Total body versus Split - Pro and cons

I like what she says about if you only workout 3 times a week, do circuits (total body). This summer, I have been working out M, W, F and riding horses T, Th, S. Circuits have been wonderful, and I'm seeing great results. There is no dread factor in them. The time goes by so quickly, and I have a smile on my face the whole time. I've lost weight but not muscle. They have been surprisingly effective for me.

For me, it depends on the results I want. If I want to put on some muscle, I train a couple of body parts a day, each body part gets worked twice a week. I lift very heavy, for six to eight reps. Sometimes, six to twelve reps. Just depends on what I see when I look in the mirror. My training is about an hour or less. If I train more than an hour, I start to fatigue, and the workout suffers. If I want to lean out and get cut, I will do whole body training three times a week, with two days of hiit, and one day of long slow and boring cardio. I love metabolic workouts, so I will throw a couple of those in the mix as well. The whole body training is as heavy as I can lift for fifteen to twenty reps. I can get very defined with this. But, what works for me may not work for others. Evidently, I know my body too well. Does that mean I have been training too many years? I hope not!!:)

Karen- it's great to know your own body so well. I usually do splits 4 days per week, and then a total body on day 6. Having read the article last week, I thought I may shake things up and do a few weeks of total body. I agree that total body has a much greater metabolic effect, and it's easier to ' lean out' on that sort of workout.

I agree with desertambrosia. You have taken words out of my mouth! !
Total body such as muscle max and power hours do work.
I lost weight, toned up my body mixing with circuit such as cardio and
Weight.

When I wanted visibly defined muscles I needed to add muscles.
I needed to change the training method and discovered split.
My body responded of course. I had fun pumping too;-)

Last edited:
I like what she says about if you only workout 3 times a week, do circuits (total body). This summer, I have been working out M, W, F and riding horses T, Th, S. Circuits have been wonderful, and I'm seeing great results. There is no dread factor in them. The time goes by so quickly, and I have a smile on my face the whole time. I've lost weight but not muscle. They have been surprisingly effective for me.

Exercise Lover:

which circuit workouts have you been doing for this rotation? I have 5 days to work out, and this sounds perfect for me! :)

After reading Cathe's article I decided to switch things up a bit. I was a Total Body person for a long time, then went to split Upper/Lower which I really liked. Now I'm doing a Total body, still a split upper/lower, and adding in a couple metabolic (Afterburn, Athletic Training).

However, I also have PiYo and have been really enjoying that and noticing good results. I would have to go on to say that it is a full body workout but weak in the Back muscle group so I like adding on GS Back or Burnsets Back.

Keep on being awesome :)

Very interesting to read about what others prefer.

My favorite combo has, and probably will always be, either:

2 total body + 1 circuit / metabolic + 2-3 cardio (mix of HiiT and steady state)
or
2 total body + 1 leg day + 2-3 cardio + 1 yoga

I love that post-total body workout feeling, knowing that I've hit every last muscle. That burn from higher reps and compound moves is really motivating for me! This approach enhances my endurance like nothing else, and my muscles "pop" the most when I'm doing this type of training.

However, I do force myself to do at least a full month heavy split rotation every so often because, for me, this is the only way I actually get stronger in terms of being able to lift heavier weight loads. Oddly, I don't feel like I get the same aesthetic benefits as I do with total body/circuits/metabolic training, but the challenge to build my strength is important for me personally. Plus, I have noticed I need to keep my eating very very clean during these rotations since I do limit the cardio.

Lisa

Fox2star, when I only have an hour or so, I love to do workouts like Athletic Training, Low Impact Circuit, Circuit Max, and Step, Jump, and Pump. When I have a tad more time, I've been making my own circuits out of Cathe's cardio plus UB from a weight workout. For example, I mix To the Max with Power Hour UB. It comes in around 1hr and 35 min and burns mega calories. To make it like a circuit, I do part of To the Max, then switch to PH and do a couple body parts, then back to TtM, etc thru to the end. Here's some more of the combos I've done and really enjoyed: Cardio Core Circuits plus STS Total Body UB plus Core, Circuit Blast plus Max. Int. Strength UB. Low Impact Challenge (PM 5) plus Pyramid UB. You get the idea. Then I add a segment from Ab Circuits if I still have time. I go to a Pilates class twice a week, so I don't always do the core parts if I don't have time. By making my own circuits, it keeps it really fresh -- feels like a brand new workout!! Get creative!

I've been incorporating more of a total body approach to train for muscle endurance for a hiking trip next month. Last week I did:
STS TB
Tabatacise
Flextrain
High Reps
Afterburn
Turbo Barre

This week will be:
Tabatacise
Pyramid (total body combo)
X10
High Step Challenge
Supercuts
XT Legs (all)

I have lost inches and feel leaner doing this...plus it is fun to mix it up and do something other than splits :p

What are peoples favourite total body workouts? I did power hour yesterday. My weights were all wrong, so I didn't get a great workout- I need to be braver with the chest and back weights.:eek: the squats almost killed me, but I went into the workout with tight legs.
The TB workouts all seem to be higher reps than the splits - I know I need to work on my endurance more....

What are peoples favourite total body workouts? I did power hour yesterday. My weights were all wrong, so I didn't get a great workout- I need to be braver with the chest and back weights.:eek: the squats almost killed me, but I went into the workout with tight legs.
The TB workouts all seem to be higher reps than the splits - I know I need to work on my endurance more....

I can understand how you feel about power hour. It's no joke!
The squat session last six minutes. It involves traditional squat with
Eccentric moves and go straight to plies....rolles eyes:eek:
It's high reps and tough. It's one of my favourite.

For pure lifting my favorites are: muscle max and STS total when I want to work hyper trophy.
When I want high rep I reach for high rep.

When I want to work endurance in circuit/ metabolic style, there
are tons to choose from: aos, Skogg for kb, athletic training, ttm, cross fire,
High step challenge, cardio and weight etc....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.