Too much cardio??

lov2bfit

Cathlete
I need everyone's expert opinion on what works best for them. I am trying to lose around 20 pounds and am a total cardio junkie. However, I read conflicting information in regards to what is the best way to lose fat and build lean muscle mass (imagine that). I lift weights 3 times a week, but I always do at least 20-30 minutes of cardio after my weight workout. I also do full cardio workouts 2 to 3 times a week. So, essentially I'm doing cardio 5 to 6 days a week. I guess my question is, am I doing too much cardio and should I refrain from doing extra cardio on my weight training days? I have read that too much cardio actually hinders results more than helps them, but at the same time I know that weight loss has so much to due with "calories in/calories out" so by doing more cardio I'm burning more calories per workout. I always wear a heart rate monitor when I workout so mentally I have a difficult time thinking I got a good workout after lifting weights when I've only burned 200 calories.
Any thoughts or experiences you ladies have run into would be greatly appreciated.

Katie

Can I ask Katie how your diet is? That is half the battle. I will also say there has been a ton of discussion on this topic so search the forum. I used to do 5-6 days a week cardio and was not really firmed up the way I wanted. Cut back to 4 days, with one day interval training, added heaiver weights (I actually switch it up alot - weeks of heavy weight low rep, then high rep low weight, some weeks alot of resistance work with no weight - pull ups , push ups, etc.). And that did it, I got pretty ripped. When I cut back the weight training I go mushy - not heavier but mushy. Also, good idea to take rests from time to time. I just went through several weeks of easy workouts after hitting a wall.

Hope that helps.

Julie

I used to be a cardio junkie too. I was doing 5-6 days and now I'm down to about 2 days of weights (no cardio), 1 day circuit, and 2 days full cardio. I think when you do too much cardio, it depletes your energy and your next session doesn't get your "all." At least that was the case with me. Once I cut down my cardio to a couple days a week, I find I have more energy and am able to put in 100% effort. The weight lifting helped me lean out and sculpt muscles too, so that also has helped me keep the weight off.

Hope this helps!

I maintain my weight with no cardio other than walking my dogs a few times per week. I also do practice yoga daily, sometimes a vigorous practice, some days more of a still and introspective practice. I think that eating is really what makes the biggest difference, although cardio certainly can speed it up.

Monica

Thanks for your responses ladies. My diet has certainly not been stellar lately, but I am focused right now on eating very clean, all lean protein, whole grains, fruits and veggies. I try to eat around 1400-1600 calories a day, although I am having a difficult time getting that many calories in my diet.
I think my issue is mostly mental. I did P90X 2 years ago and got in the best shape of my life. Unforutnately, I have no air conditioning in my home workout room, so I'm doing all my workouts in a gym until the weather cools down. I do much better when I follow a workout program like P90X, so I think that's where part of my frustration comes from.

julie, what do you consider "easier workouts"? i just took a whole week of rest, did no workouts, and i am still tired. i just started meso 3 today, and when i get finished, i am gonna kick back some too. i am just worn out. this is my 2nd round w/STS this year, and combined w/the horrible heat down here, i am just fried. i would like to up my cardio some when i finish STS for about a month, and then maybe do a month of firm style workouts, cardio/weights combined. but some of those are not very easy.
but, i kinda like your idea too , melissa
i can't hardly get in more than 2 days of cardio right now doing STS. just too tired.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.