.

The only improvement the newer Firms have over the old ones is that the instructors seem a bit less "Stepford wives"-like.

The Firms were meant to be for all fitness levels, but I don't think the more recent ones, at least most of them, are 'advanced.'

The Firm was critical in getting me where I am today and I still break out the classics for a good workout. They can't and shouldn't be discounted for their quality. The newer (GoodTimes produced) DVDs...well....not so much.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.