Too much sleep??

lay

Is it possible to get too much sleep? I quit my job a few weeks ago so I can sleep in late and don't have a lot to do. I'm naturally a night person, so I can easily stay up late. I'll be up till 2am (sometimes 3!) and sleep till 11am or noon. Then, like today, I'll take a nap for 45 mins! I have no reason to need a nap, but I fall asleep easily! It's also making it harder to exercise cause I'm kinda sluggish.

I don't know if it's just seasonal, or cause it's that time of the month, or cause I'm eating so many empty-caloried goodies. Do I need to set a sleep schedule like I had when I worked (I slept 6-7 hours when I worked, no nap, but was tired at work sometimes)?

Thanks for any opinions...

IMHO, 8 hours a 'night' is not too much. And if you are turning in at 3am and rising at 11 am then...

About the nap. It could be seasonal (short days-not enough sunlight- that SAD thing) it CERTAINLY could be TTOTM and definately could be the junk food. But are you doing more exercising? Especially heavy weights? That really taxes me and I need more sleep. OR could you be BORED? That also puts me out!

-joy

p.s. maybe you weren't getting enough sleep when you were working!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-02 AT 10:36AM (Est)[/font][p]This is a good question. Like you I am a night person I exercise at night and find that this works for me whether I am working or not.

When I started working 4 days a week I found that if I didn't have plans on Friday my day off I would sleep late and still nap during the day. But I also realise that I often went to bed late.

I worked out that I was sleeping around 8 hours a day, again I normally sleep 7-8 hours and I do get tired on work days. Time of the month is also a factor.

My conclusion has been that I watch how often I sleep and how active I am (personally I do need to be careful that I put activities in the days I am not working).

So I would suggest looking at your days at home and adding addition activity into it (not just exercise) like catching up with friends etc to fight the fatigue, the danger is with this type energy sapping fatigue is to get in control of it otherwise the danger is it could destroy your good exercise habits if you are not careful.

Just a suggestion.

Babs

Hi lay,

I, too, find myself recently unemployed. I have decided to keep my regular schedule--bed by 9:30, up at 6. However, like you, I am more tired than when I was working. I am putting it off to boredom. I'm trying to find more things to keep me busy but it is very hard. I mean, how many times a week am I going to run the vacuum cleaner, right?

I have actually had a week with no exercise & am really getting frustrated with myself. So, it's back to it tonight whether I want to or not!

Hope you find what works for you.

Deborah

I'm ready to take the next step! http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/a_smil09.gif

Hello there,

I too was made redundant just over a month a go and I have really enjoyed the sleep ins (I don't think I want to go back to work). I usually go to bed around 10.30 - 11.00pm and get up whenever, I don't use an alram clock so if I am tired I will sleep later.

I do think that the boredom factor will mean that you sleep more. However, if you intend to get back to work next year then enjoy the time off and get as much sleep as you can.

I still stick to my workout schedule though as I think that because I have no job, I have no excuse not to work out. In fact, I have used the time to increase my work outs based on Sue's rotation of 2 hours a day.

Yen

Yes, I quit my job in September and have been working out 6 days a week instead of 5, and longer workouts too. And the lack of restaurant lunches has helped me lose about 6-8 lbs.
I think I do sleep a bit more, but I am doing a lot of volunteer work and trying to change careers so I try to get up early anyway. I feel better if I go to bed by 11 and am up by 7:30 or 8 at the latest.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.